Charlie Wies to coach KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Wies to coach KU

The Hallelujah Chorus is on repeat in Lawrence.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Its hilarious, a lot of Florida fans are blaming how they played this year on Wies talking about how he's a bad OC. Pretty funny, last I checked, he had a few superbowl rings as an OC.

Great hire for KU. Really great hire.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Its hilarious, a lot of Florida fans are blaming how they played this year on Wies talking about how he's a bad OC. Pretty funny, last I checked, he had a few superbowl rings as an OC.

Great hire for KU. Really great hire.
      There is actually some question about how good a college coach he is. As good an NFL offensive coordinator as he is, I know that many have suggested that he doesn't know how to simplify an offense for the college game. I'm not saying this isn't a good hire or that he won't succeed, but NFL success and college success don't always translate.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        There is actually some question about how good a college coach he is. As good an NFL offensive coordinator as he is, I know that many have suggested that he doesn't know how to simplify an offense for the college game. I'm not saying this isn't a good hire or that he won't succeed, but NFL success and college success don't always translate.
        It's easier to translate success in the NFL and the NCAA at the coordinator level, than the head coaching level, just due to recruiting issues of a head coach. But I totally see where you're coming from. It will be interesting to see how he does at KU.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          It's easier to translate success in the NFL and the NCAA at the coordinator level, than the head coaching level, just due to recruiting issues of a head coach. But I totally see where you're coming from. It will be interesting to see how he does at KU.
          You are absolutely right that more coaches have trouble translating college success to NFL success, but it can work in the other direction as well. The upside for KU is that Weis has more experience with college coaching that when he took the ND job, so he may correct some of his past mistakes.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Nice thread. Would read again.

Comment

Weiss will only be as good as the Coordinators he can get to come in.

I'm not a big BS Football fan, but a buddy of mine mentioned his dream coupling was Mike Stoops and Ron Zook.

Comment

I would see if josh mcdaniels wanted a job. He had a pretty simple offense... wait, what offense?

But seriously, I would seriously look at him as a OC. Is mike Sherman a defensive coach? He might be a good hire.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I love this. KU fans forget that by far and away the number 1 most important thing is recruiting and Charlie will be recruiting to Lawrence Kansas.

Comment

$12.5 million over 5 years. Those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Is it just me, or does Weis, at least in this photo, look a little like Chaz Bono?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I will say this just about anyone should be a step up from Turner Gill. Coach Gill seemed like a great guy and maybe someone you might like to have on your staff (but not at the coordinator level) but I think he was in way over his head as a head coach in the Big 12. Good man and there are 10 million reasons I don't feel too badly for him.

I think one thing that attracted Coach Weiss to KU is that the standards are at a low level and the comparisons will be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I love this. KU fans forget that by far and away the number 1 most important thing is recruiting and Charlie will be recruiting to Lawrence Kansas.
                          Not sure what you mean by this? Weis has shown himself to be a pretty damn good recruiter at the college level. It's what he did with the talent afterwards which left some puzzled.
                          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            Is it just me, or does Weis, at least in this photo, look a little like Chaz Bono?

Yes he does. haha +1

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I think one thing that attracted Coach Weiss to KU is that the standards are at a low level and the comparisons will be easy.
                              I agree. This is a great move for Weiss. It's a big payday. KU has put big money into their football program. And after the bad job Gill did, there's really nowhere to go but up.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                              X