WSU at #16 Arizona (3/11-3/13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    Glad we played perfect ball and got so lucky against a good team. Expect us to be embarrassed tomorrow. Air Force and Arizona will both play flawless, meaning we don’t have a chance. Enjoy this luck win like all the basketball luck wins.
    Are you suggesting 5 errors is normal in baseball, especially for a Top 20 team?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Are you suggesting 5 errors is normal in baseball, especially for a Top 20 team?
      Are you suggesting we didn’t gift any runs to Arizona?

Comment

Are you suggesting we didn’t gift any runs to Arizona?
        But is that a normal thing for us to do or an abnormal thing?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We took one, indeed!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

But is that a normal thing for us to do or an abnormal thing?
            But is that a normal thing for Arizona to do or an abnormal thing for Arizona to do?

Comment

But is that a normal thing for Arizona to do or an abnormal thing for Arizona to do?
              Coming into tonight, they had 23 errors in 14 games, so yah, I'd consider 5 errors to be slightly unusual. Especially for a team ranked in the Top 20.

Listen, you can do your thing and dance all night with this, and get butthurt over the fact that someone pointed out that this was a fortuitous win and we didn't look too solid doing it. Feel fortunate about it but I wouldn't get excited and say this team turned the corner with a win like this. Especially considering there's still another day left that could make you look worse and worse with each post you make.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Coming into tonight, they had 23 errors in 14 games, so yah, I'd consider 5 errors to be slightly unusual. Especially for a team ranked in the Top 20.

Listen, you can do your thing and dance all night with this, and get butthurt over the fact that someone pointed out that this was a fortuitous win and we didn't look too solid doing it. Feel fortunate about it but I wouldn't get excited and say this team turned the corner with a win like this. Especially considering there's still another day left that could make you look worse and worse with each post you make.
                Cool. Looking back, I see no one but you saying anything of the sort. To not include the fact that a Top 20 team didn’t play well either on a windy day in Arizona is, in true ShockerFever fashion, disingenuous.

A different year, a different coach, still you constantly only pointing out the negative achievements, and me supporting the boys.

I must have divorced out of Todd Butler’s family and married into Eric Wedge’s family, right?

Speaking of dancing, your song and dance is as outdated as the Macarena.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Is Gibson a BP hero? Nobody behind him? He just strikes out SO much.
                  Yesterday for Kocis at 1st base, wasn't a good trade (Kocis has been hitting pretty good). Gibson is alternating with a good number of other players (mainly in RF), and will play himself out of a position if he doesn't get better value at the plate. Cooper got a couple of hits yesterday, and several others are alternating in the outfield, and it is probably who establishes themselves at the plate will find themselves a regular job out there. I have a feeling that Gibson's power is intoxicating but he still has to have productive bats.

Comment

Losing Kocis after Thursday's game wasn't exactly what we wanted, and it forced an odd lineup last night (and potentially the rest of the weekend).

This team has been pretty clean before Thursday and I'm not going to hang them for being tight on the road against a ranked team.

I thought starting pitching would be our one certain strength, and so far I've been dead wrong. Hynes hasn't sniffed a quality start, Eddy has been ok, but more like a Saturday or Sunday guy, not your ace that we need. Preston has struggled. Hamilton didn't make the road squad this weekend, and Jace doesn't appear ready for starting duty.

On the positive side, Stumpy has been NAILS and deserves a trophy for last night. Tommy has been more than a pleasant surprise (really happy for the senior who came back with no expectation of even making the roster) and maybe Haase had his breakthrough moment last night. Dude has nasty stuff and mid 90s+ velocity. One run game, on the road vs a quality team with big bats, that's a statement close for him. All 3 pitches were on display and 'Zona was very quiet. Man would I like to see him get the ball in a similar spot Saturday night.

Bartlett has been everything and more than we hoped and Kocis has been effective if not consistent enough. We've got to find somebody consistent at short that can hit a little. I think we have something like 1 or 2 hits from the SS spot all season. That's hard to believe.

Bid day today. Our schedule is tough and looking tougher every day. I didn't think Houston was going to be that good, and again I am wrong. Walked off Texas this week and lost a tough 0-1 game to the Horns as well. The Cougars can beat you a lot of ways.

These guys will battle you. They are changing the culture. But we're going to have to find some quality starting pitching or it's going to be a very long season.

We can start today, looking at you Preston Snavely and Josh Hansell.

Would love to see Jacob Lindemann and Connery Peters get in and be effective today,

Comment

• Smell the roses. Big game this afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        But we're going to have to find some quality starting pitching or it's going to be a very long season.

We can start today, looking at you Preston Snavely and Josh Hansell.

Would love to see Jacob Lindemann and Connery Peters get in and be effective today,
                        Thanks for sharing those cogent observations and thoughts Doc. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Snavely although maybe he can do okay against Air Force (4-5), if that the start he gets, although the Falcons beat #7 LSU 6-5 in the 2nd game of their 2 game series after losing to Bayou Tigers 1-6 in the 1st game in Baton Rouge to open their season. In a 3rd game in Baton Rouge LaTedh took apart the Falcons 18-1 which would suggest the Falcons are not real deep in pitching. The following weekend the were swept by New Mexico 11-7, 5-2 and 11-4. Last weekend Air Force swept Army 4-1, 12-1 and 5-4. Air Force was initially schedule to play San Jose State in a 3 game series this weekend but that was postponed. So the game against the Shocks would be a late addition to the schedule but Air Force will have the entire pitching staff rested and avalilable against the Shocks. Air Force is also schedule to play Arizona tomorrow.

Josh Hansell had a good outing in is only appearance against ORU going 5 scoreless innings allowing only 1 hit with 7 K's and 2 BB. I would imaging the 6'6" freshman, who is from the Phoenix suburb of Chander, will have a good representation of family and friends in attendance today. BTW, ORU took 2 of 3 from LSU last weekend.

Do you know which game each will be starting?

Arizona will probably not be in a good mood today after last night's loss to the Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          I have a feeling that Gibson's power is intoxicating but he still has to have productive bats.
                          I think you meant to say the hopes and dreams for Gibosn's power to materialize is intoxicating. He has 7 home runs and has struck out 92 times in 111 career games. I don't think any Shocker home run records are in jeopardy.

Gibson did have pretty decent numbers in last year's truncated 15 game schedule but as we are finding out those games have not had much carryover value.

Comment

• WuDrWu do you know what the story is with Jake Hamilton, Connery Peters, Alex Jackson and Derek Shaver? I am assuming injuries of some kind.

Comment

• I don't know why I haven't noticed this before and it probaly has been discussed and I missed it gut why do the Shocks play 8 consecutive games against Houston? I though maybe that's just an error but then confirmed it on the Houston schedule as well. Do all 8 count as conference games?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Thanks for sharing those cogent observations and thoughts Doc. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Snavely although maybe he can do okay against Air Force (4-5), if that the start he gets, although the Falcons beat #7 LSU 6-5 in the 2nd game of their 2 game series after losing to Bayou Tigers 1-6 in the 1st game in Baton Rouge to open their season. In a 3rd game in Baton Rouge LaTedh took apart the Falcons 18-1 which would suggest the Falcons are not real deep in pitching. The following weekend the were swept by New Mexico 11-7, 5-2 and 11-4. Last weekend Air Force swept Army 4-1, 12-1 and 5-4. Air Force was initially schedule to play San Jose State in a 3 game series this weekend but that was postponed. So the game against the Shocks would be a late addition to the schedule but Air Force will have the entire pitching staff rested and avalilable against the Shocks. Air Force is also schedule to play Arizona tomorrow.

Josh Hansell had a good outing in is only appearance against ORU going 5 scoreless innings allowing only 1 hit with 7 K's and 2 BB. I would imaging the 6'6" freshman, who is from the Phoenix suburb of Chander, will have a good representation of family and friends in attendance today. BTW, ORU took 2 of 3 from LSU last weekend.

Do you know which game each will be starting?

Arizona will probably not be in a good mood today after last night's loss to the Shocks.

The power has probably appeared in intra-squad games and practices which is intoxicating, and I can't believe that they haven't worked with him on his approach to the power and hoping he will harness it at some point, especially with 2 strikes, and runners in scoring position or early in the count looking for a pitch on the inside, etc. But maybe the opponents have him scouted too.

Comment

Working...
                                X