I will vote for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    I think that the abortion issue is about right. I think more people believed that the right would ban it entirely if it passed, as opposed to putting in common sense restrictions if it didn't. So a lot of people aren't for a 100% ban. But I may be missing the point of it entirely.
    This is accurate, and you've seen some of that on this board.

The amendment was open ended in just how far it would allow elected officials to go. I'm generally pretty skeptical of most people in power and I can understand people being concerned about them going to far, which the amendment would allow for.

I would say most people who oppose abortion don't want a total ban. Most I believe would make exceptions for the health/life of the mother. I also believe most would make exceptions for rape. Those would also be considered reasonable exceptions to most people. Would the KS representatives stop there? Tough question. But if we were voting for those exceptions and not an open ended amendment, the results might have been different.

I remember hearing something shortly after Roe was overturned, that the states that already had laws on the books, or laws that were activated when the ruling came down, that all of them had exceptions for if the mothers life were in jeopardy. And nearly all of them had exceptions for rape/incest. So even in some of the deepest red states, total bans aren't in place or being sought. And Kansas is far from a deep red state and has been for some time.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I would assume that most, if not all of those, are people like myself who aren't registered as a Dem or Rep. My ballot only had one thing to vote for yesterday and that was the amendment.

There are over 22K registered Libertarians in the state. Over 560K unaffiliated. I'm not sure if the unaffiliated can vote in part primaries in KS or not. My personal opinion is that they shouldn't, as primaries are party votes.

There are just under 2M registered voters in KS. A little higher than I would have guessed.
      Good info, Thanks

That means about 30% of the unaffiliated voted on the single issue which accounts for the 165,000 or so votes and they came out strong for no.

Comment

I was also just looking at some statistics from KSOS, and there are only two counties in Kansas with more registered D's than R's. Douglas and Wyandotte.

Kansas does have a good number of unaffiliated. The unaffiliated outnumber Dems in all but three counties, and outnumber Reps in two. That's where elections, in general, swing.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          If you're needing a break from the serious, may I present the GOP (sort of) opposition to Sen. Moran in Kansas.

You may or may not remember her from several other failed runs at various offices, but her website is a hoot.

And by hoot, I mean bat **** crazy. She is on the ballot both in Kansas and Oklahoma. Both states for United States Senator as she has a residence in both states, and I quote, "to hopefully get into office in at least one of them!".

Good stuff.

JoanFarr.com

A little over 90k votes. Should we be scared that nearly 20% of Republicans voted for this loon?
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This was just a weird vote. I feel like all the uncertainty of what a "YES" vote meant caused a lot of concern for most people.

I've heard as much from some of you on here. The language voters were given was also terrible imo.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

It would lose.
              No it wouldn’t.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

A little over 90k votes. Should we be scared that nearly 20% of Republicans voted for this loon?
                Probably not a coincidence but by calculations around 90k repubs voted yes as well.

Comment

Abortion is just a wierd issue and should be set aside as a single issue. I don't think you can extrapolate it to anything else. There are lots of pro choice GOP people. There are not a lot of pro life Dems.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    Abortion is just a wierd issue and should be set aside as a single issue. I don't think you can extrapolate it to anything else. There are lots of pro choice GOP people. There are not a lot of pro life Dems.
                    You hit the nail on the head there, although if you are a practicing Catholic and a Democrat, it seems you are in a dilemma.

Comment

That is suspicious to me. Not the amount of votes but that 20% of Republicans actually think their party would be better off with this loose screw in DC.

Comment

There sure was a lot of money raised to convince voters what to do with the abortion vote - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/out...statewide-vote

Recent financial reports filed by Kansans for Constitutional Freedom (KCF), a group that bills itself as a "bipartisan coalition of reproductive rights advocates and allied organizations," revealed that a majority of the donations it has received in its fight to defeat the amendment came from individuals and groups located outside of Kansas.

Filed with the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission last week, KCF's financial report showed that about 71% of the $6.54 million in contributions it has received were from out-of-state entities. An estimated 29% of the contributions it received were from residents or groups in Kansas.
                        Large contributions received by KCF include $1.38 million from Sixteen Thirty Fund, a powerful left wing dark money group, and $850,000 from Planned Parenthood Action Fund. Planned Parenthood Great Plains Votes, an advocacy arm for Kansas' Planned Parenthood Great Plains, also donated more than $490,000.

Value Them Both (VTB), a coalition in direct opposition to KCF that is urging Kansans to vote yes on the amendment, also filed a financial report last week with the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission. According to that report, a majority of the contributions VTB received were from Kansas residents and entities.

Of the $4.66 million contributed to VTB, the report revealed that less than 1% of the donations the group received were from out-of-state contributors.

Notably, VTB received at least one contribution totaling more than $1 million from a sole entity. Other significant contributions received by VTB stemmed from religious groups, mostly Catholic organizations in the state. The Archdiocese of Kansas City contributed $2.1 million, while the Catholic Diocese of Wichita gave $300,000.
                        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

I think KS must have a decent number of fringe-right voters. I wonder how many of those 90k didn't know much about about her, but were rather voting against Moran, since senators seem to be more moderate, and those for whom term limits is a major issue may always vote against the their party's incumbent.

I don't know if it's cause for concern, but at a minimum it's not a good look for them being informed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                            There sure was a lot of money raised to convince voters what to do with the abortion vote - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/out...statewide-vote

One thing that needs seriously cleaned up is the ability for individuals and groups outside a state to influence it's elections via financial donations. Am I the only one who sees an issue with this?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

One thing that needs seriously cleaned up is the ability for individuals and groups outside a state to influence it's elections via financial donations. Am I the only one who sees an issue with this?
                              The reason it’s allowed is because businesses that operate in Kansas have a voice in the law. For instance, it was very much in PLanned Parenthood’s interest to maintain as many abortions as possible. PP is not headquartered in Kansas however.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I think KS must have a decent number of fringe-right voters. I wonder how many of those 90k didn't know much about about her, but were rather voting against Moran, since senators seem to be more moderate, and those for whom term limits is a major issue may always vote against the their party's incumbent.

I don't know if it's cause for concern, but at a minimum it's not a good look for them being informed.
                                I would guess this is where the majority came from.

Comment

Working...
                                X