No announcement yet.

2019/2020 Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An aside: Sammy Esposito lands gently as hitting coach/third base coach for Houston. See you next year, Sammy.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear it. As far as I can tell Sammy is a solid baseball guy.

Good for him

Comment

I'm just going to leave this here. Because I think it's important to keep in mind. And quite fun to peruse.

Comment

Wow, Phil Stephenson is on there a lot! Makes one wonder... :unconscious:

Comment

• BOBB
          BOBB commented
          Editing a comment
          Phil had 300 walks in his career. Could you imagine a player in our recent memory getting to 150 in a career?

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Phil was extremely disciplined at the plate no doubt about it. 65-85 games a season, with 10-15 of those often times against KCAC type foes (1980 for example 26 games against non D1 competition Hawaii-Hilo, Phillips, Minnesota-Morris, Augustana, NE Missouri, Benedictine, Kansas Newman, Friends, NW Oklahoma, Bethany, Kearney State and OKC). Not Dismissing Phil at all. I consider Phil a friend and he was the best hitter I ever saw but comparing stats playing 56 games with ones playing 10-25 more games, and basically no non D1 competition as compared with 1/3 of the schedule against non D1 just isn't apples to apples.

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          Most of those WSU numbers are never being broken by anyone. Different era. But it is fun to look at. And it's not like it didn't translate well to the highest level at the time, either. Also, a walk for Phil was essentially a double, given the stolen base prowess.

silly question... is joe carter involved with wichita state at all?

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Joe spoke at Gene's HOF induction in December. Sounded great as always. So personable. I don't hear a lot from him, but I suspect that he'll be more involved in the coming months and years, as will many baseball alumni.

Nostradamus
        you consider Phil a friend?
        you “don’t hear a lot from” Joe Carter?
        #humblebrag

Comment

The man passes on information that he has first hand knowledge of and you have some off hand patronizing remark. Seems like you have a “little” envy going. I saw no where in his posts that he was buddies with Phil or Joe just personal comments unlike others that heard it from the wife’s third cousins best friends stylist.

Comment

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait... what did the wife's third cousin's best friend's stylist say??? ;-)

She agreed with the good doctor. But she did mention Joe needed a better haircut and style

Comment

It's been a quiet week. I would think an announcement regarding an assistant coach is not too far off.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              As usual, you're thoughts are spot on.

• WichitaStateGuy
              WichitaStateGuy commented
              Editing a comment
              Be still, my heart.

• I think Standiford will announces this week. But I have nothing concrete on it

Comment

• PJ had a couple of interviews.

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge@tayloreldridge 2m2 minutes ago More
                • Copy link to Tweet
                • Embed Tweet

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, WSU baseball coach Eric Wedge is expected to hire outside of the Shocker family for the assistant/lead recruiter role. Former Shockers Mark Standiford, Kevin Hooper and PJ Forbes all interviewed. Expect an announcement soon.

Comment

• Excited to hear who he is going with. I was personally pulling for a legacy hire, but I'm totally on board with whatever. Wedge is ultimately responsible, so he should be in charge of getting whomever he thinks is best fit to help him get the job done right.

Comment

• I think this is another hire that we will be excited about. I’m sure Coach wanted the best established D1 coach/recruiter he could find to bring onto an already really solid staff.

Comment

• People always have a very different meaning of 'soon' than I do.

Comment

Working...
                      X