Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Self "and the home of the...."

Hmmm. Seems a little sensitive.

So here's a strange little story: Apparently, at some point in the past few seasons, Kansas students have adopted a rather strange little alteration to the "Star Spangled Banner" rendition that precedes every Jayhawks home game.

That is an odd thing to say in Allen Fieldhouse
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

meh, good for Self. No story here.

It is childish to eff with the National Anthem.

Nip that nonsense in the bud.
      I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        "Sensitive?", It is stupid and disrespectful to our country.

Why not add it to the stupid “Rock Chalk” chant that would be more like it.
        An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

The sensitive comment was about his lack of cajones to step up and say something to the students. He was too worried about them not liking him anymore. If it bothered him that much, why hasnt he said anything before? He was worried about their feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wu du Nord View Post
            meh, good for Self. No story here.

It is childish to eff with the National Anthem.

Nip that nonsense in the bud.
            It's stupid they say Chiefs, but most sports arenas in the nation say the home teams name during "home of the ..." It'll always be home of the SHOCKERS when i'm at a game.

Comment

Considering they are KU, they are a very sensitive bunch. Their problem.

Comment

They say home of the Chiefs, because home of the Chickenhawks doesn't sound right.

Comment

Lol.. This is your everyday life if you are a KU fan.. Like the rest of KU nation, by rule you are: Too spooked to dare set foot in Manhattan, even if KU is playing there. Straight up intimidated of Columbia. You claim not to give 2 rats about WSU, but you HATE the term "chickenhawk". Now those darn chiefs, why is our home game crowd saying CHIEFS at the end of the national anthem?? That in a nut shell is what you are thinking, every single week if you are a KU fan.

Comment

Let not a single graduate from KU EVER claim WSU fans have a LITTLE BROTHER complex again. They want so badly to be associated with Kansas City that they now chant for a mascot that has nothing to do with their university. THAT's the definition of LITTLE BROTHER.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan View Post
                      It's stupid they say Chiefs, but most sports arenas in the nation say the home teams name during "home of the ..." It'll always be home of the SHOCKERS when i'm at a game.
                      Fair enough. I remember that sounding just fine. Although... Root Root Root for the SHOCKERS! makes me happier.

Can't begin to imagine how it would have felt to have another team's name subbed in place of the home team.
                      I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                        They say home of the Chiefs, because home of the Chickenhawks doesn't sound right.
                        I wish this site had a 'like' feature.

Comment

I wish this site had a 'like' feature.
                          I'm working on it, fyi. :)
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                            I'm working on it, fyi. :)
                            Yeah, good times.

I've seen a few other sites where it works really well for highlighting good content, and rewarding humorous replies/contributions. You know, the important stuff. ;-)

Ironically, it seems to be a better fcn on message boards than on FB, where I think it originated. It's a quick feedback pulse, that doesn't require much effort to stake out a position or take. It seems much more effectual in moderating discussion than 'cool points', 'reputation' or whatever those dots below to names are called.

Depending on board algorithms, reputation can take thousands of posts and years to develop.... but each comment stands on individual merit. If you post something people like/agree with, then all good.

Comment

Yeah, good times.

I've seen a few other sites where it works really well for highlighting good content, and rewarding humorous replies/contributions. You know, the important stuff. ;-)

Ironically, it seems to be a better fcn on message boards than on FB, where I think it originated. It's a quick feedback pulse, that doesn't require much effort to stake out a position or take. It seems much more effectual in moderating discussion than 'cool points', 'reputation' or whatever those dots below to names are called.

Depending on board algorithms, reputation can take thousands of posts and years to develop.... but each comment stands on individual merit. If you post something people like/agree with, then all good.
                              The cool thing about the Like and Thank You system I'm looking to implement will add to reputation on top of showing each person who Thanked or Liked a post. It's a really neat plugin.

And yes, reputation takes a while to gain on the forum, the equation for rep on here is very detailed. Days registered, # of posts, rep power of other members also influences the amount of rep dished out. When you have people who have been here for years and in the 5,000+ post counts, you either have to set the rep system to ungodly specifications, so there is wiggle room for those posters, or you have a normal standard, and have a bunch of posters who've been here a while, that are maxed out. I tried and setup something in the middle, but had to eventually go to the system of massive amounts of rep, because people were maxing out really quickly. Some people are still maxed out on rep even with the crazy parameters I set. I'm hoping that the new Like system will not necessarily cut out the rep system, but make it more on the back burner, and we can use the number of likes/thank yous to judge a true "reputation" on the forum.

I"m also hoping that by doing the like and thank you system, we can get the hundreds of lurkers to create an account, even if they intend to never post, that way they can show appreciation to posters that they enjoy reading.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X