Creighton Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creighton Series

Shockers and Jays scheduled to renew their old rivalry on Friday-Sunday at Eck. However, the weather isn't going to cooperate on Saturday or Sunday. Wonder what the chances are of 1) playing a single game on Thursday and a doubleheader on Friday, or 2) moving the series farther south?

Creighton is off to a 5-1 start, despite not having practiced outdoors in weeks. The Jays have scored a ton of runs and given up a ton of runs. Beyond Friday starter Mitch Ragan and closer Bobby Kametas, the entire pitching staff is suspect. The defense will require a lot more outdoor practice to reach its usual standard. But the bats and situational execution have been on point, especially in pressure situations. The best pro prospects on the team are OF Will Robertson, 2B Isaac Collins, and SS Jack Strunc.

Originally posted by JayPak View Post
    Shockers and Jays scheduled to renew their old rivalry on Friday-Sunday at Eck. However, the weather isn't going to cooperate on Saturday or Sunday. Wonder what the chances are of 1) playing a single game on Thursday and a doubleheader on Friday, or 2) moving the series farther south?
    Option 1 seems to be something that very well might happen. Makes good sense. Hopefully, if they do that they schedule the games during the warmest part of the day. Perhaps even dropping a game and just playing 2. I don't think option 2 is very likely to happen.

I doubt if any schedule change would have much if any impact in the attendance for this series. So I don't see that as a factor. Leaving it as is could pretty much eliminate most fans who might otherwise consider attending.

Comment

I think Ku moved their weekend set to somewhere in Tx last weekend. That seemed to work out well if the games can't be moved back a day.

I can't remember a Cu team that scored like they have these first few games. Giving up 26 runs and still SWEEPING a 3 game set? Or giving up 24 and still taking 2 of 3 this last weekend.

Fielding isn't bad certainly for this early in the year (.968) and it's stellar compared to our keystone cops .943.

That 6.71 ERA is a bit high. But slugging .550 as a team, 13 dingers....until we stop kicking it around the field and cut the free passes down, I suspect we won't be terribly successful.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I think Ku moved their weekend set to somewhere in Tx last weekend. That seemed to work out well if the games can't be moved back a day.
        I don't recall the Shockers ever doing that but that actually might be the preferred option if it can be done at a reasonable cost. Even if the move the games up a day Thursday (high of 41) and Friday (high of 43 but a bit more wind) isn't exactly ideal baseball weather. Although it is substantially better than what Saturday (26 with 18 mph winds out of the NNE) and Sunday (22 with NE winds at 14 mph). That is not even good football weather.

Looks like KU moved their series with Texas Southern to Texas this past weekend and they are doing the same thing with this weekend's series vs Northern Illinois.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 25, 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          I doubt our budget would allow for that. Travel budget for 50+ every trip already is a ton for baseball. My guess is they try to move it up a day as you suggested, IF Cu can get here (which I doubt seriously because of logistics) a day early and maybe squeeze in a DH somewhere. This probably will end up being a season where we play a DH against Omaha, ORU or RI early (assuming one of those teams lost a game along the way) or just get a make up against a regional D2.

WSU will probably not be eager to go to the trouble of moving a series that they're probably gonna get swept in anyways. Minimize the losses as much as possible. Let the weather win.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Schedule Altered for Home-Opening Series

Due to forecasted cold temperatures and winter weather Saturday, March 2, and Sunday, March 3, Wichita State's 2019 home-opening series against the Creighton Bluejays has been altered.

The two teams will now play a doubleheader at Eck Stadium, Home of Tyler Field, beginning at 1 p.m. Friday, March 1. A decision on whether or not Saturday's contest will be played will be made Friday afternoon. Sunday's game has been canceled.

Both games of Friday's twin bill will feature $3 admission.

The Shockers' home-opening series vs. Creighton has been changed due to forecasted cold temperatures and winter weather over the weekend.

Comment

This season is lost but my Super Bowl is NOT losing to these turds in Omaha and those pieces of crap in Lawrence. If we lose the series to both these squads, it'll be rubbing salt and alcohol in a fire wound.

Comment

The rivalry continues. Hard to believe the all-time highlight of that rivalry is 28 years ago:

What a throw from Audley. Holy Cow!

Great P-B-P call.

jeff13151 - 3 years ago
              25 years later, as a Creighton fan, this play still eats me alive. It was like time stood still as that throw came in.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

This Creighton team can really hit the ball. So of course there's no score going to the bottom of the 2nd. McGinness worked around a leadoff double in the 1st getting 2 strikeouts and a groundout, then a real mess in the 2nd with a double, sac bunt, walk, stolen base but got 2 more Ks to get out of it. Can't keep playing with fire with these guys. And need to score.

No score bottom 2.

Comment

Paxton Wallace leads off the 2nd with a single and steals 2nd and 3rd (the latter with 2 down) but is left stranded. No score top 3.

Comment

Clayton works around a 1 out single and has a quick 3rd. No score, bottom 3rd.

Comment

Shocks get a little something started after singles by Alex Jackson and Jacob Katzfey (after Plastiak struck out) and have Boyer and Ritter due up to try and break out of the scoreless game.

Yuck, Boyer GBDP and it's on to the 4th, still no score. That hurt.

Comment

1 out triple and Creighton has a runner on 3rd (close play) threatening to open the scoring. This BJ team can swing the bats. Allbery's double makes it 1-0. That's 4 extra base hits so far.

Clayton struggling now, couple of singles and a stolen base and it's now 3-0. Gotta think he's at the end of his rope if he doesn't get out of this inning right now.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; March 1, 2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Clayton got out of the 4th with no more damage. Ritter leads off the bottom of the frame with a single and eventually scores on a 2 out Gibby single. Cadena SO due...….Gibby steals 2nd but is stranded there after Ross grounds out. 3-1 after 4.

Comment

BTW, Saturday's game has been cancelled. So the 2 games today are it for this weekend. No need to hold any pitchers back.

Forecasted cold temperatures have forced Wichita State and Creighton to cancel their game on Saturday, March 2.

Comment

Working...
                            X