Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCSCat View Post
    LOL, you guys never disappoint.

Sorry Kai. I feel this is a badly needed change and it has nothing to do with the power schools trying to get something over on the mid majors. It's about doing the right thing for those athletes that work so hard for our schools yet many can't afford to travel home to see their families or to buy everyday necessities. It's the right thing to do.
    Oh I never said, or thought, that the main reason behind them doing this, isn't to help out the student athletes. I just think that no BCS school will vote this down, because 1) they have the money, and 2) It will help further differentiate themselves from non-BCS schools.

Also I updated your user tag to KSU fan with your colors. I'm going to start doing this for visiting fans.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

So what will you put for DJA?....
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        So what will you put for DJA?....
        @DoubleJayAlum: ? I put Creighton Fan, am I wrong for that?

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          @DoubleJayAlum ? I put Creighton Fan, am I wrong for that?
          sCUm is the proper terminology.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's not totally clear if the extra money will apply to all sports or not. Do all baseball or softball players, or track and field athletes who receive smaller scholarships also get this money or does it just apply to football and basketball? If all BCS universities are for this, why don't they just offer larger scholarships to more athletes?

Comment

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved a sweeping reform package Thursday that allows conferences to add more money and multiple years to scholarship offers and toughens academic recruiting standards.

It has been approved.

Comment

There were other changes made as well. Sweeping changes that are going to be felt for years and years to come. I think this vote is THE most important thing to happen in college sports in at least a decade.

The Valley has some BIG decisions to make.

This thread may out distance the Ehimen Orupke thread before it's all said and done.

Comment

Here is the outline of the changes made.

• Gave each conference option of adding $2,000 per scholarship toward full cost of attendance, or money beyond that supplied to cover tuition, room and board, books and fees. Schools that agree to expand scholarship costs must provide equal amount of the extra money to women's athletes.

• Gave individual schools choice of awarding scholarships on a multiyear basis instead of annually. Scholarships could not be revoked based on athletic performance. Multiyear scholarships would cover athletes for the max amount of time they have remaining eligibility (4 or 5 years for incoming freshmen, shorter lengths for transfers).

• Tied academic performance to postseason play. Beginning in 2012-13, teams must hit 900 on the Academic Progress Rate over four years or have an average of 930 over the two most recent years to be eligible for postseason play. In 2014-15, teams must have four-year score of 930 or 940 average in the two most recent years. In 2015-16, everybody has to hit 930, no exceptions. There will be waivers and appeals, though kept to a minimum.

• Imposed tougher academic standards for incoming freshmen and junior college transfers. Beginning in August 2012, high school seniors will need a 2.3 GPA in 16 core courses, instead of the current 2.0 GPA, and must complete 10 of those classes before their senior year. Junior college transfers would need a 2.5 GPA and can count only two physical education credits toward eligibility. Students that meet the current standards but not the new ones will be given an "academic redshirt" year in which they will be on scholarship and can practice with the team but cannot travel or participate in games.

• Instituted new summer basketball recruiting model. Instead of 20 evaluation days in July and none in April, coaches will have four evaluation days in April and 12 in July. In addition, coaches will be allowed more contact with their players in summer, with details to be worked out. Change also means coaches can make unlimited calls or send unlimited texts to prep recruits after June 15 at end of their sophomore year.

• Endorsed a working group's model to edit the NCAA's massive rulebook and focus on broad integrity questions rather than rules such as the size of permissible envelopes to mail information to recruits.

• Received an update from another working group that is working on the penalty structure for infractions. The group intends to propose four categories of infractions, instead of the current two, and to establish guidelines for sanctions based on each set of violations

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    There were other changes made as well. Sweeping changes that are going to be felt for years and years to come. I think this vote is THE most important thing to happen in college sports in at least a decade.

The Valley has some BIG decisions to make.

This thread may out distance the Ehimen Orupke thread before it's all said and done.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Will these changes (especially the APR rules) be an additional catalyst for the BCS schools splitting off from the NCAA once the conference realignment circus has taken its course?

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, Missouri State could be in a world of trouble. Their last 2 reported scores are 908 and 896 with last season's unavailable. Not much margin for error in Springfield. The rest of the Valley appears to be in good shape for now.

The higher incoming standards are going to either eliminate a bunch of kids not ready for college or bring cheating to an entirely new level. And as far as jucos go, 2.5? One of our assistant coaches just became a lot less valuable I am afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Will these changes (especially the APR rules) be an additional catalyst for the BCS schools splitting off from the NCAA once the conference realignment circus has taken its course?
                          Hard to say....if I read the statement correctly, the plan called for adapting it to the FBS group as well, meaning (I think) that big time football will live up to the same standards. We'll see.

Comment

$2,000 per year won't even be a COL increase for the Jayhawk hoopsters.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              As I mentioned earlier, Missouri State could be in a world of trouble. Their last 2 reported scores are 908 and 896 with last season's unavailable. Not much margin for error in Springfield. The rest of the Valley appears to be in good shape for now.

The higher incoming standards are going to either eliminate a bunch of kids not ready for college or bring cheating to an entirely new level. And as far as jucos go, 2.5? One of our assistant coaches just became a lot less valuable I am afraid.
                              I'm not so sure. There is the "academic redshirt" option. It will make the better juco transfers all that more coveted since coaches would be giving three years of scholarship for two years of play.

Based on @_kai_: 's summary, I have mixed feelings. The $2000 extra will create a divide both between and within conferences. I like the increase of academic standards, but have a feeling it will push the Bc$ers closer to leaving the NCAA.

Comment

Does the extra $2,000 per year mean that many of the athletes at BCS schools will have to take a pay cut?

Comment

Working...
                                X