No. 28 Shockers At Tulane for Four-Game Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. 28 Shockers At Tulane for Four-Game Series

No. 28 Wichita State is scheduled to travel to New Orleans, La., for a four-game American Athletic Conference series at Tulane April 16-18.

Game 1: Wichita State (19-9, 7-1 American) at Tulane (14-13, 3-1 American)
    Friday, April 16 | 2 p.m. | New Orleans, La. (Greer FIeld at Turchin Stadium)

Game 2: Wichita State at Tulane
    Friday, April 16 | 5 p.m. | New Orleans, La. (Greer FIeld at Turchin Stadium)

Game 3: Wichita State at Tulane
    Saturday, April 17 | 4 p.m. | New Orleans, La. (Greer FIeld at Turchin Stadium)

Game 4: Wichita State at Tulane
    Sunday, April 17 | 11:30 a.m. | New Orleans, La. (Greer FIeld at Turchin Stadium)

All Games: TV: ESPN+ | Radio: KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM

SCOUTING TULANE:
    The Tulane Green Wave enter the week at 14-13 overall and 3-1 in The American ... The Green Wave have not played since winning three of four games against Memphis April 1-3 in New Orleans ... Tulane was scheduled to play at South Florida for four games April 9-11, but the series was postponed due to COVID-19 issues within the USF program ... Through 27 games, the Green Wave are led offensively by redshirt sophomore infielder Collin Burns (.354 avg., 30 R, 40 H, 11 2B, 3 3B, 1 HR, 14 RBI, .531 SLG%, 10 BB, .419 OB%, 12 SB) and redshirt junior catcher Luis Aviles (.273 avg., 27 H, 11 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 23 RBI, .495 SLG%, 12 BB, .368 OB%) ... Burns is fourth in the conference in batting average ... On the mound, Tulane is paced by preseason American Pitcher of the Year, redshirt junior RHP Braden Olthoff (2-1, 3.00 ERA, 36.0 IP, 34 H, 15 R, 12 ER, 7 BB, 40 SO), redshirt junior LHP Jack Aldrich (2-1, 4.17 ERA, 41.0 IP, 42 H, 25 R, 19 ER, 9 BB, 44 SO) and freshman RHP Zach DeVito (1-1, 3.46 ERA, 3 SV, 13.0 IP, 14 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 13 SO) ... As a team, Tulane is hitting .268 (fifth in American) with a 3.90 ERA (second in American) and .968 fielding percentage (fifth in American) ... The Green Wave are under the direction of fifth season head coach Travis Jewett.

Wichita State Baseball @GoShockersBSB

These four will take the mound for us this weekend in New Orleans:
    Friday | @PrestonSnavely (G1) & Liam Eddy (G2)
    Saturday | @JaceKaminska
    Sunday | @spencer_hynes

Comment

If WSU wants to be taken seriously and get an NCAA bid, they need to win all of their remaining series outside of East Carolina. They need to split with ECU though, at the very least, because they are severely lacking some quality wins.

Im confident Wedge will make sure their heads aren’t in the clouds when things seem to be turning and then subsequently get burned like what happened with the previous regime.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Preseason AAC Pitcher of the Year Braden Olthoff missed his start against Memphis. Their coach said he appeared gassed and the move was preventative, designed to make him ready for the rest of the year. He was slated to make his normal start in Florida last week but Covid shut that down. I'm sure he's set for Friday. Dude has a big league breaking ball and will be exceedingly tough to handle for the best of teams. He beat top 5 Mississippi State earlier this season. He's literally capable of beating any team he faces.

The Green Wave have lots of pitching, but after Braden their starters leave something to be desired, but they have a pen full of guys capable of giving them a quality inning, 1 at a time.

Winning 3 on the road, against a decent team, seems a lot to ask, especially against a team that has one of the better pitchers around, one who is rested and ready.

Shoot, I'd be ok with a split and getting one of the 3 pitchers back that we haven't seen this year (Peters, Hamilton, Lindemann) and getting Kocis back after missing Sunday's game. I don't want to see injuries etc going the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Preseason AAC Pitcher of the Year Braden Olthoff missed his start against Memphis. Their coach said he appeared gassed and the move was preventative, designed to make him ready for the rest of the year. He was slated to make his normal start in Florida last week but Covid shut that down. I'm sure he's set for Friday. Dude has a big league breaking ball and will be exceedingly tough to handle for the best of teams. He beat top 5 Mississippi State earlier this season. He's literally capable of beating any team he faces.

The Green Wave have lots of pitching, but after Braden their starters leave something to be desired, but they have a pen full of guys capable of giving them a quality inning, 1 at a time.

Winning 3 on the road, against a decent team, seems a lot to ask, especially against a team that has one of the better pitchers around, one who is rested and ready.

Shoot, I'd be ok with a split and getting one of the 3 pitchers back that we haven't seen this year (Peters, Hamilton, Lindemann) and getting Kocis back after missing Sunday's game. I don't want to see injuries etc going the other way.
          Olthoff is a stud! San Diego kid. Will be a tough hill to climb if he is on. I think the Shox have a shot a 3/4 but I'd be ecstatic with 2/2 to he honest.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            If WSU wants to be taken seriously and get an NCAA bid, they need to win all of their remaining series outside of East Carolina. They need to split with ECU though, at the very least, because they are severely lacking some quality wins.

Im confident Wedge will make sure their heads aren’t in the clouds when things seem to be turning and then subsequently get burned like what happened with the previous regime.
            Yay, I think you’re making an almost impossible task for the Shox. I don’t totally understand how the NCAA RPI works, bit I know a team needs to win more at home, than on the road. I think we need to stay away from 1-3 series, and have more 3-1 Series. ECU is the one series on the road that a 2-2 series on the road would probably look like a WIN.

ECU is currently ranked 6 in the RPI. Ours is 45. Div1 Magazine currently has us as a 3 Seed in bracketology out of 64 teams. We need to continue to win, but we don’t need to win all of our games.
            Last edited by Shockm; April 15, 2021, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yay, I think you’re making an almost impossible task for the Shox. I don’t totally understand how the NCAA RPI works, bit I know a team needs to win more at home, than on the road. I think we need to stay away from 1-3 series, and have more 3-1 Series. ECU is the one series on the road that a 2-2 series on the road would probably look like a WIN.

ECU is currently ranked 6 in the RPI. Ours is 45. Div1 Magazine currently has us as a 3 Seed in bracketology out of 64 teams. We need to continue to win, but we don’t need to win all of our games.
              Good god, it feels good to be debating sh!t like this, and not who we should hire as our next HC.

Comment

Weather is going to be bad. 1st game moved to 10am. Be lucky to get in 2 all weekend.

Comment

This, feel like I stumbled into the wrong thread. Realistically, a split is about as good as we should hope for. A series win would take Shocker baseball to heights not seen in a decade. It's fun to have hope with dreams of actually making a regional.. We got to this point with Butler several times but promptly got man handled each time ending any momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I believe I said win all our remaining series, not all our remaining games. Your post mirrored my thoughts.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Lineup posted for Game 1. They are going to give it a try, there may be a window to squeeze one in:

2B Sigrist
                      RF VanVooren
                      3B Wallace
                      1B Gibson
                      LF Bartlett
                      CF Stroh
                      C Cadena
                      DH Elliot
                      SS Stewart

The absence of Kocis is extraordinarily disconcerting.

Go Shocks!

Comment

First pitch set for 10:10 as of now. Will likely be start and go today. There may be another window later in the afternoon/early evening.

Comment

Lineup posted for Game 1. They are going to give it a try, there may be a window to squeeze one in:

2B Sigrist
                          RF VanVooren
                          3B Wallace
                          1B Gibson
                          LF Bartlett
                          CF Stroh
                          C Cadena
                          DH Elliot
                          SS Stewart

The absence of Kocis is extraordinarily disconcerting.

Go Shocks!
                          Gibson is starting to hit, and so is Stroh so hopefully they pick us up.

Comment

Mike confirms Kocis has a broken bone in his wrist and is likely out for the year. Just feel horrible for a guy on pace for a record setting year.

Cornblum is doubtful for the weekend with a shoulder injury.

We're likely to learn a lot about the character and fight of this team very, very soon.

Next man up. Let's go Gibby.

Comment

Mike confirms Kocis has a broken bone in his wrist and is likely out for the year. Just feel horrible for a guy on pace for a record setting year.

Cornblum is doubtful for the weekend with a shoulder injury.
                              Whaaat? And double whaaaaat?!?!

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X