No announcement yet.

Shocks Host Rhode Island in 4 Game Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URI is decent, but not 13 runs decent...

Comment

The Shocks are extremely fortunate to be 1-1 in this series.

The pace of play is horrible. Of course a lot of that is all the walks and high pitch counts, calling pitches from the dugout and all the pitching changes. Maybe some fun folks enjoy that but not me.

370 pitches in today's game. 346 yesterday.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 16, 2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

There was at least two hits recorded against the Shocks that should have been errors in my opinion. The seeming lack of pitching depth is really taking its toll.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Who was the guy who was defending Shocker pitching a few weeks back? I'm curious to hear his take on it now?

Comment

Tuning back in to Shocker baseball post-Shocker basketball game and they have just finished the 7th inning with the Shocks trailing 6-1. Perhaps I underestimated Rhode Island coming into this series or perhaps overvalued the Shocks.

I guess a come back is not impossible but the Shocks are running short on outs with only 2 at bats remaining. Need to get this URI starter out of the game. Not sure what his pitch count is after 7 full innings. He has only allowed 3 hits including a 4th inning solo homer by Luke Ritter for the Shocks only run. Rhode Island only has 6 hits but they have made them count. I suspect some of the 9 free passes (8 walks and 1 hit batter) may have contributed to that.

URI does bring in a lefty reliever to start the 8th in place of the righty starter. A single and walk with 1-out give the Shocks a couple of runners in front of their best power hitter, Paxton Wallace. Rhode Island brings in a right to face Wallace. A bit of bad luck for the Shock. Wallace rips a line drive towards right on a 3-1 pitch but right at the 1st baseman who caught Hunter Gibson off 2nd for the inning ending double play.

Mason O'Brien leads of the 9th with double to right center but the Shockers leave him stranded at 2nd as Rhode Island completes the double header sweep.

Best the Shockers can do at this point is a split of the 4 game series which I guess makes this weekend a disappointment by the standards I expressed my thread opening post. Not to mention the the Shocks not so much won the opening game as Rhode Island gifted it to them.

I guess you have to tip you hat to the Rhode Island starting pitcher, Nick Robinson, who held the Shockers to 1 run on 3 hits over 7 innings. What you won't like hearing is that coming into this game Robinson was 0-3 with a 10.12 ERA in 13.1 innings pitched.

Also Rhode Island came into the series with a team batting average of .234 and a meager slugging percentage of .284 while average 3.8 runs per game. They have scored 26 runs (8.67 per game) so far against the Shockers. I will say the Shocker pitching staff is a bunch of generous guys. They have given out 33 free passes (30 walks and 3 HBP's) in the 1st 3 games of this series. Such charity is rarely seen.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 16, 2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I’m more interested in Shocker Bowling, than Shocker Baseball right now. This isn’t much fun to watch or follow.

Comment

They need to cut the cord now on Butler to show they still care about the baseball program.This is beyond embarrassing.

Comment

On the plus side the auxiliary ticket office they have kind of resembles a large port a potty.Metaphore for Shocker baseball for the last decade or so.

Comment

Talk about a 180 from what the basketball program is to what a joke of the baseball program is.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                      They need to cut the cord now on Butler to show they still care about the baseball program.This is beyond embarrassing.
                      Boatright basically stated last year that he doesn't give one **** about WSU baseball. And to add to that they are policy changing at every turn to keep more of the 100 fans or so who show up to games away. Ticket prices for a product like this are laughable.

Boatright doesn't give a ****, then nobody else should give a **** too. Just run the whole ****ing thing into the ground and bury it.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Rhode Island....I mean it’s Rhode freaking Island. Lansing, Mears, Bone, Brummett and the guys have to be rolling their eyes and pissed all at the same time.

Comment

This baseball board is getting stale and predictable.

I get it. No one likes where the baseball program is right now and everyone thinks they have the answer. Keep in mind recruits look at this board and won’t come here if it’s a no win situation.

Let’s try and focus on the positives even though it may be tough sometimes though?

Comment

Originally posted by txkidsports View Post
                            This baseball board is getting stale and predictable.

I get it. No one likes where the baseball program is right now and everyone thinks they have the answer. Keep in mind recruits look at this board and won’t come here if it’s a no win situation.

Let’s try and focus on the positives even though it may be tough sometimes though?
                            Seriously...

If a recruit puts .02 cents into:
                            A. Reading a schools message board for guidance on where to sign.
                            B. Puts any weight into a schools message board regarding their situation...
                            We don't want them...Period.

Comment

My guess is that if current recruits are focused on anything it is who will by my coach if I attend Wichita State. Obviously, that is not a good position to be in and I anticipate that situation will be resolved at the end of this season. Of course, there are a couple of ways that situation can be resolved. Replace the current head coach or retain the current head coach. If the current head coach is retained you haven't seen anything yet that resembles what would be coming in term of fan vitriol even though we have had plenty of that. That said I simply can't fathom that a coaching change is not in the cards at the end of the season. Wichita State simply can not afford the continued level of fan apathy which seems to be getting worse with time.

Comment

The Shocks certainly don't won't to come out of the week end 1-3 against Rhode Island. Even there one win so far was mostly the reuslt of Rhode Island charity. The Shocks daubers had to be sagging a bit after yesterday. A well played, decisive win today would certainly help that.

Looks like freshman LHP Cal Carver will get the start today. Cal has shown signs that he can be effective. He only lasted 2 innings in his only other start against Oklahoma State where he gave up a double, walk and home run in the 1st inning for 3 runs. Gave up a lead off walk in the 2nd, plus hit a batter and was called for a balk but got through that inning with the aid of a double play. After he it a batter to lead off the 3rd he was pulled and that inherited runner did score. I suspect some freshman nerves where a factor in this game. 1st career start, on the road, at Okie State.

Cal's best outing was 4.2 innings of scoreless, 3 hit relief against UTA where he struck out 2 and walked 1 and picked up the win. One of the better relief outings for the Shockers this year.

Cal has an ERA of 5.52 in 6 appearances covering 14.2 innings of work. He has an opponents batting average of .255, a WHIP of 1.50 with 10 strikeouts and 8 walks. The Shocker staff as a whole has 6.88 ERA, a .294 opponents batting average and a 1.61 WHIP.

Not sure whether the Shock will be going with a predetermined split in this 4th game in 3 day but we'll see. Cal has not pitched yet this weekend so I would go with him as long as he is effective or until he reaches his pitch count limit.

Rhode Island is going with freshman RHP Justin Cherry who has a 6.1 ERA in 5 appearances covering only 7.1 innings. This is also his 2nd start.

Jordan Boyer was pulled in yesterday's 2nd game after only 1 at bat with some kind of injury. Jordan is not in the starting lneup today. Luke Ritter will move over to SS and Brady Slavens will get the start at 1B and Jake Plastiak will get the nod at DH. Ross Cadena is starting in left field and Noah Croft will be behind the plate. David VanVooren is starting in center.

Hunter Gibson, Luke Ritter, Paxton Wallace and Mason O'Brien all slide up 1 spot at the top the order

Comment

Working...
                                X