No announcement yet.

NCAA Approves Scholarship Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in favor it and believe it will pass. If the MVC doesn't go along with it, we definitely need another conference.
    In the fast lane

Comment

My proposal would be to let each student athlete take out a student loan of up to 2,400.00 per year just like OTHER students do if they can't make ends meet. Each school would be responsible for making the loans and at what percentage the loan would be made at. The loans would be repayable at each institutions timetable or it could all be done as per the ncaa. This way its still all a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
        I'm in favor it and believe it will pass. If the MVC doesn't go along with it, we definitely need another conference.
        I guess I'm not understanding why the MVC wouldn't support this. If your conferences' schools can't afford less than $1M/year to help their athletes (especially those that come from disadvantaged backgrounds) by giving them a bit of spending money what the hell are they doing in Division 1 anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by BCSCat View Post
          I guess I'm not understanding why the MVC wouldn't support this. If your conferences' schools can't afford less than $1M/year to help their athletes (especially those that come from disadvantaged backgrounds) by giving them a bit of spending money what the hell are they doing in Division 1 anyway?
          You nailed it my furry friend. That's the million $ question!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Hmmm.... lets do a little math here. There's this nice database out there that shows a bottom line "expense to revenue difference", i.e. net profit for the public D1 schools at the end of last year.

Here's some sample data:
            KU - $10,064,665
            KSU - $5,489,598
            WSU - $376,785
            Boise St - $60,685
            Northern Iowa - $10,050

So if the NCAA goes forward with this the big boys give up a million from their monster TV contracts and still make millions. The little guys get creamed and have to either not do it, or drop non-revenue sports, or raise ticket prices. If any of the "mids" have to give in to this, their athletic departments all go into red. If you haven't figured out by now, the NCAA is not about competition, or athletes, or fans, its about the big institutions raking in the cash. Here's a link if you want to play with the numbers: http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financ...?school_id=131

Comment

Note that KSU makes $5.1 million more than WSU, but receives nearly $7.4 million more from their conference than WSU does. In other words, having finances available isn't about whether a school's internal revenue sources are solvent than about whether you have coat tails to ride.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                Hmmm.... lets do a little math here. There's this nice database out there that shows a bottom line "expense to revenue difference", i.e. net profit for the public D1 schools at the end of last year.

Here's some sample data:
                KU - $10,064,665
                KSU - $5,489,598
                WSU - $376,785
                Boise St - $60,685
                Northern Iowa - $10,050

So if the NCAA goes forward with this the big boys give up a million from their monster TV contracts and still make millions. The little guys get creamed and have to either not do it, or drop non-revenue sports, or raise ticket prices. If any of the "mids" have to give in to this, their athletic departments all go into red. If you haven't figured out by now, the NCAA is not about competition, or athletes, or fans, its about the big institutions raking in the cash. Here's a link if you want to play with the numbers: http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financ...?school_id=131
                The link you provide and the numbers you're showing for WSU are for 2004-05. In 2009-10, WSU made over $1,100,000 (more normal year) and in 2008-09 over $4,000,000 (not a normal year). UNI had a profit of over $700,000 for 2009-10.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  Note that KSU makes $5.1 million more than WSU, but receives nearly $7.4 million more from their conference than WSU does. In other words, having finances available isn't about whether a school's internal revenue sources are solvent than about whether you have coat tails to ride.
                  It's all about making decisions over the years to join and stay in a conference like the Big 6/7/8/12. WSU could just as easily done what K-State has done but chose not to.

Comment

It's all about making decisions over the years to join and stay in a conference like the Big 6/7/8/12. WSU could just as easily done what K-State has done but chose not to.
                    How do you know what choices WSU was presented with over the past several decades?

WSU's fate was pretty much sealed when Cinci, Louisville and Memphis all left. The last nail was football's failure, partially due to the lasting effects of a tragic accident in 1970.

I just reviewed the latest financial data on the USAToday site. With the possible exception of SIU, WSU's financial profile is far and away better than any other MVC public school when you look past the bottom-line numbers. No one else in the conference can touch WSU's ticket sales or contributions - and that's without football.

WSU is the only one (again, of the public schools) to receive less than 30% of it's overall revenue from student fees or direct institutional support (26%). In fact, other than UNI (34%), the others are over 50%. That tells me WSU could support football if the students agree to help subsidize it. It also tells me that WSU is in the best position to join a better conference, even without football.

Comment

A. That idea only works in hindsight. You can't guarantee which conference will be the one to succeed over the long term, so just saying get in the good conference and stay there is idiotic. There was a time that the Valley was a dominant conference. Making merit out of that decision is like a lottery winner claiming that anyone could have bought the winning ticket, so why did they buy a losing one?

B. It sure makes life easier for you to ignore the operations of the board of regents and how much KSU has ridden the coattails of KU doesn't it?
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        A. That idea only works in hindsight. You can't guarantee which conference will be the one to succeed over the long term, so just saying get in the good conference and stay there is idiotic. There was a time that the Valley was a dominant conference. Making merit out of that decision is like a lottery winner claiming that anyone could have bought the winning ticket, so why did they buy a losing one?

B. It sure makes life easier for you to ignore the operations of the board of regents and how much KSU has ridden the coattails of KU doesn't it?
                        C. Please ignore this insecure fool. It's obvious he isn't here other than to cause trouble. Let him post his nonsense and simply don't interact with him. He will eventually leave.

EDIT: I'm referring to the cat and not TMH.
                        Last edited by Ta town; October 26, 2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Just curious, if the Big 12 had collapsed (which still may happen in the near future)....I wonder where KSU will "choose" to go. ROFL! The SEC would be the best choice if they're choosing. But likely they would end up in a midmajor conference. It's not always about what you "choose".

Comment

Coattail riding FAIL.

Your school is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to BCS pickings. Don't act like anything Kansas State has done is very noteworthy or above WSU. Because outside of 8 years in a decades-long football program, you guys have been dog poop.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Trolls must be fed. Come on guys... lets bring it back a notch or two.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

LOL, you guys never disappoint.

Sorry Kai. I feel this is a badly needed change and it has nothing to do with the power schools trying to get something over on the mid majors. It's about doing the right thing for those athletes that work so hard for our schools yet many can't afford to travel home to see their families or to buy everyday necessities. It's the right thing to do.
                                Last edited by BCSCat; October 26, 2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X