Recruiting, class of '21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolle, Drummond: One last time

So the 6-foot-7, 230-pound Wichita State signee didn’t disappoint in his outing on Wednesday in the OCABCA All-Star Game. Pitching for the North, Tolle allowed just two base runners and one hit in the three innings he came in to relieve.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...me/5177371001/
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
      Tolle, Drummond: One last time

So the 6-foot-7, 230-pound Wichita State signee didn’t disappoint in his outing on Wednesday in the OCABCA All-Star Game. Pitching for the North, Tolle allowed just two base runners and one hit in the three innings he came in to relieve.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...me/5177371001/
      Yes please, give us more.

Comment

Originally posted by east mall View Post
        WuDrWu

Perfect Game Rankings posted by request:

Oklahoma
        #15 Jackson Young C National Top 500
        #19 Payton Tolle LHP National Top 1000
        I thought I saw on Perfect Game Rankings that Payton Tolle was the #2 Pitcher in the State of Oklahoma. If true pitchers in Oklahoma must not be very good compared with position players. That’s kind of surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I thought I saw on Perfect Game Rankings that Payton Tolle was the #2 Pitcher in the State of Oklahoma. If true pitchers in Oklahoma must not be very good compared with position players. That’s kind of surprising.
          Or maybe he's that talented?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Or maybe he's that talented?
            I don’t see your point that the #2 Pitcher in the state, is the #19 player in the state indicates talent. Usually, the top two pitchers would be Top 10 players.

For comparisons, last year Jace Kaminska was the #1 Pitcher in Kansas and the #1 ranked player also.

Comment

Tolle is horribly under ranked as the #9 pitcher in Oklahoma. I will say the #1 pitcher in Oklahoma Jackson Jobe is the truth. Likely a first round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by east mall View Post

Tolle is horribly under ranked as the #9 pitcher in Oklahoma. I will say the #1 pitcher in Oklahoma Jackson Jobe is the truth. Likely a first round pick.
                https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/n...k-4-1873450269

Here is the information I saw on Payton Tolle.

Prep Baseball Report is where I saw the ranking on Tolle. They had him as the 7th best player in Oklahoma and the 2nd best Pitcher. Obviously, the service you used had him ranked lower. Obviously, I (probably most of us) hope PBR is right.

PAYTON TOLLE LHP / 1B / BETHANY, OK / 2021

Rankings STATERANK: 7 / POS: 2
                One of the most physical players in the country at 6-foot-7, 230-pounds the Wichita State commit is another two-way prospect on our list. On the mound, the left-hander has been reported up to 92 mph in the early spring. Offensively, the left-handed hitter shows light tower power and developing barrel control.
                Last edited by Shockm; May 22, 2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Here is a link to the separate Payton Tolle thread that was started by shoxlax about 3 weeks ago before the recruiting threads were made sticky.

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...le#post1297456

Comment

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/n...k-4-1873450269

Here is the information I saw on Payton Tolle.

Prep Baseball Report is where I saw the ranking on Tolle. They had him as the 7th best player in Oklahoma and the 2nd best Pitcher. Obviously, the service you used had him ranked lower. Obviously, I (probably most of us) hope PBR is right.

PAYTON TOLLE LHP / 1B / BETHANY, OK / 2021

Rankings STATERANK: 7 / POS: 2
                    One of the most physical players in the country at 6-foot-7, 230-pounds the Wichita State commit is another two-way prospect on our list. On the mound, the left-hander has been reported up to 92 mph in the early spring. Offensively, the left-handed hitter shows light tower power and developing barrel control.
                    If anyone has a link to the Pay for Premium Content portion of PBR, please look it up. It would be interesting to compare the data that East Mall had on Shocker recruits. PBR has rankings on the top players from all states for 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Comment

NM

Comment

As requested a few weeks back, here's my updated list for 2021. There are a couple of additions from before. Let me know if I missed anybody.

TEXAS
                        2B Will Stark, 5-11 172, Katy TX (Obra D. Tompkins)
                        SS/2B Booga De La Garza 5-11 170, Austin TX (McCallum)
                        INF Xavier Casserilla 6-0 210, Haslet TX (V.R. Eaton) {Summer Ball: Hutchinson Monarchs, Sunflower League}
                        RHP Robert Cranz 6-2 180, Keller TX (Keller)
                        RHP Taylor Calcote 6-3 185, Granbury TX (Granbury)
                        OF Zachary Harrison, 6-0, 185, Aledo TX (Aledo)

MISSOURI
                        RHP Will Stevens 6-2 220, Kansas City MO (Park Hill / Iowa Western CC) {Summer Ball: Frederick Keys, MILB Draft League }

NEW MEXICO
                        C/OF/RHP Aiden May 5-10, 135 Tueras NM (Sandia)

OKLAHOMA
                        LHP/1B Payton Tolle, 6-7, 240, Bethany OK (Bethany) {Summer Ball: 316 Sluggers SCL}
                        ???? LHP Cooper Jenson, 6-5, 200, Edmond OK (Santa Fe)
                        C-!B Jackson Young, 6-1 200, Stillwater OK (Stillwater)
                        OF-1B Drew Miller, 6-2 210, Pryor OK (Pryor, Neosho CC) {Summer Ball: Souris Valley Sabre Dogs Expedition League}

ARIZONA
                        RHP Ty Howry, 6-6 235, Peoria AZ (Northwest Christian)

MINNESTOA
                        RHP Ben Taxdahl, 6-1 200, Prior Lake MN (St. Thomas Academy)

KANSAS
                        C/3B Alex Birge, 6-0 190, Olathe KS (West)

PENNSYLVANIA
                        LHP Jace Miner, 6-3 187 Reynoldsville, PA (Brookville)

CANADA
                        LHP Graham Brunner, 6-2 240, Sherwood Park, AB, Canada (Foothills Composite, Barton CC) {Summer Ball: Oktoks Dawgs W. Canadian Baseball League }
                        (All Jayhawk West / First team All-Region VI))

DECOMMITS (New school)

NEBRASKA
                        (NEBRASKA) 1B Matthew Guthmiller Jr. 6-1, 175 Omaha NE (Millard South)

TEXAS
                        (MCNEESE ST) 3B Shane Martin 6-3 196 Spring TX (Grand Oaks)

MISSOURI
                        (Parkland College) C Logan Reidelberger 6-3 187 Fort Zumwalt MO (South)

KANSAS
                        (Creighton) -- C Ivan Witt Fort Scott KS (Fort Scott)
                        (OU) -- 2B Jackson Nicklaus Andover KS (Andover)
                        (Barton County) OF Owen Reynolds Goddard KS (Eisenhower)
                        Last edited by Wuzee; June 4, 2021, 11:09 AM. Reason: Added question marks to Cooper Jenson pending confirmation that he's reclassifying. Changed Calcote from 3B/RHP to RHP.
                        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Wuzee , a player who lists 3 positions of catcher, pitcher, and outfield is a new one on me.

Were all the decommits new incoming players? Was Nicklaus from Andover or Blue Valley? Hate losing someone to OU.

Did Nebraska come in late on Guthmiller?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Wuzee , a player who lists 3 positions of catcher, pitcher, and outfield is a new one on me.

Were all the decommits new incoming players? Was Nicklaus from Andover or Blue Valley? Hate losing someone to OU.

Did Nebraska come in late on Guthmiller?
                            In most if not all cases, the departed were very early commits made to the Butler regime. I don't have particulars about why they decommited.

On the three positions thing: I'm using the positions listed in either PBR or PG. I believe it is likely that the first listed position is their primary position, but I can't confirm that to be the case.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Here is the Top 100 recruiting classes as ranked by Perfect Game.

The Shocks have fallen from #95 to #97 in the last couple of days. However, it only lists 10 players. The list prepared above by Wuzee has 17 players listed.

Not listed by Perfect Game are:

RHP Will Stevens 6-2 220, Kansas City MO (Park Hill / Iowa Western CC) {Summer Ball: Frederick Keys, MILB Draft League }
                              LHP/1B Payton Tolle, 6-7, 240, Bethany OK (Bethany)
                              LHP Cooper Jenson, 6-5, 200, Edmond OK (Santa Fe)
                              OF-1B Drew Miller, 6-2 210, Pryor OK (Pryor, Neosho CC) {Summer Ball: Souris Valley Sabre Dogs Expedition League}
                              LHP Graham Brunner, 6-2 240, Sherwood Park, AB, Canada (Foothills Composite, Barton CC) {Summer Ball: Oktoks Dawgs W. Canadian Baseball League }

Harrison and Jenson are apparently in PG's data base but neither are ranked by PG.

Perfect game shows Tolle and Howry as uncommitted.

Stevens, MIller and Brunner are Juco transfers and I think Perfect Game only evaluates high school players so that explains those 2. I guess they just haven't caught up with the other

Also they list William Calcote a RH from Granbury, TX and Wuzee lists this player as Taylor Calcote. I have seen him listed both ways. My guess is one is by his first and one by his middle name that he prefers to go by. Not sure which is which but it matters little. My guess is Taylor is his middle name and that he prefers that.

It does bring in to question the accuracy, or at least the up-to-datedness of the Perfect Game class rankings. My opinion is not to put too much stock in them other than perhaps at the very top fo the list.

FWIW (if anything) here are the other AAC programs on this list:

#37 South Florida (14 HS Commitments)
                              #51 East Carolina (13 HS Commitments)
                              #54 Central Florida (10 HS Commitments)
                              #66 Houston (13 Commitments)

Prep Baseball Report's rankings are only available behind their pay wall. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

Probably the best way to check out these guys is to get out and watch some Shocks fall ball. But the ultimate test is how do they perform when the lights go on in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Here is the Top 100 recruiting classes as ranked by Perfect Game.

The Shocks have fallen from #95 to #97 in the last couple of days. However, it only lists 10 players. The list prepared above by Wuzee has 17 players listed.

Not listed by Perfect Game are:

LHP/1B Payton Tolle, 6-7, 240, Bethany OK (Bethany)
                                LHP Cooper Jenson, 6-5, 200, Edmond OK (Santa Fe)

Harrison and Jenson are apparently in PG's data base but neither are ranked by PG.

Perfect game shows Tolle and Howry as uncommitted.

Stevens, MIller and Brunner are Juco transfers and I think Perfect Game only evaluates high school players so that explains those 2. I guess they just haven't caught up with the other

Also they list William Calcote a RH from Granbury, TX and Wuzee lists this player as Taylor Calcote. I have seen him listed both ways. My guess is one is by his first and one by his middle name that he prefers to go by. Not sure which is which but it matters little. My guess is Taylor is his middle name and that he prefers that.

It does bring in to question the accuracy, or at least the up-to-datedness of the Perfect Game class rankings. My opinion is not to put too much stock in them other than perhaps at the very top fo the list.

FWIW (if anything) here are the other AAC programs on this list:

#37 South Florida (14 HS Commitments)
                                #51 East Carolina (13 HS Commitments)
                                #54 Central Florida (10 HS Commitments)
                                #66 Houston (13 Commitments)

Prep Baseball Report's rankings are only available behind their pay wall. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

Probably the best way to check out these guys is to get out and watch some Shocks fall ball. But the ultimate test is how do they perform when the lights go on in the spring.
                                There are commits from PBR that aren't commits on PG and vice versa. You have to use both, I think. I also try to confirm WSU commitment based on social media posts by the players themselves. Things change, of course, but at least at one time, all of those players committed publicly to WSU. Generally, kids this age aren't using Twitter on the regs, but there's a well-established culture of announcing commitments on Twitter that seems to be persisting. When the players remove WSU references from social, as in the case of the decommitted players, I either remove them from the list or drop a question mark next to their names until I know for sure -- which is, as you noted, the start of fall ball.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X