No announcement yet.

AAC - Navy football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe nobody posted about the Navy game today. I'm looking forward to hearing from those who made the trip to Tulsa.

Comment

I posted in the AAC thread by mistake. We had a good time. I almost always over estimate but at least a hundred, probably 200+ WSU fans in attendance. Representatives of the USS Tulsa were there, which was cool.

Bill the Goat is entertaining.

If you aren't a fan of the POW6R moniker, then you probably will want to avoid AAC football for sure. Many POW6R scoreboard videos, references, flags...everything. It's not going away this year at least.

I have to say, it's hard seeing Tulsa football and not think we should be playing it too. Maybe 18k in attendance. Skelly Field at H A Chapman Stadium, even today, is barely more impressive than Cessna Stadium. I know it's different in Oklahoma but still....the kicker was TU inducting the '82 Football team into their HOF. That hurt.

Got to see a little of everything...military salute by the band, big plays, turnovers, blocked kicks, chain gang guy collapse (the Navy bench response was amazing btw), mascot, Veterans, plebes, proud parents etc etc. Just a fun day.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I posted in the AAC thread by mistake. We had a good time. I almost always over estimate but at least a hundred, probably 200+ WSU fans in attendance. Representatives of the USS Tulsa were there, which was cool.

Bill the Goat is entertaining.

If you aren't a fan of the POW6R moniker, then you probably will want to avoid AAC football for sure. Many POW6R scoreboard videos, references, flags...everything. It's not going away this year at least.

I have to say, it's hard seeing Tulsa football and not think we should be playing it too. Maybe 18k in attendance. Skelly Field at H A Chapman Stadium, even today, is barely more impressive than Cessna Stadium. I know it's different in Oklahoma but still....the kicker was TU inducting the '82 Football team into their HOF. That hurt.

Got to see a little of everything...military salute by the band, big plays, turnovers, blocked kicks, chain gang guy collapse (the Navy bench response was amazing btw), mascot, Veterans, plebes, proud parents etc etc. Just a fun day.
        A couple of questions WuDrWu:

Did you wear WSU gear or Navy gear or...?

Any interaction with Tulsa folk who knew you were from Wichita supporting Navy?

Any true Navy fan interactions who knew you were a WSU fan?

Comment

Originally posted by wheathead View Post

That's 3 questions, you're only allowed 2. Please eliminate one.

Comment

A mix of both. There were also buttons made up that were a hybrid of WSU/NAVY which was cute.

Not especially...It was pretty clear we were WSU fans, but I don't go out of my way to socialize. Everyone was pleasant and respectful, a change from "this" world lol

Well yes...we went to the pregame tailgate lunch and sat in the Navy section. The Navy folks are outstanding, but then you don't need me to tell you that. They just are.

Comment

That's 3 questions, you're only allowed 2. Please eliminate one.
              3rd was a bonus question for the lightening round.

Comment

I have to say, it's hard seeing Tulsa football and not think we should be playing it too. Maybe 18k in attendance. Skelly Field at H A Chapman Stadium, even today, is barely more impressive than Cessna Stadium.
                I can certainly understand those thoughts on a beautiful fall day while attending a Navy game just down the road from Doo-Dah. Had to be a lot of fun.

However, when I think about where would WSU be today if it had not dropped football my mind gravitates to Missouri State's current situation. At that point it seems much less enticing. Very possible that if we still had football we would not be a member of the American Conference today.

Comment

Three of us went including my buddy thats a grad of the USNA. Beautiful day and the Navy people were all very welcoming to their Shocker adopted fans. Wicihitas own Bucky Walters was there wearing an enlisted mans cover. The tailgate was good and was held in the Reynolds Center to which we will return when we play Tulsa in Basketball. The buttons the WSU allumni association had a Wu on it and Go Navy lettering. The Navy as well as our other service academies really do extend courtesy and sportsmanship to the opposing players before and after the game. Navy stood behind Tulsas players as Tulsa and the band sang the Tulsa alma mater and then went to the other end of the stadium where we were and sang their song. It may no be top 10 football but it is a very good example of teams fighting with everything they have. A very good time was had and I think the Navy faithful enjoyed our company.

Comment

Navy is 5-0. Which means we're STILL undefeated since 1985. Go shox. Go Navy.

Comment

Navy is 5-0. Which means we're STILL undefeated since 1985. Go shox. Go Navy.
                      Except for the 8 losses in 1986.

And while the Shockers are undefeated in football since then they are also equally winless.

But I like the sentiment of Go Shocks! Go Navy!
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 7, 2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Navy is 5-0. Which means we're STILL undefeated since 1987. Go shox. Go Navy.

I should know better than to post something like that without checking my facts. Much abliged '72.

Comment

Thats the trouble with some people they just want to ruin a good story with facts.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            Thats the trouble with some people they just want to ruin a good story with facts.

That's a fact!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I resemble that.

Comment

Welp,...I guess we just had our first loss in 30 years. It had to happen sometime. Go shox! Go Navy!

Comment

Working...
                                X