Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon State or North Carolina?

OSU or UNC?

Tired of seeing droopy dogs mug in the stands every two seconds.

Comment

When we were in Greensbourough some of us took a trip to see the UNC and Duke campuses. Ended up on the UNC campus right at the end of a baseball game against Maryland that I think they got beat pretty bad. $5 is the max they charge for a ticket and there weren't more then a few hundred fans there. Shows just how much more fun baseball is at Wichita State then even at the school of a possible national champion.

Comment

I give North Carolina the nod because of their pitching. Andrew Miller and Dallas buck will win the series for UNC. I would RATHER Oregon State won, but the poll doesn't ask who we WANT to win, but who WILL win.

As for the fan support, winning a national championship could improve that situation. WSU first cross my radar in 1988 when they made a run, then really captured me in 89'. I love them now whether they win or lose, but that love affair started because of what happened in '88 and '89.

Comment

They did have 2900 a game for there regional, which by the size of there stadium that had to be really close to a sell out.

Comment

I voted for UNC.....but I hope I'm wrong.

I'd be willing to bet that if any KU fans have tuned in to watch any of the CWS this year, they would be pulling strongly for Oregon State.

For [at least] two reasons:
            1 - They're also tired of seeing Roy-boy mugging for the cameras
            2 - Might as well pull for the team that won your regional.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
              I give North Carolina the nod because of their pitching. Andrew Miller and Dallas buck will win the series for UNC. I would RATHER Oregon State won, but the poll doesn't ask who we WANT to win, but who WILL win.

As for the fan support, winning a national championship could improve that situation. WSU first cross my radar in 1988 when they made a run, then really captured me in 89'. I love them now whether they win or lose, but that love affair started because of what happened in '88 and '89.
              David, I think you meant Miller, Woodward and Bard ( all of UNC) versus Dallas Buck and gang for Oregon State. I watched the game when Miller closed it out versus CSF. Impressive.

Also Buck's mound presence is pathetic, Brent would not have that on his staff. BK likes the bulldogs not the poodle in his pitchers.

Comment

Miller and Bard are electric. Give those two a little coaching and time to learn how to pitch and both could make $$ for a very long time.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, I did mean Bard. That's what I get for not double-checking myself. Glad someone here is on their toes.

I agree about Dallas Buck's mound presence, or lack of it. I haven't seen him this year, but saw him in last years CWS and was definitely not impressed. He seems to lose his composure easily.

Miller was touching 97 in his relief appearanc...from the left side. Yikes.

Comment

Congratulations to the Beavers!! Did anybody see that look on Royboy's face after the game. It was CLASSIC! :woot:
                    Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

I was disturbed by Oregon State's use (overuse) of their pitchers, and even more disturbed that the ESPN announcers not only didn't find fault with it, but found it commendable and admirable.

North Carolina could have stuck with Bard a lot longer, but removed him, apparently, due to pitch count, which was only 106 iirc. The way the two coaches handled their pitchers couldn't have been much different.

Today's starting pitcher for Oregon State threw over 300 pitches in 8 days, once coming back on 2 days rest once, and once on 3. They brought in a guy to finish the game who threw 5.2 innings just yesterday.

I thought Bard and UNC got screwed on two pitch calls in the 8th, that resulted in the walk that eventually scored the winning run. I wish they had the "K Zone" so I could see where those pitches actually were. There were two pitches that were RIGHT THERE, and Bard didn't get the calls. Without that walk, that game would have gone to extra innings, and UNC was in MUCH better shape pitching-wise to go extra innings.

I also hated to see the winning run score on an error, and on such an EASY play at that. UNC couldn't have asked for a more routine ground ball to second. Ouch. UNC got bit, in my opinion, in putting a less experienced first baseman out there. The throw from second was wide, but not THAT wide. The first baseman should have been able to reach that throw, but he didn't get himself into proper position to receive the throw.

Comment

I would have liked to see an angle on that throw but it didn't look like it was off by much.

NC had bases loaded and one out in the 8th and the next two batters struck out. Reminds me of how many games the Shox lost because we couldn't get a runner in from third with less than two outs.

I would have liked to see NC win because of the pitcher abuse by OSU. Cal State Fullerton is another team that seemed to always bring their pitchers back early and often too.

Comment

I wonder if Boyd Nation will chime in on the issue.

Comment

Nice comments for Shox tradition on the Oregon St board:

Crimedog1335
                            user profile
                            Post #94

If ever there was another team to display that much heart......
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            My High School baseball coach showed us the Wichita State road to the championship before each season. It was the epitomy of a battle against odds and the power of the heart. Until now, I had never seen anything like it. We are truly in great company with the great Wichita State saga

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
                              I was disturbed by Oregon State's use (overuse) of their pitchers, and even more disturbed that the ESPN announcers not only didn't find fault with it, but found it commendable and admirable.

North Carolina could have stuck with Bard a lot longer, but removed him, apparently, due to pitch count, which was only 106 iirc. The way the two coaches handled their pitchers couldn't have been much different.

Today's starting pitcher for Oregon State threw over 300 pitches in 8 days, once coming back on 2 days rest once, and once on 3. They brought in a guy to finish the game who threw 5.2 innings just yesterday.
                              David, along those same lines here is a link to an article on milb.com

The author agrees with your concerns and took it to another level. PAC-10 coaches should have this in their hand when visiting a recruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X