No announcement yet.

Wichita Eagle Opinion Line Gems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Venture is my first TC firearm but it will not be my last. It is just a very reliable and accurate gun. Plus, you get get features found in more expensive guns. To pay less than $500 and get adjustable triggers and sub 1" MOA is almost unheard of. I can use this 22-250 and outshoot guys that are using Weatherby Mark V's.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Plus, it seems to like every round we put through it. We just loaded 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips using 39.3 grain H-414. We are going out to the gun range next week to blow through some of these. If the Venture likes this load, I'm absolutely stumped. I've never had a gun that likes everything.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Need more gun ranges around Omaha like the free ones found in Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          Plus, it seems to like every round we put through it. We just loaded 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips using 39.3 grain H-414. We are going out to the gun range next week to blow through some of these. If the Venture likes this load, I'm absolutely stumped. I've never had a gun that likes everything.
          Well I can't say that's true of the Contender but we may have different expectations. Wolf is easily the best but CCI Mini Mags on the cheap end group very well with our barrel.

What brand of barrel are you using? Stock TC?

We use ours at IHMSA competitions, not to disintegrate rodents.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Well I can't say that's true of the Contender but we may have different expectations. Wolf is easily the best but CCI Mini Mags on the cheap end group very well with our barrel.

What brand of barrel are you using? Stock TC?

We use ours at IHMSA competitions, not to disintegrate rodents.

Stock barrel. Stock everything. Bought it from a dealer in Pennsylvania off of gun broker.com. I didn't want to spend a bunch on a varmint gun. I had read some good things about TC firearms, but had modest expectations. There are a group of about 12 of us that go out and shoot prairie dogs. My gun cost the least and shoots the best. Some of the guys have bought heavy barrels, longer barrels, custom triggers etc. My gun does great right out of the box. With the scope I have, I can hit really, really long shots consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Stock barrel. Stock everything. Bought it from a dealer in Pennsylvania off of gun broker.com. I didn't want to spend a bunch on a varmint gun. I had read some good things about TC firearms, but had modest expectations. There are a group of about 12 of us that go out and shoot prairie dogs. My gun cost the least and shoots the best. Some of the guys have bought heavy barrels, longer barrels, custom triggers etc. My gun does great right out of the box. With the scope I have, I can hit really, really long shots consistently.
              Stock TC barrels are excellent. The only reason I can think to swap one is to change calibre or for features. If your barrel sucks for some reason I think they will send it to the TC Custom Shop to fix it (don't quote me on that). The TC Custom Shop makes excellent competition barrels too if you ever decide to compete (total blast with different levels including a class for stock handguns so you don't have to spend money on competitive equipment to be competitive). Your scope with a shorter barrel and handgun grip would be a sweet setup.

Comment

John, I'll go prairie dog shooting with you. You had me at "red mist."
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                  John, I'll go prairie dog shooting with you. You had me at "red mist."
                  A more accurate term would be vaporize.

Comment

MJV and Kai in action!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

MJV and Kai in action II

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        MJV and Kai in action II

Umm, those guys are using the wrong ammo. They need to be using a polymer tip. They are probably shooting too low of a velocity, too. If the prairie dog doesn't "explode" you did it wrong. The right way is to find which ballistic tip works best with what powder. On a good day, you will blow through 200 rounds, its a game for reloaders who know what they are doing. I cant reload to save my life, but we have two guys that are experts. You cannot afford to do this at a buck a pull.Once again, those guys did it wrong, vaporize is the goal.

Comment

I am on vacation and was visiting with my brother who was an accomplished competitor with the TCs as a kid. The whole house was rolling when I told him about this thread and the red mist comment. Truly hilarious!

Comment

Here is a geeky way to learn the ballistics used in vaporizing prairie dogs vs. Just knocking them off the hill. The following video shows a v-max bullet penetrating a block of ballistics gel. A v-max bullet is one I have used, it has a polymer tip, has a muzzle velocity of a shade under 4,000 fps and literally disintegrates on contact. Watch the ballistics gel in slow motion and imagine the red mist this thing creates.

Comment

A lot of guys use 223's with cheap 223 ammo. You don't get the full effect that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I am on vacation and was visiting with my brother who was an accomplished competitor with the TCs as a kid. The whole house was rolling when I told him about this thread and the red mist comment. Truly hilarious!
                                So, have you or your brother tried prairie dog hunting?

Comment

Working...
                                X