No announcement yet.

Eric Wedge - New Baseball Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope Mike Pelfrey is at least considered. I'd love to see him back next season.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really sure how to evaluate Mike as a pitching coach at this point. I really did like what I saw of his demeanor with his guys on his mound visits this year. The Shocks finally got the Clayton McGinness the last month of his Shocker career. How much Mike had to do with that is hard to say but he was the guy in charge of the pitching staff when the happened. OTOH the Shockers team ERA of 5.39 needs improvement. Perhaps that has more to do with recruiting than it does coaching.

Todd Butler said he really focused on pitching in his recruiting but I'm thinking he focused more on recruiting arms hoping they could be made into ptiching although that may be what you have to do.

• XManCometh
      XManCometh commented
      Editing a comment
      A rumor I heard was that Todd Butler only wanted arms that could throw gas and didn't care about breaking pitches as much. He figured he could teach them that. It's one of the reasons Brent left because he wanted to get guys who knew how to pitch and not necessarily hard throwers.

Just a rumor, but it holds water.

Fantastic news and can't wait to hear the assistants!

Comment

Great news! It's a good day to be a Shocker.

Comment

Comment

I remember at one of the Shocker Baseball reunion-type events, Eric made a quote to the effect of, "We wanted to win in 1989 because we were so sick of hearing Gene talk about the 1982 team."
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            I remember at one of the Shocker Baseball reunion-type events, Eric made a quote to the effect of, "We wanted to win in 1989 because we were so sick of hearing Gene talk about the 1982 team."
            That's awesome. Hopefully the 2022 team will be fed up with Wedge talking about 1989.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• shockerfanmas
              shockerfanmas commented
              Editing a comment
              Why wait til 2022? How about 2020?

• Rocky Mountain Shock
              Rocky Mountain Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              Patience. It will take him a year or two to implement his system and recruit his guys.

Other coaching names I was thinking about. Any thoughts of Phil Stephenson being hitting coach?

Comment

As an added benefit, this should help complete the transition of Gene back into the fold. Gene (for all his problems) was and is a great ambassador for WSU baseball.

Comment

Awesome News !

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Hope Mike Pelfrey is at least considered. I'd love to see him back next season.
                  I’d think he’d be considered. I would think with Wedge’s MLB Managerial experiences and experience as a Catcher, hiring a Pitching Coach would be a strong suit.

Comment

Wedge has HUNDREDS of baseball contacts. He'll pick who he wants.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing what he does with Cadena next year. I believe he's the only viable catcher on the roster currently, and I suspect he'll have huge expectations for the junior to be who did a fantastic job behind the dish, especially the last month or so.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It will be interesting to see if they let Cadena call the pitches. Maybe that is just not done anymore but it worked well in the past and I liked it. Might even speed the games up a bit.

Alum or no, says a lot about who we still are to land a two time MLB manager.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Personally, I think it says more about who we were.

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly. It was our tradition that brought us this hire, and for that, we owe Gene Stephenson a debt of gratitude. #10 is still winnin' for us.

I made this comment in another thread and was promptly called an idiot. Oh well.

T

...:cool:

Also looking forward to seeing some season ticket sales spike, especially from some on this fine board. I have 10 myself but think I'll get 2 more the first season to show support. "Cold, Fev, you guys got yours yet? Or still in wait and see mode?

Asking for myself.

Comment

• shockfan89_
                        shockfan89_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was as critical as both Cold and Fev at times. Already made my call to the ticket office today.

• WuDrWu
                        WuDrWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I want to be clear.....I had no problem nor did I really disagree with those that called for a change. I totally understand why, and again, I really don't disagree with them (you). I applaud every person that supports Shocker Athletics, and I'm thrilled to learn you are once again a season ticket holder!

Also, why you may have been very critical, you were rarely if ever personal. Big difference.

Just secured my old seasons tickets. Four field box level. Price was much lower than I had paid in the past. Did ticket prices go down for this season or is this something new?

Comment

• XManCometh
                        XManCometh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Probably trying to get people to show back up after the disastrous last 5 years.
                    Working...
                    X