Supreme Court finds DOMA unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
    Their goal is to take tax-exempt status away from churches. The argument will be: "We respect your beliefs and your religious freedom. But, if you will not obey the law of the land and continue to discriminate, you will forfeit your "community benefit" and tax exempt status."

Look at how this administration is structuring the IRS for enforcing their political goals.
    I understand that. However, when it comes down to it, I just don't think it'll be implemented or held up in court which is where it would go. Churches are already allowed to "discriminate" based on their rules and beliefs. Certain people aren't allowed in certain positions and that may vary between religions and denominations within them.

And how much do you want to bet that if this does go down, the Muslim faith will be excluded from it?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
        There is 0% chance the Supreme Court does this. I understand you are afraid of it, but you have no reason to be.
        I'm not saying the Supreme Court will do this, nor am I afraid of it.

The Christian church has shown to flourish under persecution. Paul was a tent-maker so that he didn't require financial help from anyone.

I'm saying this is the agenda of the left.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

You are talking about the existing court.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I firmly believe the way it will eventually (5, 10, 15 years, who knows) go down is a SCOTUS ruling that no tax-exempt organization will be allowed to discriminate for any reason. And it will make a lot of sense. No one is forcing religious institutions to be tax-exempt.

The answer will be for churches to either start paying taxes or break up and go back to small "house churches" like the early church. Then the concern about being told what they can and can't preach or being forced to perform same-sex marriages goes away; at least until we turn into Canada. It will eventually happen unless we see a wide and lasting swing to the right. If we're lucky, the First Amendment may survive another 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
                Interested to know if churches will be forced to perform gay marriages or face losing their tax status
                My initial response would be violation of church and state and unconstitutional. But then I'm reminded with an activist Judiciary anything is possible.

I also think Royal hit it on the head on what is likely to happen.

Comment

It may be the agenda of a small portion of the left.

It is a leap to say that the IRS cronyism involving approval of right wing 501(c)(3)s translates to a broad presidential conspiracy to immediately take away tax-exempt status from churches. It would be akin to saying that a Republican administration who cracks down on ACORN wants to reimpose poll taxes because they obviously have it in for poor minorities. Both are wrong.
                  I'm sure it is a small portion of the electorate but I assure you it is the majority opinion of the ruling class.

And as far as the similarities to ACORN, I'm sure I can find you 10 to 1 quotes from leftists claiming the Christian organizations should lose their tax-exempt status than finding quotes about groups like ACORN being a systemic problem among poor minorities.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

I think you can make a strong argument that income-producing properties owned by a church should be taxed.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        I think you can make a strong argument that income-producing properties owned by a church should be taxed.
                        Define income producing properties. Rental property and other church owned revenue producing properties already do pay taxes. Our church owns some real estate that is revenue producing. We do pay both income taxes (state and federal) and state property tax. Churches are supposed to operate this way, I know not all do, but ours does. If you believe weekly offerings should be taxed, well I have a problem with much of that.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Please assure me then. I would like to see specific statements from a majority of democratic senators or congressmen showing support for this.
                          I'm really not trying to split hairs, but re-read what I wrote. I'm talking about leftists and those in positions of power and influence, not just elected Democrats.
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

There is 0% chance the Supreme Court does this. I understand you are afraid of it, but you have no reason to be.
                              it wouldn't be the supreme court doing this - it would be by presidential decree and/or the IRS.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X