No announcement yet.

At-large chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our RPI fell 8 spots to 39 with last night's loss. Memphis has a current RPI of 191. If I recall correctly, when you start to get to mid-40s in RPI your at-large chances become pretty slim. Can anyone confirm/refute that? I know we will have at least two games in the AAC tournament that should give us an RPI boost, but is it possible even if we sweep the Memphis series our RPI could drop 5 or 6 points and put us in that danger area?

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
      Our RPI fell 8 spots to 39 with last night's loss. Memphis has a current RPI of 191. If I recall correctly, when you start to get to mid-40s in RPI your at-large chances become pretty slim. Can anyone confirm/refute that? I know we will have at least two games in the AAC tournament that should give us an RPI boost, but is it possible even if we sweep the Memphis series our RPI could drop 5 or 6 points and put us in that danger area?
      Depending on performance by others and also on which predictor is being used, our RPI should settle between 40-45 with a sweep. We probably need a 3-0 weekend followed by 3 wins in the conference tournament to have much of a chance.

Odds are becoming increasingly remote for sure.

Comment

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I was thinking a sweep this weekend and 1 or 2 AAC tournament wins would have us feeling pretty good. I agree with you that the chances of us winning 6 out of our next 8 are fairly slim. I think this team has proven they can do it, but we are 6-9-1 over our last 16 games with only 3 of those wins against AAC opponents. The sweep this weekend is very doable, and honestly should be a given, 3 wins in the tournament as a 7 or 8 seed seem a little more of a stretch.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        A sweep this weekend at Memphis is doable, but far from a given. 4 other teams in the AAC did not sweep them (3 who will definitely finish ahead of us in the standings, 2 won our series, 1 "tied") along with Baylor who played them a weekend series.

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have used the word "expected" instead of "a given". I agree with everything you said, but when you are trying to make a case you belong in the post season, and you can't sweep a 19-34 team, RPI of 191, 4-17 conference record, doesn't even qualify for your conference tournament, and has absolutely nothing to play for, on the final weekend of the season, you might as well consider it case closed. IMHO it is a MUST that we sweep this weekend.

shutterstock_551695048-1.jpg
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability...

Comment

Weird series this weekend.

Memphis has literally nothing to play for, as they are assured a 9th place conference finish and no postseason, including the AAC Tournament.

Meanwhile, WSU could maybe talk themselves into believing pulling off a sweep leaves an at-large bid in play; but that is rather unlikely, and the ceiling in the standings is 7th. Of note, the 7th place team plays the 2 seed on Wednesday, while the 8th place team plays the 1 seed on Tuesday. Given that WSU likely needs to win the conference tournament to reach a regional, it may actually be better to be the 8 seed and gain a day of rest for your pitching. The Tuesday winners get Wednesday completely off. This is obviously an extra day of rest for your #1 starter, but also allows you to throw your entire bullpen in an effort to win that first game, as they would also get a rest day.
          Last edited by Cdizzle; May 17, 2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Number 8 seed is probably best. At least all their games were competitive against Houston. They looked overmatched by ECU after the first game. Bonus is if they are going to be 2 and Q - it will be over quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post

Depending on performance by others and also on which predictor is being used, our RPI should settle between 40-45 with a sweep. We probably need a 3-0 weekend followed by 3 wins in the conference tournament to have much of a chance.

Odds are becoming increasingly remote for sure.
              I'd say remote is exceptionally generous at this point, and frankly that's probably as it should be -- and I'm called a sunshine pumper.

Comment

• Play Angry
                Play Angry commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair to say our at large chances are no longer even remote now, they are gone.

RPI is currently 50 after the 1st Memphis game.

Comment

Let me answer my own question. The answer is ZERO. And I put the changes of WSU winning the AAC tournament about 13.5%

Comment

Any UNI fans, I mean at-large guys, wanna plug any more equations into this thing?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

To go from the real possibility of hosting a regional to not even in the tournament...

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to laugh or cry, or do both simultaneously.

Is the baseball program now the turd in the punch bowl within the WSU sports pecking order? Who could have ever guessed baseball could be argued to be WSU’s worst sports program? Like the twilight zone or something.

There’s one rational excuse left for retaining Butler. One. Budgetary concerns. The rest have become about as palatable as hearing the sales pitch to an MLM or pyramid scheme. Sit back, fold your arms, and laugh at the poor soul on the other side that’s bought all in with cult-like adoration.

Like Baghdad Bob talking about the absolute impenetrability of his city while a US field general watches through binoculars and laughs hysterically, reality has invaded the Butler era and made itself a really comfy spot to settle in and watch the city burn.
                    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 18, 2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      There’s one rational excuse left for retaining Butler. One. Budgetary concerns.
                      Matter-of-fact Boatright said last year that Butler's contract was NOT at all a factor in retaining him. If he's not lying out of his teeth, then there is absolutely zero excuse for keeping him beyond next week.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

So...this HAS to be the year they find a new baseball coach, right? Standiford? Hooper? Wedge?

Comment

I believe that Butler will be the head coach next year regardless of what happens this weekend. If we perform well this weekend and get an at-large bid to a Regional that will be the justification for another year. I just hope that we don't do a contract extension unless it has a VERY low buyout provision.

My opinion is we need to perform better this weekend than UCF does. If we significantly outperform them in the tournament I think we have a decent chance of making a Regional. If UCF stays around longer than us, I think our chances are very slim.
                          Last edited by shockfan89_; May 21, 2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

If Butler is retained and not given an appropriate extension he will be severely hampered in recruiting. That leaves only his coaching prowess to carry him...

T

...:cool:
                            Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; May 21, 2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X