Is there something wrong with Shockernet or is it my Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there something wrong with Shockernet or is it my Computer

Every time I open any of my browsers, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome, go to Shockernet, and then click on a forum link or a link to a thread, it opens another tab to a random site. A lot of times, the site is a fake site that says my computer has a virus or Trojan and to call the number displayed. Once I get the tab closed out, everything is okay. I can click on links normally and no other pages pop up.

This only happens with Shockernet. It started like yesterday. It seems like it's something on my computer since it happens with any browser I try. But I don't understand why it only happens with Shockernet.

Anyone have any ideas? I did a scan of my computer for viruses, Trojans, malware, etc. and never found anything.

Also, I can get it to happen again by opening Shockernet in a new tab or window.

Shockernet is running fine for me across all browsers, so it must be something local to your computer. The fact it does that across all browsers is interesting. My guess is it is some kind of malware or adware that your scan did not catch. If I discover any ideas, I will pass them along.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I know of at least one other person experiencing this issue.

Comment

Also, if I refresh the Shockernet page (F5), it will occur again when I click on a link. It seems to only happen one time though. Sometimes there is a voice that says, you need to do such and such. Occasionally, the page looks like a Microsoft page, but the web address is completely different. Other times, it's just a random web page. Sometimes, the only way to get off the page is to use Task Manager. Sometimes Windows Defender blocks the site saying it is an unsafe page.

Comment

The same thing is happening to me.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Same problem here as well. There's a virus or script or something going on. Started last night. Pages slow to load too.

Happening not just on desktop - I've had it on an iPhone using both Safari and Chrome. Page hijacks, spontaneous new tabs, and pop-ups.

Comment

I concur with Royal. I've seen similar situations and generally found some unexpected program in Control Panel ->Add or remove Programs, that was the problem.

You might also look at what is running in your browsers when you start them. I use cCleaner (free version) for that. Disabling browser startups is safer than removing programs through Control Panel.

Anti-virus programs won't always find Malware. Malware is written to avoid the triggers that set off anti-virus scanners.

One common way to get a problem like you described is to download a program from the Net, but not from the original source. The installers for popular free downlaids are grabbed by third parties and rewritten to install their programs in addition to the desired program. Everything looks normal until the additional program takes over your comp[uter or browser.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                I concur with Royal. I've seen similar situations and generally found some unexpected program in Control Panel ->Add or remove Programs, that was the problem.

You might also look at what is running in your browsers when you start them. I use cCleaner (free version) for that. Disabling browser startups is safer than removing programs through Control Panel.

Anti-virus programs won't always find Malware. Malware is written to avoid the triggers that set off anti-virus scanners.

One common way to get a problem like you described is to download a program from the Net, but not from the original source. The installers for popular free downlaids are grabbed by third parties and rewritten to install their programs in addition to the desired program. Everything looks normal until the additional program takes over your comp[uter or browser.
                I could see that being a possibility if it was happening on other websites, too. But it is only happening on Shockernet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  I could see that being a possibility if it was happening on other websites, too. But it is only happening on Shockernet.
                  The fact that it is happening on iPhones running iOS (not jail-broken) pretty much guarantees the problem is on the side of the SN website.

Comment

I had the pop-up last night and this morning and am now noticing it is taking longer to go from topic to topic.

Comment

Same problem here; with IPhone and IPad... f&*^%$*...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Here is portion of the GoDaddy WhoIs information on one of the sites that popped up. It looks like the domain was created two days ago.

Domain Name: ERROR-CODE-OAMXFGWTK.WIN
                        Domain ID: D5138268-WIN
                        WHOIS Server: whois.nic.win
                        Referral URL: http://www.namecheap.com
                        Updated Date: 2017-02-21T10:40:14Z
                        Creation Date: 2017-02-21T10:39:53Z
                        Registry Expiry Date: 2018-02-20T23:59:59Z
                        Sponsoring Registrar: NameCheap, Inc.
                        Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1068
                        Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
                        Registrant ID: C5138267-WIN
                        Registrant Name: WhoisGuard Protected
                        Registrant Organization: WhoisGuard, Inc.
                        Registrant Street: P.O. Box 0823-03411
                        Registrant City: Panama
                        Registrant State/Province: Panama
                        Registrant Postal Code: 0
                        Registrant Country: PA
                        Registrant Phone: +507.8365503
                        Registrant Fax: +51.17057182
                        Registrant Email: 05bd4b9ac7ec4cae9cdb7fc2855b5b45.protect@whoisguar d.com
                        Admin ID: C5138264-WIN
                        Admin Name: WhoisGuard Protected
                        Admin Organization: WhoisGuard, Inc.
                        Admin Street: P.O. Box 0823-03411
                        Admin City: Panama
                        Admin State/Province: Panama
                        Admin Postal Code: 0

Comment

Seems to be coming from onclkads.com, listening on the first click event of a window session.

Comment

If it is onclickads, try the steps at this site, carefully. The steps start about halfway down the page.

Can’t Remove Onclickads ads? This page includes detailed ads by Onclickads Removal instructions! Are you seeing an excessive amount of pop-ups on your PC screen? Is your computer constantly flooded with irritating discounts, coupons, product deals, best prices, price comparisons, etc.? Do your browsers often crash and freeze due to the never-ending parade of commercials? ... Read more
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                              If it is onclickads, try the steps at this site, carefully. The steps start about halfway down the page.

http://www.virusresearch.org/remove-...me-firefox-ie/
                              So the Onclickads Removal Tool the above site recommends: Yes or No?

Comment

Working...
                              X