Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Boom
    So is it time for me to go get a SCOOTER?

78-65

Comment

Thing like this just gives you have more confidence in MSBGA.

Comment

• Shocker85
        Shocker85 commented
        Editing a comment
        MSBGA?

• Downtown Shocker Brown
        Downtown Shocker Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        Make
        Shocker
        Baseball
        Great
        Again

Schwing.

Wedge and Hibbs weren't even on my list as I didn't think they'd consider the job, even if offered.

Now Wedge is the head coach, and Hibbs is back with the program while not even taking an assistant coach position. I can't even with the excitement. The fact that these guys care so much about this program, and seeing it restored, really gives me hope. I'm not saying they aren't getting paid, and paid what they are worth, but none of Wedge/Pelfrey/Hibbs need these jobs. They are here because they want to be, because they feel ownership of the program and are disappointed at its current state. And they think they can do something about it. That's incredible.

Speaking purely about the qualifications of the hire, that checks legacy and SIGNIFICANT college baseball experience. I'd say that part is covered, leaving the other assistant coach and Volunteer positions free from really needing any of that experience (IMO).
      Last edited by Cdizzle; June 14, 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

It does seem apparent that this is an ALL IN effort for Shocker baseball. To have an AD that is also an Asst. Baseball Coach (it would appear that he will be the coach on the bench to have Eric Wedge's ear and co-councel.

Comment

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure that Hibbs is an assistant coach. I read it that he is basically a DOBO, but with a higher title (and presumably pay grade) making him also an assistant AD. But I really have no idea.

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          In the article (i think from Charlotte paper), Hibbs referred to himself as an Asst. Baseball Coach for Eric Wedge. I would be just guessing but I agree that it will not include off campus recruiting and other duties, but this is what he called himself.

• Cdizzle
          Cdizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          The closest I can find is this "When Eric was hired and asked me to join his staff,"(https://charlotte49ers.com/news/2019...ead-coach.aspx) but all the articles have referred to him with the title WSU used, Assistant AD for Baseball Operations/Player Development.

Scooter does in fact fill the DOBO position. Still have the Assistant Coach/Hitting Coach and the Volunteer Assistant position to go.

Getting Eric was a tape measure home run by any standards. Those kayaks would need an outboard to chase that one down in the bay.

Keeping Pelfrey, for my money, was at least a stand up triple. You've got a pretty young man, with all kinds of experience and success at the highest level, who loves WSU baseball and is all in on his job. He has little if anything bogging him down and doesn't need to worry about his future, PLUS he bridges the gap with the players still here.

I don't even know what to call the Hibbs hire. He brings D1 knowledge and experience and can do all the DOBO stuff because he DID the DOBO stuff at UNCC for years. Best as I can tell, they only hired a DOBO a few years ago, so you know Scooter was doing all the work. I am not sure if that position can "recruit" but I KNOW he can evaluate and organize recruiting. He's been a winner everywhere he's been, and clearly he is all in on WSU. Seriously, name a living person better fit for that job. Seriously. Theo Epstein? He doesn't "wear" WSU like Scooter but he's pretty good at managing players. I suppose most young D1 head coaches would be as good in a lot of areas, but still wouldn't be sold on WSU like Loren will be. It's an amazing hire.

It won't surprise me if they wait to name the remaining 2 positions. They can ride the wave of excitement for a few days at least. Obviously, like Shane Dennis said on the radio this morning, the next guy has to be a recruiter. Shane didn't name names, but the inference I got was that puts a real damper on Hooper, BUT to be clear, that's my thought and my thought alone. But it does seem to make sense.

I think there's some REALLY strong candidates out there, many that don't have ties to WSU. Downtown Shocker Brown knows most of them and may share his thoughts soon.

Nevertheless, you can take any 2 props from Jeff Dunham at this point and you've probably got a top 20 coaching staff in the country, at least. Looking forward to what happens next.

Comment

Incredibly stoked about this hire! Having him at any position in the program is a major coup. My guess is that he will organize and evaluate potential recruits for whoever will be doing the primary recruiting and lead the charge of development of the players.

I definitely think the assistant coach that is hired needs to have recruiting experience. They need to be able to go in and sell the program and evaluate talent. I don't necessarily think this means it won't be someone like Hoop. He has been involved in this in a capacity as a player, and has the fire for the program to be able to sell it.

Comment

Scooter's better half. Who knows, our behind the scenes work might be getting better too.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
              Incredibly stoked about this hire! Having him at any position in the program is a major coup. My guess is that he will organize and evaluate potential recruits for whoever will be doing the primary recruiting and lead the charge of development of the players.

I definitely think the assistant coach that is hired needs to have recruiting experience. They need to be able to go in and sell the program and evaluate talent. I don't necessarily think this means it won't be someone like Hoop. He has been involved in this in a capacity as a player, and has the fire for the program to be able to sell it.
              ​​​​​​Hoop has the chops and resume to be an excellent D1 hitting coach. He is also a relationship builder with a fire and love for a region/city/program that can't be taught. With Hibbs on board, the x and O's of recruiting can be learned quickly. Can you think of anyone better that you would rather have out selling the story of WSU baseball to high school coaches and parents? Bring in Wedge for the close and done deal.

Maybe Hoop's style of coaching doesn't jive with Wedge's, I have no idea. But damn, it looks good on paper.

Comment

There's no way Eric won't close. Just listen to him once.

Comment

I'm not sure if the logistics of all this would have worked out before right now, but the fact that the ShockerNet servers aren't smoking right now does demonstrate that there is a LOT of work in front of this staff to rekindle the magic. I think those of us paying attention are beyond thrilled. We just seem to be few in numbers.

I hope the Fall World Series is a thing this season, cause I'm not looking forward to waiting until February to get out and show some support.

Comment

Obviously, like Shane Dennis said on the radio this morning, the next guy has to be a recruiter. Shane didn't name names, but the inference I got was that puts a real damper on Hooper, BUT to be clear, that's my thought and my thought alone. But it does seem to make sense.
                    I actually think this hire enhances the possibility of a Kevin Hooper hire. Kevin's weakness is not that he isn't good salesman when it comes to baseball. In fact, just the opposite it true. Hoop did have to recruit players for the Wingnuts. What Hoop lacks is knowing the college recruiting ropes and having a recruiting network. HCEW has the same holes in his resume. However, with the hire of Loren Hibbs they have a highly experienced college coach who can educate them and point them in the right direction. And that is in addition to Gene and Brent on an informal basis.

What HCEW and Hoop do share in common is that they can inspire and motivate. And IMHO I think they will come up to speed relatively quickly in terms of learning the ropes and building their networks. Having Scooter around certainly enhances that process.

HCEW is 51 and Scooter is 58. Not sure how long the really want to do this. Hooper is 42. I can see a possibility where Wedge and Hibbs job is to stabilize and rebuild the program over the next 5 -7 years. Bring in Hoop to essentially be a HCIW to take over longer term once Wedge and Hibbs have completed the initial restoration project.

These are just my own ruminations with no basis in fact or inside knowledge.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 14, 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• wusphlash
                      wusphlash commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can Hibbs really be 58? Sheeeeeeesh!

Scooter does in fact fill the DOBO position. Still have the Assistant Coach/Hitting Coach and the Volunteer Assistant position to go.

Getting Eric was a tape measure home run by any standards. Those kayaks would need an outboard to chase that one down in the bay.

Keeping Pelfrey, for my money, was at least a stand up triple. You've got a pretty young man, with all kinds of experience and success at the highest level, who loves WSU baseball and is all in on his job. He has little if anything bogging him down and doesn't need to worry about his future, PLUS he bridges the gap with the players still here.

I don't even know what to call the Hibbs hire. He brings D1 knowledge and experience and can do all the DOBO stuff because he DID the DOBO stuff at UNCC for years. Best as I can tell, they only hired a DOBO a few years ago, so you know Scooter was doing all the work. I am not sure if that position can "recruit" but I KNOW he can evaluate and organize recruiting. He's been a winner everywhere he's been, and clearly he is all in on WSU. Seriously, name a living person better fit for that job. Seriously. Theo Epstein? He doesn't "wear" WSU like Scooter but he's pretty good at managing players. I suppose most young D1 head coaches would be as good in a lot of areas, but still wouldn't be sold on WSU like Loren will be. It's an amazing hire.

It won't surprise me if they wait to name the remaining 2 positions. They can ride the wave of excitement for a few days at least. Obviously, like Shane Dennis said on the radio this morning, the next guy has to be a recruiter. Shane didn't name names, but the inference I got was that puts a real damper on Hooper, BUT to be clear, that's my thought and my thought alone. But it does seem to make sense.

I think there's some REALLY strong candidates out there, many that don't have ties to WSU. Downtown Shocker Brown knows most of them and may share his thoughts soon.

Nevertheless, you can take any 2 props from Jeff Dunham at this point and you've probably got a top 20 coaching staff in the country, at least. Looking forward to what happens next.

He can not "recruit" off campus, but his ties in recruiting can be shared and as we all know, HCEW will close the deal.

Comment

Is it possible the new asst. coach is known but not hired, no ncaa rules to abide by yet in recruiting?

Comment

I'm incredibly lacking in knowledge and admittedly uninformed, but I think recruiting will not be a problem, regardless of the next hire.

Kemnitz and Hibbs can spend a couple hours a day on the phone for a week and Wedge will have hundreds of HS coaches chomping at the bit to have a former ML manager get a look at players in their area. Plus, Wedge probably has contacts with some pro scouts who might let him know which guys are borderline college/pro out of HS and which guys that might go pro out of HS might be interested in looking at college. Plus, clue him in on which guys he has no chance to get because they're definitely going pro.

It seems strange that a college coach could get recruiting tips from pro scouts, but Wedge could be the exception.

Next year will be a building year. I'm not going to use the term rebuild - there ain't no "re" to the build that has to be done.. 2 years - regional. 3 years - CWS.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                          WSUwatcher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually, Aargh, I believe Gene and Brent -- Gene in particular -- used to get recruiting tips from pro scouts, and it worked out pretty well for them and WSU for a good long time.

The majority of recruiting, certainly at the high school level, is done for not only 2019, but 2020 as well. The vast majority of focus for D1 coaches right now is on the class of 2021 and 2022. That's not to say there aren't good players available, but with everything available to both players and coaches, you just aren't going to find very many talented recruits one year out that haven't committed already.

I believe these guys will recruit successfully but it's going to take time to get some talent in here. The immediate payoff will be the change in approach and expectations. Those changes have already started and we'll see it the first time they take the field.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There may be some immediate "re-recruiting" of some desired players.
                      Working...
                      X