Gridlock in Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    Actually, Obama took the keys from the Republicans, they were in the back, remember?

The Democrats, singlehandedly, enacted the legislation in question. They still don't know how to negotiate. Democrats don't know how to play nice in the sandbox and Republicans are using their ONLY means to get them to the table.
    Debt ceiling does not have a place at the table, Again this is Congress debt and it is their responsibility to pay for it. This is not a bargaining chip. If you rack up the bill and dont pay it your a bum or in this case our congress
    Last edited by kcshocker11; October 8, 2013, 07:59 PM.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
      Debt ceiling does not have a place at the table, Again this is Congress debt and it is their responsibility to pay for it. This is not a bargaining chip. If you rack up the bill and dont pay it your a bum or in this case our congress
      Didn't Obama, when he was a Senator, vote against raising the debt ceiling? Didn't the Democrats hold Bush hostage over the debt ceiling?

But when roles are reversed, I guess it's all different.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Didn't Obama, when he was a Senator, vote against raising the debt ceiling? Didn't the Democrats hold Bush hostage over the debt ceiling?

No its not different, both are and were wrong. For perspective though the Senate Dems could have filibustered which would have caused the Senate to need 60votes that they didnt have. They choose not to. The Dems decided our country was more important than their ideology Pay your bills.
        Last edited by kcshocker11; October 8, 2013, 08:42 PM.
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

@kcshocker11: thoughts?

Comment

nm

Comment

No its not different, both are and were wrong. For perspective though the Senate Dems could have filibustered which would have caused the Senate to need 60votes that they didnt have. They choose not to. The Dems decided our country was more important than their ideology Pay your bills.
              Actually, the Dems made W compromise. The Dems forced concessions. This is similar to the Dems holding Bush's dad hostage on his pledge not to raise taxes. Once Bush raised taxes and the Dems won, Clinton used the "Read my lips, no new taxes." as an election sound bite. Bush caved and his compromise was used against him.

Fast forward to now and I find it funny that dems are offended when the same tactics are used against them.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Debt ceiling does not have a place at the table,
                Sure it does, otherwise it would be automatic and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Sure it does, otherwise it would be automatic and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
                  That is far too clean and concise of an explanation.

Comment

I'll bet you ten bones you didn't say it was wrong when it was happening and defended it. But now that it's expedient to say it was wrong your tune has changed. I might even go 15 bones if the Shockernet search engine goes that far back.

I'm good for the ten bones if you take me up on it!

Comment

Anyone want in on a side bet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        No it doesnt, whether GOP or Dems it has no place at the table. Pay your bills.

Comment

No it doesnt, whether GOP or Dems it has no place at the table. Pay your bills.
                          So then, why doesnt the raising of the debt ceiling automatically occur?

Comment

Because of greedy corporations and banks and war mongering androids that blast out Fox News talking points over loud speakers, maaan. #OccupyAutoDebtCeilingUnlessRequiredToFundConserva tiveStuff

Comment

Pay your bills.
                              Who you kidding - the country can't pay their bills, only borrow and print more money. That is the whole point of this excersise.

Comment

It occurs because you spent that amount in the previous fiscal year. If you want less spend less and no increase in debt ceiling will occur the next fiscal year. Pay your bills that you have already accrued. Again when Dems do it its wrong, when GOP does it its wrong

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/04/absolutely-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-debt-ceiling/

Good question! Back when the debt ceiling was first adopted in 1917, it was arguably a useful device for Congress to prevent the president from spending however much he wanted. But since 1974, Congress has created a formal budget process to control spending levels.As such, many observers don't see why there's a need for Congress to separately authorize borrowing for spending that Congress has already approved — especially when a failure to lift the debt ceiling would be so devastating. Indeed, between 1979 and 1995, the House simply lifted the debt ceiling automatically as soon as it approved a budget (a process known as the "Gephardt rule").It's also worth noting that most modern democracies seem to do just finewithout explicit borrowing limits, including Britain, Canada, Germany, Japan, Australia, and France. (The one other exception is Denmark, but its debt ceiling always gets raised without incident.)For what it's worth, here's a long list of experts who think the United States should just abolish its debt ceiling altogether. In a January survey of academic economists by the University of Chicago, 84 percent agreed that having a debt ceiling "creates unneeded uncertainty and can potentially lead to worse financial outcomes.” But no one listened to them, so here we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X