Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I Got My User Name

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How I Got My User Name

    I played the first-ever on-line multi-player role-paying game in the late 1900's. The game was "Realm", made by Sierra, who's been out of business a very long time. I died a lot in that game, so I made a new character, with some knowledge of how the game was played and named that character "Aargh", based on my tendency toward failure.

    I joined a message board about that game and used my game name on that message board.

    When I first found ShockerNet, I tried to create a user ID, but I was told I already had an account. ShockerNet was on the same bulletin board system as the game board I was already on. I already had a username and password for the game message board that worked on ShockerNet. So, my name here is based on the fact that I died a lot in an online game.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

  • #2
    Noob.
    Kung Wu say war not determine who is right, war determine who is left.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I played the first-ever on-line multi-player role-paying game in the late 1900's. The game was "Realm", made by Sierra, who's been out of business a very long time. I died a lot in that game, so I made a new character, with some knowledge of how the game was played and named that character "Aargh", based on my tendency toward failure.

      I joined a message board about that game and used my game name on that message board.

      When I first found ShockerNet, I tried to create a user ID, but I was told I already had an account. ShockerNet was on the same bulletin board system as the game board I was already on. I already had a username and password for the game message board that worked on ShockerNet. So, my name here is based on the fact that I died a lot in an online game.
      Lame story, but welcome to the party! :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Pogo was a comic strip back in the day and could have been one of the first political/satire comic strips ever. I've always enjoyed this genre no matter its
        delivery. Will Rogers, Mark Twain, Doonesbury, Bloom County. One of my favorite quotes from Pogo was "We have met the enemy and he is us." Truly a great turn of a phrase.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Pogo was a comic strip back in the day and could have been one of the first political/satire comic strips ever. I've always enjoyed this genre no matter its
          delivery. Will Rogers, Mark Twain, Doonesbury, Bloom County. One of my favorite quotes from Pogo was "We have met the enemy and he is us." Truly a great turn of a phrase.
          I figured you just forgot to add the stick.

          Comment


          • #6
            No, but it is big.

            Comment


            • #7
              Joined my SR year in high school because I should have been doing something better with my time but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what was better than shockernet. This was the first username I tried. I wanted something simple without meaning.
              When you believe in something, the only person that's gotta believe it is you. Everything else is for the birds.- LeVelle Moton
              Wichita is going to the rich side of town with a pack of matches and a five gallon tank of gasoline and try to burn everything to the ground

              Comment


              • #8
                WstateU

                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wanted a username reflecting that my views, thoughts and opinions solely belong to the smartest guy on the SN planet that applied to the SHOX and the league we play in (MVC, now AAC-thanks to Kung Wu for adding formerly known as...). You all can go to hell in a hand basket that have disproven that I am the smartest guy here (it is a long list). I still think EO, given all the resources thrown at him and waiting, did not even come close to matching all the hype. Still love the kid though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    <------Pretty self-explanatory.
                    Go Shocks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Didn’t attend WSU for an education, but attended many games throughout the early/mid 90s. Wanted something to reflect that I was not a grad and used WU for Wichita University and a play on Wushock. WuFan roles off the tongue a little better that WSUFan.
                      Livin the dream

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My high school was one of the first high schools in Kansas to assign laptops to every student to the extent that they could take them home. Big mistake. When I was a junior, I enrolled in “teachers aide” for the band director which meant I slept in the band room, practiced a lot, and generally did nothing (first chair trumpet for three years had its perks. Nope, I didn’t have a girlfriend. I was pretty square). I found my way to Shockernet, typed in shock and was surprised when it was available.
                        When you believe in something, the only person that's gotta believe it is you. Everything else is for the birds.- LeVelle Moton
                        Wichita is going to the rich side of town with a pack of matches and a five gallon tank of gasoline and try to burn everything to the ground

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was a pretty decent basketball player growing up. In HS, I had a couple of friends that would call me a basketball god when I got in the zone. At one point, I was dating a girl who said something along the lines of you're not God. I said, I know I'm not the God, it's more like a sub-god in a joking manner. My friends heard it and starting using it, and since I'm not the least bit creative, that's what I used when I signed up way back when. Pretty sure I was still in HS, but it may have been just after.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shock View Post
                            My high school was one of the first high schools in Kansas to assign laptops to every student to the extent that they could take them home. Big mistake. When I was a junior, I enrolled in “teachers aide” for the band director which meant I slept in the band room, practiced a lot, and generally did nothing (first chair trumpet for three years had its perks. Nope, I didn’t have a girlfriend. I was pretty square). I found my way to Shockernet, typed in shock and was surprised when it was available.
                            Band nerd. Makes sense now.

                            I was first chair trumpet as well (didn't play beyond Jr. High). People challenged me for my seat but I was untouchable.

                            And I did have a girlfriend.

                            I was a hockey fan (played too) and used to cause problems on a hockey board before I discovered ShockerNet in '99.

                            Hockey, asshole, coldblooded. Get it?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

                              Band nerd. Makes sense now.

                              I was first chair trumpet as well (didn't play beyond Jr. High). People challenged me for my seat but I was untouchable.

                              And I did have a girlfriend.

                              I was a hockey fan (played too) and used to cause problems on a hockey board before I discovered ShockerNet in '99.

                              Hockey, asshole, coldblooded. Get it?
                              I can’t complain about it. It paid for a huge chunk of my schooling and when I decided to drop off scholarship and just play for fun, I was the only non scholarship player in the jazz band. That allowed me to be a screwball and have a ton of fun with no pressure.

                              I’ve played some cool gigs, even played a show at the Lincoln Center, but the funnest gig was for a school donor banquet. There was an open bar and since we rehearsed before everyone showed up, we had time to kill so we drank half of the stocked liquor before the bartender got real uncool and cut us off. Probably the worst performance we ever put on, but we had a frickin blast.
                              When you believe in something, the only person that's gotta believe it is you. Everything else is for the birds.- LeVelle Moton
                              Wichita is going to the rich side of town with a pack of matches and a five gallon tank of gasoline and try to burn everything to the ground

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X