Clear All

• Happy Earth Day

Every decade we face a new crisis

60s: Overpopulation
    70s: Global cooling
    80s: Acid rain
    90s: Global warming
    00s: Climate change

But we continue to solve these crises with more government power and control over the economy. With your help - VOTE HILLARY and we will save the world, get rid of evil fossil fuels and also have "Common Sense" gun confiscations.

Retro Look at Earth DAY 1970 predictions

1. “Civilization Will End Within 15 or 30 Years.” - Harvard biologist Dr. George Wald

“100-200 Million People Per Year Will Be Starving to Death During the Next Ten Years.” - Stanford Professor Dr. Paul Ehrlich

“Population Will Inevitably and Completely Outstrip Whatever Small Increases in Food Supplies We Make.” - Stanford Professor Ehrlich

“Demographers Agree Almost Unanimously … Thirty Years From Now, the Entire World … Will Be in Famine.”

“In A Decade, Urban Dwellers Will Have to Wear Gas Masks to Survive Air Pollution.” - Life Magazine

“Childbearing [Will Be] A Punishable Crime Against Society, Unless the Parents Hold a Government License.” - Executive Director David Brower (Sierra Club)

“By the Year 2000 … There Won’t Be Any More Crude Oil.” - Ecologist Kenneth Watt

Never Trust The Doom-Mongers: Earth Day Predictions That Were All Wrong The Daily Caller, 22 April 2016 Andrew Follett Environmentalists truly believed and predicted that the planet was doomed duri…

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

But we continue to solve these crises with more government power and control over the economy. With your help - VOTE HILLARY and we will save the world, get rid of evil fossil fuels and also have "Common Sense" gun confiscations.

1. “Civilization Will End Within 15 or 30 Years.” - Harvard biologist Dr. George Wald

“100-200 Million People Per Year Will Be Starving to Death During the Next Ten Years.” - Stanford Professor Dr. Paul Ehrlich

“Population Will Inevitably and Completely Outstrip Whatever Small Increases in Food Supplies We Make.” - Stanford Professor Ehrlich

“Demographers Agree Almost Unanimously … Thirty Years From Now, the Entire World … Will Be in Famine.”

“In A Decade, Urban Dwellers Will Have to Wear Gas Masks to Survive Air Pollution.” - Life Magazine

“Childbearing [Will Be] A Punishable Crime Against Society, Unless the Parents Hold a Government License.” - Executive Director David Brower (Sierra Club)

“By the Year 2000 … There Won’t Be Any More Crude Oil.” - Ecologist Kenneth Watt

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/04/...spectacularly/
    This post is in bad taste. There's no harm caused from a day to celebrate the Earth and to remind people to reduce their impact on the environment. Even if the environmentalists are wrong, there's no harm in reducing your impact.

Also, I don't understand your list of new causes. Acid rain, global warming, and climate change are all interconnected. Further, government regulation regarding air pollutants has actually resolved a lot of the acid rain concern.

Comment

By my count the Earth is currently experiencing 4 of the 5. 2 of the 5 could lead to the one not being experienced at the moment. I'm guessing you didn't take much science in school?? or you read incorrect current literature, on the extensive list of sciences involved??

Cool post though??? not wanting to argue the moronic post. If trolling, shame on me.
      Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Earth Day? WTF is that?
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

2010's-2020's - Purple Rain

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            This post is in bad taste. There's no harm caused from a day to celebrate the Earth and to remind people to reduce their impact on the environment. Even if the environmentalists are wrong, there's no harm in reducing your impact.

Also, I don't understand your list of new causes. Acid rain, global warming, and climate change are all interconnected. Further, government regulation regarding air pollutants has actually resolved a lot of the acid rain concern.
            I absolutely agree that we should all strive to be good stewards of our planet and that Earth Day is a nice reminder. I believe the point of the post was that bad science is heavily publicized to push political agendas and that is not okay.

As to the "list", I think it's fair to say that no matter how much effort we put into environmentally friendly actions, some folks will always push their agenda. If one issue proves to be wrong (over population or global cooling) the same people will come up with a new reason to regulate people.

Earth Day is a politically motivated holiday for all the wrong reasons. It's fair to respond with a politically motivated dissenting opinion.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              2010's-2020's - Purple Rain

Nice touch.

(Considering the current event).

Comment

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Pagan

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    Earth Day? WTF is that?
                    It's when we celebrate, you know, dirt.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The Clean Air Act was one of the biggest public regulation wins in US history. Huge success.

To say that government regulation with environmental issues have been failures or bad ideas, well, you'd be wrong.

Also, the earth is warming. Anthropogenically caused or not, it's definitely warming.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

#5. is still occurring in China. And could be occurring in the US without the passage of the Clean Air Act.

I think a big thing to point out in regards to these that you listed is that human innovation, invention, and ideas helped make some of those issues not end up being true.
                        We're sitting on our hands in regards to a warming climate.
                        Last edited by wsushox1; April 23, 2016, 08:30 AM.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Pagan
                          Because I think Earth Day is an acceptable holiday? I assume you're a Christian. If you are, you should read the Bible. Stewardship of the Earth is in there. Living in excess and purposefully destroying the environment are very anti-Christian sentiments.

That said, I'm not going to call you pagan without knowing anything about you because that would be kind of ridiculous, right?

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I absolutely agree that we should all strive to be good stewards of our planet and that Earth Day is a nice reminder. I believe the point of the post was that bad science is heavily publicized to push political agendas and that is not okay.

As to the "list", I think it's fair to say that no matter how much effort we put into environmentally friendly actions, some folks will always push their agenda. If one issue proves to be wrong (over population or global cooling) the same people will come up with a new reason to regulate people.

Earth Day is a politically motivated holiday for all the wrong reasons. It's fair to respond with a politically motivated dissenting opinion.
                            But the science isn't bad, and it's intellectually dishonest to act like the topic has changed every decade. People have known about global warming for far longer than thirty years. My post was pointing out that even according to his own list, the science has been consistent since at least the 80's because those three issues are intimately tied.

Also, Earth Day is far less political than you're making it out to be. It was a response to an oil spill and was just a way to remind people of general environmental concerns. There's been no effort to control people with it.

I also think you're giving the original post too much credit when you defend it. Your response to me was well thought out. His response was just to call me a pagan...

Comment

My initial response to the global warming crisis was to start wearing more short sleeved shirts.

Comment

Working...
                              X