No announcement yet.

Sandy Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is going to sound harsh, but it's how I feel.

There is so much wealth concentrated in that area, there is no reason why, if New Yawkahs are half as great as they say they are, they can't take care of their own. They didn't even call off or postpone a sporting event. That tells me where people's priorities are, and don't give me that "we're trying to maintain a sense of normalcy" malarky (hat-tip to VP Biden).

They've experienced a disaster and they need to respond accordingly. That means race organizers screw their precious marathon and return the generators so they're available. That means you don't turn away utility crews becuase they aren't carrying union cards. That means you don't setup police checkpoints to see if there are fewer than three passengers in every car (I admit, there are probably pros and cons to that argument).

I'm sure there are good and deserving people there who have legitimate, immediate needs. And I'm sure there are areas of the relief efforts being done the right way. But for now, I'll consider my federal income taxes - redistributed as disaster relief and welfare - contribution enough. If there were people there I was personally connected with or if I lived nearby and considered the area my home, I would surely consider giving more or volunteering my time. That said, I don't begrudge anyone for helping out. That's a personal decision and deserves respect.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I know this is going to sound harsh, but it's how I feel.

There is so much wealth concentrated in that area, there is no reason why, if New Yawkahs are half as great as they say they are, they can't take care of their own. They didn't even call off or postpone a sporting event. That tells me where people's priorities are, and don't give me that "we're trying to maintain a sense of normalcy" malarky (hat-tip to VP Biden).

They've experienced a disaster and they need to respond accordingly. That means race organizers screw their precious marathon and return the generators so they're available. That means you don't turn away utility crews becuase they aren't carrying union cards. That means you don't setup police checkpoints to see if there are fewer than three passengers in every car (I admit, there are probably pros and cons to that argument).

I'm sure there are good and deserving people there who have legitimate, immediate needs. And I'm sure there are areas of the relief efforts being done the right way. But for now, I'll consider my federal income taxes - redistributed as disaster relief and welfare - contribution enough. If there were people there I was personally connected with or if I lived nearby and considered the area my home, I would surely consider giving more or volunteering my time. That said, I don't begrudge anyone for helping out. That's a personal decision and deserves respect.

I can understand that point of view. And I'm quite sure I pay at least my fair share of income taxes, but I just can't bring myself not to try and do a little bit extra when people are in such need. Not that the Northeast is my favorite part of the country.

Comment

By the way, as long as we are on it, does anyone want to talk about the entire Flood Insurance thing being a total scam, much like every other federal program?

Comment

Wow, just wow!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

They finally cancelled the marathon. The cynic in me thinks someone with influence must have realized the negative political consequences of letting it go on.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              They finally cancelled the marathon. The cynic in me thinks someone with influence must have realized the negative political consequences of letting it go on.
              The fact, that they even tried to procede with the marathon in the 1st place makes you wonder about the common sense of thow powers that be.

Comment

I hear KU is checking to see if Gov Christie knows anything about football.
                For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                - said no one ever...

Comment

Working...
                X