Kunkel on KU in the World Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Is the 1 that they won the game against SIU? Because SIU was so darn close to winning that game you have to call it a tie.
    There so much pure, un-massaged data to use, there isn't any point in watering it down with "so-closes" and "shoulda, coulda, wouldas."

The games against Bradley and UNI were also close, so you'd have to throw those out too (which I'm sure some folks do). Let's not be like that. The results speak for themselves without edit.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Or whatever tourney they're playing in.

"I want to see them get more physical and play some defense and that's what they're working on with these games this summer".

So, Kunkel wants to see KU play more like WSU plays and Self is using the summer workouts to play more like WSU plays. I think the "flag" in "flagship" has been passed.
      Originally posted by Jayhawks View Post
      Seems like a very bone head reply because self has always coached defense first teams and I respect the shockers they have played well the last few years but they get so cocky for a team that plays in a mid major conference that doesn't have much time being a great team left with all your good players graduating
      Maybe Self has been emphasizing defense all along, but after playing WSU, now he says he's using the summer workouts to emphasize defense.

On the year, WSU averaged around 70 points. Self's "has always emphasized" defense gave up more points to WSU than WSU could get off those lowly mid-majors in the MVC. What does that say about how well Self's teams play what he "emphasizes"?

Marshall handed Self his ass with a toupee on top of it. It seems that the lowly mid-major coach just gave Self a first-hand lesson on playing D, while showing Self that Self's method of playing his "emphasized" D was worse than the D played in the lowly mid-major MVC.

Then there's the statement about our not being able to be cocky because of our lowly status. I guess it's OK for KU fans to be cocky because they play in a "major" conference. It's not OK for MVC fans to get cocky because they play in a mid-major conference.

KU has won that "major" conference for 12 years in a row now, so KU is CLEARLY not only the best team in that conference - they dominate the conference. In those 12 years, KU has faced 4 teams from the lowly mid-major MVC. KU's record against those teams is 1-3. In 2006, Bradley was the 5th place team in the Valley when they took down the mighty Jayhawks who were the dominant champions in the "major" conference.

I guess all this KU fan has to hang his "cocky hat" on any more is conference affiliation. Scoreboard says MVC fans have every right to be cocky. MVC teams consistently take down the strongest team in the B12. The B12 may be a "power" conference, but when the best team in the "power" conference has a 25% W/L percentage against teams from the mid-major - including getting a game against a middle-of-the-pack team - tell me again, which fan base is it that has no right to be cocky?
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        There so much pure, un-massaged data to use, there isn't any point in watering it down with "so-closes" and "shoulda, coulda, wouldas."

The games against Bradley and UNI were also close, so you'd have to throw those out too (which I'm sure some folks do). Let's not be like that. The results speak for themselves without edit.
        I'm not throwing nothin' out. That game was fun game to watch. Cloooose.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

"Thanks Sierra.

Good afternoon Wichita. We're coming at you live from [inaudibe]ju where I just returned from stalkin -- ur -- traveling with the Dreamhawks to where they were taking on the Loservillians. You'll be pleased to know that I was able to observe hunky Bill Self masterfully caressing his wood, uuuhhh, wooden clipboard and playbook rock-chalk full of Biblical-like men's basketball X's and Uh-Oh's. I also managed to gain access to several of the well hung young men in the steamy, post-practice shower room, where they were standing erect. Mmmm, mmm, it makes me giddy seeing the length and girth of these super warriors! And I'm especially engorged to report that the KU men are BULGING athletes! In fact, each and every one has the complete package! Just watching them at practice to perfect penetrating the backdoor really has me wanting for taking it ALL in with these hawks this upcoming season! Yes, these players may be rated 5 stars, but my eagle eyes say they are at minimum 7s, 8s and at least one 10!

Back to you Sierra. Ta ta."

- Will Kunkel
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Great post, dizzle. I guess the KU troll must not have been Kelly Oubre, because he might remember that there's at least one good Shocker player not graduating this year. Then again, maybe not -- maybe he's slept through the countless replays and still doesn't know who schooled him on hustle.

(And speaking of graduating, what are the odds Oubre will EVER graduate? But he got his vocational training, and that's all that matters.)

Comment

Seems like a very bone head reply because self has always coached defense first teams and I respect the shockers they have played well the last few years but they get so cocky for a team that plays in a mid major conference that doesn't have much time being a great team left with all your good players graduating
              Welcome to Butthurtville.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I have no doubt that every D-1 basketball coach "coaches defense." I've always thought it was a little silly to SAY that your coach is defensive minded as if that really means anything. Every coach is. Even Greg McDermott.

The big difference is that some coaches are successful at getting people to play it at a very high level and others aren't.

Comment

I'll let you in on a little secret.....it ain't cocky when you back it up, son.

But obsession noted.

Comment

Working...
                  X