Beasley lawsuit claims mother's move to K-State paid improperly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I am sure none of that $420,000 salary that Delonte Hill received found its way into the hands of Beasley or any other recruit as an inducement to attend KSU. That simply could never happen.
    Huggins hires Hill at exhorbitant rate (which is legal).
    Hill (former AAU coach under Malone) convinces Beasley to follow him (again legal).
    Bell pays Malone to move Beasley's mom to Kansas to prevent Beasley from finding another agent when he goes to NBA. (legal but NCAA violation)

The big question is, what financial connection is there between Hill/Bell/Malone, if any? If none, then this goes down like Reggie Bush. If a connection is established it gets ugly quick.

I can see where Hill and Malone weren't in contact on this deal (I don't see where there is a reason for money to trade hands between Hill/Malone) -- that Malone already knew Beasley's mother and the problem is all contained within the Bell --> Malone --> Smith trio.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

No doubt this will all boil down to what can be proved and documented. Huggins is a pretty shrewd guy. Once the unnamed party is outed, if that ever happens, it may not even rise to the point of triggering an NCAA investigation.

Comment

This could get interesting. A couple of facts to remember. Hill didn't come to KSU straight from DC Assault, he was at Charlotte as an assistant for 3 years. Second, he wasn't hired by Huggins as the highest paid assistant in the land, he got that money after Huggins left, when Martin took over. Not sure how this will impact KSU. At this point it sounds no different than the Josh Selby thing, kid got money from someone not associated with any university, therefore KSU will vacate some wins from that season as they played an ineligible player. But as was posted, if Hill is found to have known any of this, KSU could be in deeper. I remember talking with one of Coach Turgeon's assistants shortly after Turgeon went to A&M and he told me that Turg was getting his eyes opened to just how ugly and nasty the big time really is. He said the nastiness was starting to even creep into the mid majors, but nothing like in the high major leagues. He said everyone is in the gutter, at least everyone that is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Huggins hires Hill at exhorbitant rate (which is legal).
          Hill (former AAU coach under Malone) convinces Beasley to follow him (again legal).
          Bell pays Malone to move Beasley's mom to Kansas to prevent Beasley from finding another agent when he goes to NBA. (legal but NCAA violation)

The big question is, what financial connection is there between Hill/Bell/Malone, if any? If none, then this goes down like Reggie Bush. If a connection is established it gets ugly quick.

I can see where Hill and Malone weren't in contact on this deal (I don't see where there is a reason for money to trade hands between Hill/Malone) -- that Malone already knew Beasley's mother and the problem is all contained within the Bell --> Malone --> Smith trio.
          According to the link 1972Shocker posted, Beasley's lawyers appear to be trying to connect the dots that would implicate Hill and Huggins. If Beasley or his Mom are willing to throw KSU under the bus and they can provide enough info to know where to issue the subpeopnas to follow the money trail, I think KSU is caught.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Then there is the somewhat amorphous concept of "institutional control" in which you may not need to establish a direct link between those involved in the violations and KSU employees so long as you can demonstrate that the institution failed to have proper oversight that would have detected and prevented the violations.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

BSCat's comments, please. ROFL.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                I'd be more interested in Bill Snyder's comments. I bet he is not a happy camper.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    According to the link 1972Shocker posted, Beasley's lawyers appear to be trying to connect the dots that would implicate Hill and Huggins. If Beasley or his Mom are willing to throw KSU under the bus and they can provide enough info to know where to issue the subpeopnas to follow the money trail, I think KSU is caught.
                    Ah thanks for pointing out @1972Shocker:'s link ... I missed it. So I just skimmed it a bit.

The lawyers actually aren't trying to create that link. In fact if you read #43, it's quite the opposite. It says that Beasley wasn't aware of the interaction between his mother, Bell, and Malone. That's Beasley's attorney saying that, so Beasley himself is claiming to be unaware of that interaction.

Based on that, unless there is interaction between Hill and and Beasley's mom, they aren't going to find a link, nor do they care if there is one. Beasley just wants out of his NBA Agent contract.

I think KSU might not be implicated in this, unless there is a connection between Hill and Beasley's mom. Or maybe that's the dots you think they might be trying to connect?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Ah thanks for pointing out @1972Shocker's link ... I missed it. So I just skimmed it a bit.

The lawyers actually aren't trying to create that link. In fact if you read #43, it's quite the opposite. It says that Beasley wasn't aware of the interaction between his mother, Bell, and Malone. That's Beasley's attorney saying that, so Beasley himself is claiming to be unaware of that interaction.

Based on that, unless there is interaction between Hill and and Beasley's mom, they aren't going to find a link, nor do they care if there is one. Beasley just wants out of his NBA Agent contract.

I think KSU might not be implicated in this, unless there is a connection between Hill and Beasley's mom. Or maybe that's the dots you think they might be trying to connect?
                      Cam Newton defense?????
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-10-30/in-beasley-suit-its-hard-to-view-aau-coach-malone-as-the-bad-guy

Really good article on the Beasley law-suit.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

One question I have about Malone and his mentoring is how many kids did he mentor that did not play basketball at what seems to be at a very high level?

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                            Cam Newton defense?????
                            @jocoshock: Well it worked! Hahaha

Comment

The agent has no loyalty to Martin, Huggins, Hill, or KSU. So unless this thing is settled out of court, Beasley better hope he didn't know anything.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                              X