No announcement yet.

How I Got My User Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was late finding out about this site, so when coming up with a user name I go ShockTalk! Then I thought, "No...somebody's got to already have that name". Tried it anyway and to my surprise, I got it! Shock Talk also remined me of an old rock song, Talk Talk. Yeah, I'm old as dirt, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

I can’t complain about it. It paid for a huge chunk of my schooling and when I decided to drop off scholarship and just play for fun, I was the only non scholarship player in the jazz band. That allowed me to be a screwball and have a ton of fun with no pressure.

I’ve played some cool gigs, even played a show at the Lincoln Center, but the funnest gig was for a school donor banquet. There was an open bar and since we rehearsed before everyone showed up, we had time to kill so we drank half of the stocked liquor before the bartender got real uncool and cut us off. Probably the worst performance we ever put on, but we had a frickin blast.
      A jazz fan huh? You're getting less creepy by the minute. Keep talkin' Alaskan.

Comment

I am the mama of a Shocker alum.

Comment

Lonesome Dove character Woodrow F Call. Reminded me of the Shocker way of basketball. Tough and gritty. His famous quote "I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it" was similar to our "don't disrespect us" attitude that Coach Marshall brought with him.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

ABC are the initials of one of my high school nick names. I've been using it from the beginning in 1999/2000 or so. And I have had a few other usernames, but not for a decade or more. I am too mature for that nonsense now. The only one I remember is "earlinyoureye" - don't know where that came from. But earl was the first person to reveal the plan to renovate Henry Levitt Arena. Yes, that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              ABC are the initials of one of my high school nick names. I've been using it from the beginning in 1999/2000 or so. And I have had a few other usernames, but not for a decade or more. I am too mature for that nonsense now. The only one I remember is "earlinyoureye" - don't know where that came from. But earl was the first person to reveal the plan to renovate Henry Levitt Arena. Yes, that is true.
              "Mudinyoureye" sounds better, especially during drinking games.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                Michigan J. Frog?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Michigan J. Frog?
                  It's my favorite cartoon of all-time. I always wondered who can think that stuff up?

Comment

I had Kung add “Quigley Up Over” to my profile as a play on Quigley Down Under. It’s a reference to Alaska- if Australia is down under than we are up over.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Was a big fan of the Don & Mike show and the Don Imas.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
                        I used to enjoy the Don & Mike show, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because Buzz was from Wichita. They were pretty enjoyable in the afternoons and if I remember correctly, came on after Rome. There may have been some overlap originally.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Loved Warren Armstrong as a kid...though not from Wichita, saw him play once(TOTALLY can't remember where)...but when I joined, wanted to honor him...Molly just happens to rhyme....:)

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
                            I miss Don Imus a ton. Yes he got out of line (what do you call 100 lesbians with rifles? Militia Etheridge) but he was great with his political prying and wasn't afraid to dig at either side.

Another person brought down for no reason other than bad taste, and shortly thereafter the end of the Imus Ranch for kids with cancer. Who was hurt there? Rutgers women's basketball, or the CJ Foundation for SIDS, the Imus Ranch for children with Cancer and the Tomorrows Children's Fund?

Comment

Don't scream at me, please. I have been following Houston Cougar Basketball since about 1960 and have always enjoyed high school and college ball ever since. Took a break from college sports while learning to be single again, so I took up dancing (great night time activity) and golf (great daytime activity) I began to take C & W lessons, but my lady friend did not have time to join me, so I studied both the guys and gals part and became proficient. Began to teach for the studio after about 8 months, and did so for a couple of years, while continuing to study more advanced patterns and techniques. After several years, I took up ballroom dancing, and it became my favorite, at least the smooth dances. Last taught and last danced just prior to Covid shutdown, but should have stopped earlier, as my second knee surgery left something to be desired. Of course, we, my brother, his best friend and my SO enjoyed all three of our games over this past weekend (AAC Tournament in Fort Worth) and I know your guys did not enjoy your last game so much. Really came here to compliment the couple who sat in section 107, just around row 9. They were just behind us and as the last game ended, we visited for awhile. Very friendly folks and I enjoyed our conversation.

They asked about how many players we'd be loosing at the end of this season and who. I shared with time that info and some facts about one of our games that ended in a loss. They had no idea that the week prior to our ECU game, the city of Houston, along with much of the surrounding area, was without electricity and without water for much of that week. No practice, no showers, no close contact. It was a bad week for Texas, South Texas for sure.

I did want to compliment all of the fans we encountered from WS. Everyone was sociable and conversational. Looking forward to some great games with your guys next year.

PS . . . . . Thanks for allowing me to join your board. You just might enjoy our "Coogfans" board, also.
                              Last edited by Idanceballroom; March 18, 2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I am a huge rock music fan. So my name is a ode to Queen’s We will rock you plus it fits the Shocks because we have rocked many “big” time basketball schools over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X