No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Arkansas Pine Bluff/K-State - Feb 25,26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelfrey is a freaking stud. Surprised he doesn't have 48 kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      For those hating on the competition level, buckle up. RPI has KState 25 spots worse than UAPB.
      I'm not buying the kool-aid on this one. UAPB was 1-3 weekend before last against Grambling State, Alabama State, Prairie View A&M and Alcorn State with their only win a 7-6 10-inning affair over 0-5 Prairie View A&M. Last Tuesday they lost at Baylor 10-0 in 7 innings.

K-State hasn't been great splitting 4 with UT-Rio Grande, beating Mizzou 5-1 and then losing 2-5 to TAM-CC and losing 1-2 to Utah.

K-State plays a questionable Fairleigh Dickinson team this weekend so it's possible we might see one of their weekend starters. We'll see I guess.

The first part of the schedule this season is not exactly a murderer's row (thank goodness). We have another 10 days or so of tune up games and then things will get a bit more challenging.

But at this point I don't think HCEW is too focused on the competition. He just trying to get his guys to be the best they can be.

After another chilly one tomorrow, although if the sun is shining as predicted, and if the wind behaves, it might seem downright balmy after today, the Shocks head to Nevada. The temps in Wichita this coming weekend are predicted to be 54, 65 and 66. Isn't that just the way it goes.

I don't want to get too high early this year nor too low later on. But I am very much looking forward to seeing how our pitching and defense holds throughout the year. The offense is clearly an issue currently. How much difference will getting VanVooren and Wallace back in the mix make. Hopefully, we find out sooner rather than later.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 25, 2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Is "high breaking pitch" even a thing? I totally made that up, didnt I?
        Yes, a high breaking pitch is a thing, although not necessarily a good thing. However, the HPB you really want to avoid as a pitcher are the Hanging Breaking Balls. They tend to travel long distances.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm not buying the kool-aid on this one. UAPB was 1-3 weekend before last against Grambling State, Alabama State, Prairie View A&M and Alcorn State with their only win a 7-6 10-inning affair over 0-5 Prairie View A&M. Last Tuesday they lost at Baylor 10-0 in 7 innings.

K-State hasn't been great splitting 4 with UT-Rio Grande, beating Mizzou 5-1 and then losing 2-5 to TAM-CC and losing 1-2 to Utah.
          Obviously, I agree. More of a shot at using RPI or really judging how good teams are at all this early in the season.

Comment

• My guess is we'll see Tommy Barnhouse get the ball tomorrow. Sure would like to see him have the same shot of whatever Liam and Preston got this spring.

At least Friday and Saturday look great in Reno too. Sunday appears very iffy at this point.

Comment

Dude is that real? Backspin causes the ball to break LEFT like that!?!
              Assuming he's throwing a whiffle-ball... you can make those suckers really curve. I used to pitch (seriously, I was a pitcher) way back in the day; Ross couldn't hit my "high breaking pitch".

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Or is he undercutting that ball somehow?
                It's all in the wrist and arm motion... do you bowl?

Notice the 'curve' on this ball...

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Notice the 'curve' on this ball...

Is that former Wichita State All American Chris Barnes in the background?

Comment

• In a show of solidarity for our boys having to play out in this weather, I had my wife fill up the car just now.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In a show of solidarity for our boys having to play out in this weather, I had my wife fill up the car just now.
                      I need some air in a my left front tire. Is she still available?

Comment

Or is he undercutting that ball somehow?

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Yeah I can hit some mean benders in soccer, but if I wanted the ball to bend left like that I would hit it on the right side and spin it counterclockwise. He seems to be spinning it clockwise.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Yes, a high breaking pitch is a thing, although not necessarily a good thing. However, the HPB you really want to avoid as a pitcher are the Hanging Breaking Balls. They tend to travel long distances.

Need to add that one to the favorite movie thread... a classic baseball movie.

Comment

• Now if you want a pitch that may truly being going the way of the DoDo bird, and I have to say I'm sad that may be the case, is the knuckeball.

In MLB, the knuckleball is quickly going extinct

Pittsburgh Pirates slugger Willie Stargell, a Hall of Famer, once compared its flight to “a butterfly with hiccups.”

One of the problems with a knuckle ball is it is about as hard to catch as it is to hit. Bob Uecker used to say the best way to catch a knuckelball was to let it stop rolling and then go pick it up.

Comment

In a show of solidarity for our boys having to play out in this weather, I had my wife fill up the car just now.

Comment

Working...
                                X