Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kunkel on KU in the World Games

Or whatever tourney they're playing in.

"I want to see them get more physical and play some defense and that's what they're working on with these games this summer".

So, Kunkel wants to see KU play more like WSU plays and Self is using the summer workouts to play more like WSU plays. I think the "flag" in "flagship" has been passed.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

I only saw bits and pieces of the game against Turkey (I think it was) on replay on a very small screen, and while Perry was Perry, and appeared years ahead of most of his teammates, I think I was most impressed with the Moore kid from SMU. That kid seems to have "it".
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
      I only saw bits and pieces of the game against Turkey (I think it was) on replay on a very small screen, and while Perry was Perry, and appeared years ahead of most of his teammates, I think I was most impressed with the Moore kid from SMU. That kid seems to have "it".
      Nic Moore....one of many talented players to transfer out of Illinois St. You could see the potential with him when he was in the valley.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

With Nic Moore, the Birds would have been a real contender in the MVC and they would have made the NCAA tournament. I think they could have been every bit as good as SMU has been. Holding onto him when Jank left would have changed everything.

...and that's why Jank knew he had to have him

Comment

Oh damn...I didn't even realize that was the same kid. Can only imagine the battles than could have happened between him and FVV/RB.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            With Nic Moore, the Birds would have been a real contender in the MVC and they would have made the NCAA tournament. I think they could have been every bit as good as SMU has been. Holding onto him when Jank left would have changed everything.

And yet, Jank left! To be an assistant? Possible head coach in waiting? That never works out. Still blows my mind.

Comment

17 years and counting.... and loling all along the way.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                And yet, Jank left! To be an assistant? Possible head coach in waiting? That never works out. Still blows my mind.
                Well, it should tell you all you need to know about Illinois State. Just think of it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                  Oh damn...I didn't even realize that was the same kid. Can only imagine the battles than could have happened between him and FVV/RB.
                  Without the transfer year, he would have been a senior this past season. He would have kept the program at a better place all along and he would have been dishing the ball to Reggie Lynch (and Reggie Lynch probably wouldn't have gotten poached). Illinois State was about 66 in the RPI this season. With Nic Moore, they would have been top 30 and dancing, no doubt. With as strong as WSU and UNI were to begin with, it would have made for a great battle for the MVC title. Instead, SMU has risen to prominence in the last 3 years. They were literally a sub-200 garbage C-USA team before Nic Moore (among other things). The way the MVC loses transfers is depressing...and this year is no different. This year with Marcus Marshall, Reggie Lynch and Jordan Caroline is one of the worst crops to lose.

Comment

Josh Cunningham, Deion Lavender, Ria'n Holland, Corey Henderson Jr.

Comment

I wouldn't say SMU has "risen to prominence". I think that's overstating it a bit. They made their first NCAA trip last year in 22 years. And they lost their game. One 0-1 trip in 22 years doesn't equate to prominence.

Now, are they improved and in the NCAA conversation in the last couple of years. Yes. Prominent? No.

Also, I think you're assuming a bit much automatically assuming Illinois State would have been Top 30 in that same stretch. 1 player can help a program but help them by 40-50 spots? Hmm. Also, the coaching is atrocious over there. That's also a factor to consider. Having Brown as your coach would help a bit I'd imagine too.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Josh Cunningham, Deion Lavender, Ria'n Holland, Corey Henderson Jr.
                        An overall incredible crop of young players. All 7 of them could easily be a very solid team after a year or two of experience. Same old thing...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          I wouldn't say SMU has "risen to prominence". I think that's overstating it a bit. They made their first NCAA trip last year in 22 years. And they lost their game. One 0-1 trip in 22 years doesn't equate to prominence.

Now, are they improved and in the NCAA conversation in the last couple of years. Yes. Prominent? No.

Also, I think you're assuming a bit much automatically assuming Illinois State would have been Top 30 in that same stretch. 1 player can help a program but help them by 40-50 spots? Hmm. Also, the coaching is atrocious over there. That's also a factor to consider. Having Brown as your coach would help a bit I'd imagine too.
                          Maybe prominent was the wrong word. What I meant was they have had two good years after a long history of bad ones and since he was on the team as a leader, he gets a lot of that credit. I think you know what I meant, and I do think Nic Moore had a lot to do with it. I also think a team that was able to beat us in St. Louis, who was 66 overall this year, could definitely have immediately been even better by adding a player as good as Nic. I really only meant that a lot could have been different if he was still here...although it is entirely possible that Muller would have taken that diamond and ruined it :)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Having Brown as your coach would help a bit I'd imagine too.
                            In the short term. Then the NCAA finds out all the things Brown was doing to be successful and cripples your program while he runs off somewhere new.

Comment

An overall incredible crop of young players. All 7 of them could easily be a very solid team after a year or two of experience. Same old thing...
                              As usual, we're wandering pretty far afield from the subject of the thread, so this is will be my only comment unless someone wants to start a thread on Valley transfers this year, in which case I'll be glad to continue.

For now, though: there's something different about two of the seven guys named vs. the other five. I think I'm pretty safe in believing I don't need to identify which two, hence my dropping out from this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X