No announcement yet.

Shockers - Fall Ball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoShockers.com game report to supplement Doc's eyewitness reports above: Black Defeats Yellow in Fall World Series Opener

Yellow Squad 0-6-3
    Black Squad 2-5-2 (1 earned run)

I suppose the positive to take away from this game is the 4 Shocker pitchers combined to give up only 2 runs (1 earned) on 11 hits with 27 strikeouts and 4 walks over 17 innings.

I suppose the negative to take away from this game is the two squads combined only scored 2 runs (1 earned) on 11 hits while striking out 27 times in 17 innings.

As usual this is the difficulty of intersquad games.

The result would seem to further support what we have seen this fall and what some fans have opined that this Shocker team will struggle to score and that the pitching will have to lead the way this year. The difficulty in an intrasquad game is to what degree was the pitching dominance due to strong pitching vs weak hitting.

From Sully's 5 Things to Watch in Shocker Fall Series:

The offense will come from speed, turning singles into doubles and using all parts of the park. Returners such as Jacob Katzfey, Alex Jackson and Paxton Wallace and freshmen such as infielder Jack Sigrist and outfielder Carson Cox and David VanVooren can use their legs to make things happen.

"We'll be much more aggressive on the basepaths," coach Todd Butler said. "That comes down to personnel. That comes down to a player being able to steal bases and having the speed to do so."

And that mobility also helps on defense.
    The 5 errors between the two teams is a bit high. If we are going to depend on pitching and struggle scoring a strong defense would be very helpful. In addition, the Shocks were only 1 for 3 in stolen base attempts.

It seems to me that the hope is that we will have storng pitching supported by a reasonably decent defense with the big question being can we score enough to make that work.

Comment

Well considering we have results vs other schools this fall in which we got raked to the coals, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the offense sucks. And it’s not because of good pitching.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

More offense in Game 2 of the fall intrasquad series as the two teams combined for 10 runs on 17 hits in a 7 inning game. Of the 17 hits 6 were doubles and 1 was a triple. The teams reduced the strike out rate to 1 per team per inning compared to 1.6 per team per inning in Game 1. The Black squad commited no errors tonight. The Yellow squad had 2.

Only 2 of the 8 pitchers have seen game action for Shocks in the past. Preston Minor and Jacob Lindemann.

Freshman lefty Adam Stephenson had rough start for the Yellow team giving up 5 earned runs on 6 hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. Jacob Lindemann, Connery Peters and Mitchell Walthers only allowed 1 unearned run over the remaining 5.1 innings. The Yellow pitchers only walked 2 while striking out 8. The Black pitchers walked 6 and struck out 6.

Offensively the Black team was lead by Paxton Wallace who went 2-4 with 3 RBI and Noah Croft who was 3-3 and 2 RBI. For the Yellow team Alex Jackson went 2-4 and scored 2 runs and Jacob Katzfey went 2-3 plus a walk while scoring 1 and driving in 1.

Comment

There isn't much to take away from these 2 games....there are a bunch of players nursing injuries and nobody was going to take any risks. That made for some odd lineups to say the least. Alex Segal played some in right and I don't know WHO was keeping score, but there were a lot more than 2 errors and Segal dropped a fly for black that was clearly not a hit lol

There's no question this team will not be strong offensively. We're going to have to be tough on the mound and play D and run, run, run. I think we can run. I think our pitching is going to continue to get better, BUT we don't have the ace that almost every team has in our conference. I am concerned about catching. Cadena can hit, but neither he nor Croft appear to be ready to be the backstop you need there.

Katzfey looks really good. I think he'll have an excellent season.

A lineup might look like this:

Katzfey C
          Ritter 2B
          Gibson 1B
          Wallace DH
          Kocis 3B
          Cadena RF
          Croft C
          Jackson LF
          Boyer SS

Plastiak will play a lot, just not sure where. Carson Cox looks like a competitor to me. I think David VanVooren will get a chance somewhere, although I think he needs a year. Certainly if any of the lineup I put out there doesn't live up these will get plenty of chances. Jack Sigrist also looks ready. Of the FR, those are the guys I'm looking at providing help from what I saw, out in the field.

Pitching....clearly health will be an issue (always is on the mound). Clayton will be solid, experienced, runs his fastball up there at 91-92 and keeps it down. Love the kid and he just does his work.

The thing that surprised me was Preston Snavely. Something changed recently and he's discovered some pop in his velocity. He's had good breaking stuff but no #1 to set it up. If he can keep that top end heat he'll be a good solid weekend guy. Liam Eddy should be stronger this season and he's shown usefulness as a FR.

Segal is a wildcard. Electric off speed stuff but he looked weaker to me. 85 won't cut it, no matter how good that deuce is. Need Barnhouse and Wallace to provide some closing rolls. I liked what I saw from Lindemann last spring but he needs to get better. Pretty sure we'll see Cal Carver in the rotation. He's good.

McGinness, Snavely, Eddy, Carver, Segal and Lindemann as your starters.....middle relief I have no idea. Barnhouse, Wallace and I really liked the Marley kid if they can get him to not hit the backstop every 3rd pitch, could close....might be able to do something with the BMW last names.

It will be interesting. For sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

There's no question this team will not be strong offensively. We're going to have to be tough on the mound and play D and run, run, run. I think we can run.

A lineup might look like this:

Katzfey C
            Ritter 2B
            Gibson 1B
            Wallace DH
            Kocis 3B
            Cadena RF
            Croft C
            Jackson LF
            Boyer SS
            Where is the speed in that lineup to run outside of Katzfey and Jackson? Plus you can only run if you get on base. So while I agree the Shockers will have to figure out how to manufacture runs I think it remains to be seen whether or not this team will actually be able to effectively implement that.

I am hopeful that Jacob Katzfey will have a break out year. But the Shocks will need more than that and another solid year from Luke Ritter to be able to score.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 25, 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              I really liked the Marley kid if they can get him to not hit the backstop every 3rd pitch, could close.
              Breathing through his eyelids and wearing women's lingerie could probably solve that. Worth a try.

Comment

There's a high chance that Butler breaks his own record for worst year ever in modern Shocker baseball history next year. How fitting to an end.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

RH: Podcast with pitchers McGinness and Barnhouse

https://wichitastate.tv/podcast/roun...ess-barnhouse/

Comment

Working...
                  X