Evergy Announces Emergency Rolling Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evergy Announces Emergency Rolling Blackouts

Evergy says power for around 60,000 of its customers has been restored after the utility announced controlled shutoffs to help avoid uncontrolled outages.

Beginning on February 15 at 12:15 p.m., Evergy will begin to turn off electricity to blocks of customers for approximately 30 – 60 minutes. Once the period has concluded, power will be restored to the impacted area. The emergency outages will then rotate to another portion of Evergy’s service area. Power will cycle off and on periodically until the reduction is no longer required by the SPP. With these extreme cold temperatures, equipment may not operate as intended. As a result, outages could last longer than 30 - 60 minutes.

What in the freak!? Uhhh, this is a class action lawsuit disaster waiting to happen.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Is the power grid that maxed out that they can’t handle a couple days of extreme cold?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Oh crap, I'll have to reset the blinking microwave, stove and coffee pot clocks once again. I sometimes 'moan and groan' when I receive my Evergy and Kansas Gas Service bills, but I'm very thankful to have reliable utility service during these times... unfortunately, there are times I take it for granted. During an ice storm many moons ago, we lost power for 24 hours; the Mrs. and I nearly froze to death.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Is the power grid that maxed out that they can’t handle a couple days of extreme cold?
          Can't even get on their site to find out about it. Update: got on.

Comment

So when the electricity does come back on, everybody’s furnaces will run for 2 hours to catch up. Makes sense.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Oh crap, I'll have to reset the blinking microwave, stove and coffee pot clocks once again. I sometimes 'moan and groan' when I receive my Evergy and Kansas Gas Service bills, but I'm very thankful to have reliable utility service during these times... unfortunately, there are times I take it for granted. During an ice storm many moons ago, we lost power for 24 hours; the Mrs. and I nearly froze to death.
              We had a week without sometime around 05.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This is a nationwide problem. Also, one of the main culprits is the wind turbines, they are freezing up.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  This is a nationwide problem. Also, one of the main culprits is the wind turbines, they are freezing up.
                  The clean energy is having problems? How are those solar panels holding up?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Wind turbines in Texas froze up totally causing a nasty outage.

Comment

Quick! Everybody crank their temps to 80 to get out ahead of the blackout!

Comment

I think wind and solar (and hydroelectric) are great baseline sources of energy, but they don’t provide enough energy. Oil, gas, and coal are fantastic for surge energy. Need nuclear to capture the difference between the low baseline and the surge.

Alternatively, just nuclear.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Today rolling blackout has occurred already today. Lasted for 1.5 hours, effected about 30,000 people. Southwest Power Poll (spp.org) has now pulled back from Level 3 to Level 2. But they are thinking that overnight and tomorrow morning additional blackout may be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            Today rolling blackout has occurred already today. Lasted for 1.5 hours, effected about 30,000 people. Southwest Power Poll (spp.org) has now pulled back from Level 3 to Level 2. But they are thinking that overnight and tomorrow morning additional blackout may be necessary.
                            When everybody’s lights are off except the heat? That makes little sense.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

When everybody’s lights are off except the heat? That makes little sense.
                              Overnight, they have to charge the massive bank of used car batteries they have squabbled together to provide us electrical power.

Comment

Working...
                              X