Pete Maracvich's NCAA Scoring Record In Jeopardy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Maracvich's NCAA Scoring Record In Jeopardy

Antoine Davis, a 6'1" guard at Detroit Mercy has 3,604 career points, which is just 63 points shy of Maravich's 3,667. Davis did get 5 years to get that close and he likely only has two games left.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

I guarantee he gets it. They'll do everything in their power to give him the opportunities to get it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Definitely "ASTERICK" worthy. Davis will have played in around 60% more games than Maravich.

I wonder how close he is coming the all-time Turnover Record. He has over 500.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        I guarantee he gets it. They'll do everything in their power to give him the opportunities to get it.
        Better do as much as possible in their first game. They are an 8 seed playing a 9 seed. If they win, and other higher seeds win in the first round, they will have to play the 1 seed next.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          Definitely "ASTERICK" worthy. Davis will have played in around 60% more games than Maravich.

FIVE HUNDRED???!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

FIVE HUNDRED???!!!!
            Antoine Davis Stats | ESPN

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Antoine Davis, a 6'1" guard at Detroit Mercy has 3,604 career points, which is just 63 points shy of Maravich's 3,667. Davis did get 5 years to get that close and he likely only has two games left.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pete-maravi...rt_l0w2dc1068w
              And didn't Pete do it only 3 (instead of 4)?

And prior to 3 pointers?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

And didn't Pete do it only 3 (instead of 4)?

And prior to 3 pointers?
                That is correct. Pete like Dave the Rave was not allowed to paly "Varsity" basketball as a freshman and he did play before the advent of the 3 point line. But he did get to play for his Dad that no doubt allowed him free reign to do his thing.

Pete's 3,667 points game over 83 games for a 44.2 PPG average.

It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game[12][13] and 12 three-pointers per game.

Interestingly, Pete still managed to average 5.1 assists per game over his 83 game varsity career. His ball handling and passing abilities were very impressive as well.

And who could forget the floppy hair and the floppy socks.

All that said Antoine Davis has a had a very productive and very impressive career.
                Last edited by Kung Wu; February 28, 2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

32 away, according to this...

Turnovers Men's Career Leaders and Records | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
                  78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    I noticed that is from 2007-2008, so not necessarily all-time but some of those numbers are up there and would be hard to top. I see Toure Murray is the top Shocker on this list with 340 which is tied for 174th.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I noticed that is from 2007-2008, so not necessarily all-time.
                      Good point. I hadn't noticed that. But with more games being played in a season than 20-30 years ago, that list probably isn't far from being accurate.
                      78-65

Comment

ESPN - Antoine Davis nears Maravich's NCAA record as Detroit Mercy advances

DETROIT -- Antoine Davis scored 38 to move within 25 points of tying Pete Maravich's NCAA record as Detroit Mercy beat Purdue Fort Wayne 81-68 on Tuesday night in the Horizon League tournament.

Davis will have another opportunity to reach Maravich's career scoring record of 3,667 on Thursday when Detroit Mercy (14-18) faces No. 1 seed Youngstown State. Davis also made six 3-pointers to move within seven of the NCAA single-season mark of 162 set by Stephen Curry in the 2007-08 season.

Davis was 14-of-27 from the field with eight rebounds, eight assists and four steals in his final home game at Calihan Hall -- where his No. 0 jersey is one of 11 retired. Davis was wide open on a breakaway in the closing seconds but opted to pass it to walk-on Tobin Schwannecke for an easy layup before being subbed out to a standing ovation with 1:05 left.
                        He has an outside chance (would take a hell of a game) to take the single season 3pt mark away from Steph Curry.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ESPN - Antoine Davis nears Maravich's NCAA record as Detroit Mercy advances

He has an outside chance (would take a hell of a game) to take the single season 3pt mark away from Steph Curry.
                          Detroit will now face the #1 seed Youngstown State. He had a good first game against them in a loss: 32 points, 11-22 FG, 3-10 3pt. However, in the second game: 15 points, 5-18 FG, 2-12 3pt.

Comment

If I had to put money on it, I say he gets the 25 needed. Especially if the game gets out of hand. They'll force feed him and make sure he gets it. If it ends up being a closer game, he's their go to guy and I think he gets it anyway.

I will grant that 25 points isn't a simple task, I just think there's enough motivation there for him, his teammates, coaches and school to get it done.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If I had to put money on it, I say he gets the 25 needed. Especially if the game gets out of hand. They'll force feed him and make sure he gets it. If it ends up being a closer game, he's their go to guy and I think he gets it anyway.

I will grant that 25 points isn't a simple task, I just think there's enough motivation there for him, his teammates, coaches and school to get it done.
                              Especially since his CAREER average is ... 25.5.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X