Been a Decade Since the Shockers Won 40 Games in a Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a Decade Since the Shockers Won 40 Games in a Season

Shockers finished the 2010 season 41-19; since that season the Shockers have failed to win 40 or more games. How many seasons will pass before HCEW delivers a 40 win season?

Fifty-six (56) regular season games scheduled in 2020, with only seven games scheduled against ranked teams (2 each against OU and OSU; 3 against ECU).

That's a very sad statistic.

We ain't getting close this year so you might as well stop there. I think next year is also gonna be well short but there will be solid improvement with the turnover. In 2022, I expect to be within the 40-win range or close to it. Most importantly, we should be becoming apart of the NCAA field again.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      That's a very sad statistic.

We ain't getting close this year so you might as well stop there. I think next year is also gonna be well short but there will be solid improvement with the turnover. In 2022, I expect to be within the 40-win range or close to it. Most importantly, we should be becoming apart of the NCAA field again.
      That is a reasonable expectation. I don't think we finish last this year in the conference as well.

Comment

In reference to returning to the tournament, especially in this league where multiple bids are the norm.

Early returns on UCF and UCONN are strong. The Knights are 7-1 and coming off a 3 game road sweep at (hold your breath) an SEC school! (Auburn) The Knights will be ranked tomorrow.

UCONN just took 3 of 4 against Michigan. They're just a solid program right now and will be missed when they depart for the Bleast.

Tulane is good. Won 2 of 3 at Fullerton. 6-1. Will be getting votes this week.

ECU is ECU. WSU light from 80-2005.

Houston is 3-4 but has lost 3 extra inning games (one of those a 3-2 loss to #1 Texas Tech) and has a win over #25 Stanford. The Cougars will be solid.

Cincy is 0-6 against solid competition.

Memphis is 4-3 against poor competition.

USF is struggling badly out of the gate. 2-6 and not against very good competition.

A winning overall record and a 6th place finish in the league are realistic goals for this team.

Comment

I know you're optimistic but do you really think 6th place is realistic?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

One of the comments that struck me early on when the staff was put together was from Hibbs. It was like he was incredulous that WSU couldn't return to the NCAAT in fairly short order. The impression he gave me was that in the AAC you had to work your way up to 4th-ish to make a regional and it was a joke that someone couldn't do that at WSU.

It was like he was saying "we may not be ready for Omaha in 2 years but for #@(& sake we aren't finishing 8th.

I'm not going to get stuck on the 40 win thing. Schedules are different now, both in who and how many we play.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              I know you're optimistic but do you really think 6th place is realistic?
              Realistic is probably too strong. I think it's a reasonable goal to shoot for. I don't think it's crazy to think we can beat Memphis 2 of 3, USF 2 of 3 or sweep and win 2 of 3 against Cincy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                One of the comments that struck me early on when the staff was put together was from Hibbs. It was like he was incredulous that WSU couldn't return to the NCAAT in fairly short order. The impression he gave me was that in the AAC you had to work your way up to 4th-ish to make a regional and it was a joke that someone couldn't do that at WSU.

It was like he was saying "we may not be ready for Omaha in 2 years but for #@(& sake we aren't finishing 8th.

I'm not going to get stuck on the 40 win thing. Schedules are different now, both in who and how many we play.
                Great point about Loren who KNOWS college baseball and many American teams and what it takes to get to the tournament. We certainly need talent, but one shouldn't underestimate the coaching talent and mostly how hard AND smart this program is working right now towards a unified goal.

Comment

Maybe not the place for this...is Wichita a good high school baseball town anymore? Is that a key to a quicker turnaround?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Realistic is probably too strong. I think it's a reasonable goal to shoot for. I don't think it's crazy to think we can beat Memphis 2 of 3, USF 2 of 3 or sweep and win 2 of 3 against Cincy.
                    Agree with your thinking, I am hoping for a .500 season this year; 28 victories would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

To continue on this, 6th place is probably 11-ish league wins. If we can average 2 wins against the 3 teams below us (not crazy), we would need to average 1 win against the 5 teams ahead of us (also not crazy). It seems, as you said, to be a reasonable place to shoot for. The 3-7 spots have been really muddled the last few years in the AAC, so if you get yourself in that mix you never know if somehow pulling out 1 more somewhere along the line puts you in a 3-way tie for 4th. It'd be nice to be part of that muddled middle this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Agree with your thinking, I am hoping for a .500 season this year; 28 victories would be much appreciated.
                        28 W's with a sweep of the Kansas schools would be delicious.

Comment

Don't get swept, especially at home, and you could be looking at 35 wins going to the AAC tourney. Schedule is somewhat favorable.

Comment

You just had to remind us of this sad fact? Thanks man.

Comment

Okay, you guys said 28 is the magic number.

We are sitting 12-2 and have not ran the guantlet yet.

Where do we get 16 wins from here?
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X