No announcement yet.

WSU vs Dixie State (3/5-3/7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Kaminska is going to be really good when it is all said and done. He has a good makeup on the mound.

Comment

Watching the replay of today's win over Dixie State. Shane reporting that Dixie State and Tarleton State (Texas) both moved up to the WAC this season from D-II. So this is the first year in D-1 for Dixie State.

Not at all impressed with Preston Snavely. A lot of the outs he recorded were on very sharply hit balls. I do not know if he usually pitches in the upper half of the strike zone but a lot of his pitches looked elevated and over the heart of the plate. He is not a flame thrower and his fast ball is pretty straight, or at least it was today. We'll see how it goes but I didn't think he was very good today despite picking up the win.

I am impressed with Corrigan Bartlett. He seems to square up a lot of pitches. Reminds me a bit of Luke Ritter.

I think Cooper Harris looks like he will be a good replacement for Cadena once he moves on and, at 6-1, 225, he should have a bit more power. His home over the left field bleachers today was a no doubter.

There is a very good chance Garrett Kocis won't be back next year. His MLB draft prospects look pretty good to me.

Kaminska probably will be okay. Certainly has the arm. Will need to learn to be a pitcher and not just a thrower. His fastball is pretty straight as well so at this level he will need to work the edges of the strike zone and develop he slider and/or off speed pitches and mix them in properly. Glad to see him get a decent amount of work today.

I made it through the 7th before turning out the lights.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 8, 2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I'm still here, muddafuggas. Just letting the naysayers get their predictable overreactions out of the way. Feeling a little sluggish on all this kool-aid I've been chugging after the price bottomed out.

Alls we needin is a shortstop, and most people would agree that's the least important position in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          I'm still here, muddafuggas. Just letting the naysayers get their predictable overreactions out of the way. Feeling a little sluggish on all this kool-aid I've been chugging after the price bottomed out.

Alls we needin is a shortstop, and most people would agree that's the least important position in baseball.
          Overreactions?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Sorry but naysayin is in order ...

We are NOT going to be that bad this year.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

We'll get a better measure on where the Shockers are later this week at Arizona. The pitching has not been overly impressive overall so far although I guess a 4.33 team ERA is not too bad.

Not sure what the story is with Jake Hamilton and Connery Peters. Have not seen those guys yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                We'll get a better measure on where the Shockers are later this week at Arizona.
                Isn't Arizona an elite program? Seems like maybe too high of expectations to think we are at that caliber already? Especially an away series.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Isn't Arizona an elite program? Seems like maybe too high of expectations to think we are at that caliber already? Especially an away series.
                  Yes, I would call them pretty elite. The are 9 all-time in CWS appearances with 17 and 4 CWS Championships (1976, 1980, 1986, 2012).

This year they are 10-2 with their 2 losses to Ball State in their season opening 4-game series perhas a bit of a surprise. Of there 12 games 8 have been in Tucson and 4 were at a Tournament in Frisco, Texas. In the Frisco Tournament they beat OU twice 20-13 and 12-1, Dallas Baptist 15-8 and Missouri 8-4.

So yeah they are a very good program with a big weather advantage. But if you want a heat check as to where your program stands you will probably get a better answer against an Arizona than a Dixie State, although that answer could be humbling.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Yes, I would call them pretty elite. The are 9 all-time in CWS appearances with 17 and 4 CWS Championships (1976, 1980, 1986, 2012).

This year they are 10-2 with their 2 losses to Ball State in their season opening 4-game series perhas a bit of a surprise. Of there 12 games 8 have been in Tucson and 4 were at a Tournament in Frisco, Texas. In the Frisco Tournament they beat OU twice 20-13 and 12-1, Dallas Baptist 15-8 and Missouri 8-4.

So yeah they are a very good program with a big weather advantage. But if you want a heat check as to where your program stands you will probably get a better answer against an Arizona than a Dixie State, although that answer could be humbling.
                    Yeah I am preparing for humble pie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah I am preparing for humble pie.
                      Probably wise to prepare for that possibility but you never know for sure how things will play out. Arizona currently ranked at #16. Put a pretty goo beating on OU, DBU and Mizzou last weekend scoring 55 runs in 4 games or just shy of 14 runs per game. Sounds like the Shocks pitching staff will be challenged and will probably be the key to the Shocks being competitive against Arizona. Of course, pitching is almost always the key.

Comment

• Arizona re-enters the Top 25 at #24 in D1Baseball and #17 in the Coaches Poll but their performance last weekend was truly elite.

8 SEC teams are ranked, including all of the top 5 spots. Top spot belongs to the Hogs and one of their best players is former Shocker Brady Slavens.

The Wildcats boast the #3 RPI and #11 ELO and are on a nine game heater. Yes, our hands are full, but don't sleep on Air Force either. They beat LSU earlier this season.

Comment

• Sumbitch...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Can we DH for our SS and let our pitchers hit?

Comment

• If our starting pitching can get some consistency to hang some zeros and minimal scoring into the 5th, I think we will be ok. The walks need to get better. I think our pen will be ok, and our hitting will pick up too.

Comment

Working...
                              X