Pete Maracvich's NCAA Scoring Record In Jeopardy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Especially since his CAREER average is ... 25.5.
    And his father is the head coach. Did you know that they have already retired his jersey number 0? Don't think he'll be another Dave DeBusschere or Spencer Haywood, however.

Comment

He had 22 tonight. Was 0-6 the last 2:34 (they actually led by one at that point) and it seemed getting the record was more important than winning the game.

He was 7-26 from the field. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        He had 22 tonight. Was 0-6 the last 2:34 (they actually led by one at that point) and it seemed getting the record was more important than winning the game.

If they had tried to win the game and make it to the semifinal, he probably would have hit the record in the next game. Use him as a decoy or something for crying out loud.

Their win probability per KenPom was 65% with about four minutes left. Then he took nearly every shot down the stretch and they only scored three more points, two of which were from a technical foul on Youngstown State.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Doc. Thanks for posting this. I didn't click "like" because it seemed to me that I was against the kid. I was not. Frankly, I blame his father/coach who I believe acted in just that order.

I also believe that "records" maybe should have more to do with the number of games a player had an opportunity to play in along with rule changes (3-point line for example). I realize that would most likely get into a real mess to deal with, but I think it's important to reward/honor those who did the best they could within the parameters that they had to deal with.

Comment

Hold on to your hat: Pete Maravich Suffers a Serious Slap in the Face If the CBI Invites Detroit Mercy (sportscasting.com)

Apparently, the CBI is interested in inviting Detroit Mercy to drum up interest in the tournament. Total Garbage!!

Comment

Working...
            X