Chris Jans Original Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Totally agree. I would definitely set a higher standard on a head coaching position than I would an assistant coaching position though.
    I don't know. Standards are standards and over-the-line is over-the-line and people have to be held accountable for their choices. Sometimes that can be very painful for both the perpetrator and the victims. These actions by Chris, whatever they were, have not only greatly damaged him personally but they have carried a significant amount of collateral damage to his family, his friends, BGSU and the BGSU fan base. Chris has a major challenge facing him.

That said their are numerous examples of individuals and coaches who have overcome their mistakes and eventually made a comeback within their professions. But it doesn't generally happen overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post
      I would hold a grown man and coach, who is responsible for teaching young men, to a higher standard than I would one of those young men he is supposed to lead. If CJ made a mistake at the age of 19, and then didn't again - well, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

My 2 cents.
      People make mistakes in life; sometimes very big ones. It is no reason to throw the person under the bus and make them start over.

It is one thing to find justification for termination as the leader of a program, and another context to allow that person to personally and professionally regroup back a level.

I may be biased though. Outside of Marshall, there is no one that has ever been on the MBB coaching staff at WSU that I like better than Jans. I was perfectly content with the idea of him taking over, should our good graces not have occurred in the prior 18 hours.

Just sucks.

Comment

• Short of something involving charges being filed by the law, I think he deserves a 2nd chance. Here or anywhere for that matter. So ling as he learned from whatever mistake he made.

But I reserve the right to change my mind depending on the video.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Provided no one got hurt and he just embarassed himself one would hope he could recover his career.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Zac Jackson ‏@FSOhioZJackson 9m9 minutes ago
            BG fired coach Chris Jans after an incident an off-campus bar involving inappropriate behavior by Jans towards at least one patron.

Such a shame. I personally know he is a very good person. Perhaps he can come back here.

Comment

• Whats sucks most is this incident will likely prevent him from getting another head coaching opportunity for a very, very long time.

Comment

• colleges coaches and bars don't mix

Comment

• As far as bringing Chris back to Wichita State I will leave that totally up to Coach Marshall. We are unlikely to ever have all of the facts. I trust that 3G would adequately investigate and evaluate the situation and that if he felt it was in Wichita State's best interest to bring Chris back into the fold I can live with that.

One thing I would be concerned about though is how something like this could compromise Chris as a recruiter. A black mark like this can certainly be used against you in the recruiting wars.

Comment

• Saw HCGM and Jans together at NJCAA. They are obviously still very tight. I'll be very surprised if Marshall doesn't make a move to get him back.

One stupid incident, that's all it's sounding like.

Comment

• Best thing for Coach Jans is to come back to Wichita and rebuild his future.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                        I'm sorry, but as much as I want to support him, this looks like a massive failure on his part. I'd like to know what he did before I really decide what I think, but good grief. Talk about blowing it.
                        Maybe he posted something on twitter that is not allowed by them.

Comment

• Marshall is not afraid of things like this. He rehabilitated the image of Coach Forbes, if you remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            As far as bringing Chris back to Wichita State I will leave that totally up to Coach Marshall. We are unlikely to ever have all of the facts. I trust that 3G would adequately investigate and evaluate the situation and that if he felt it was in Wichita State's best interest to bring Chris back into the fold I can live with that.

One thing I would be concerned about though is how something like this could compromise Chris as a recruiter. A black mark like this can certainly be used against you in the recruiting wars.
                            You hit the nail on the head. This situation compromises an entire basketball program's ability to be trusted with young men and of course that goes a long way with parents of recruits.

Comment

• We've all made mistakes after having a few, I would welcome Coach Jans back to the family with open arms

Comment

• Not to downplay any of the incidents, but this reminds me of Larry Eustachy; people CAN come back from this. I'd like to give him a "vesting" by HCGM and I'd certainly consider hiring him back if he meets certain requirements. Let's see what plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X