How Thick Is Your Bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Thick Is Your Bubble?

This based on Charles Murry’s current book, and you should always read anything Murry writes:

The book highlights the lifestyles between the top and bottom of Americans. Try this quiz to know how thick is your bubble quiz. This quiz is inspired by American Enterprise Institute scholar Charles Murray's new book, "Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010." What do you know about the book and the author? Start the quiz and see how many questions you answer correctly. All the best for a perfect score on this quiz.

I scored a 9-12 (9); my two friends (both born in Wichita) one now in KC the other in Portland, OR, and my wife (born and bred in New Jersey) scored a 5.

Interesting. I had an 11. Not sure if I wanted that score higher or lower. I will add Mr. Murry to my list of people to read. Thanks Maggie!

Comment

Thanks Maggie! Interesting...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Interesting. I had an 11. Not sure if I wanted that score higher or lower. I will add Mr. Murry to my list of people to read. Thanks Maggie!
        I think a "problem" I had is the fact I don't eat at chain restaurants, though I kind of want those wings from Outback. And the hunting and fishing question - I have no one to go with anymore.

Comment

I got a certificate saying '12'

and then...

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 13 and 16.
          How stupid is that, eh?

I had do to a little substitution work though... we don't have a TGIFridays, etc... but there is a local equivalent.

What was the point of this?
          I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Originally posted by Wu du Nord View Post

and then...

How stupid is that, eh?

I had do to a little substitution work though... we don't have a TGIFridays, etc... but there is a local equivalent.

"This quiz is inspired by American Enterprise Institute scholar Charles Murray's new book, "Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010," which explores the unprecedented, class-based cultural gap in America. How culturally isolated are you? Answer these 20 questions to find out."
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              "This quiz is inspired by American Enterprise Institute scholar Charles Murray's new book, "Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010," which explores the unprecedented, class-based cultural gap in America. How culturally isolated are you? Answer these 20 questions to find out."
              Ok, now I've even watched the YouTube clip, and I still don't get it. Is it supposed to be a satire?
              I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

I had a 13 and I am like the good Dr, have no clue where I want to be.
                An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Ok, now I've even watched the YouTube clip, and I still don't get it. Is it supposed to be a satire?
                  That is sad - your bubble is extra thick (just being cheeky, sort of) - if you have an issue read the book and I would be happy to discuss it with you. Did you think this poll was designed to be included in a research paper?

P.S. I don't have chain resturants either - well I could walk to them. So what? I answered "no" - even though I wanted those wings from Outback - but I can't walk to those.
                  ""

Comment

15 here
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                      That is sad - your bubble is extra thick (just being cheeky, sort of) - if you have an issue read the book and I would be happy to discuss it with you. Did you think this poll was designed to be included in a research paper?

P.S. I don't have chain resturants either - well I could walk to them. So what? I answered "no" - even though I wanted those wings from Outback - but I can't walk to those.
                      ""
                      So you would agree with his claim in the video, "It used to be that America meant something to all Americans. That kind of common understanding about who we are and what we stand for is dissolving."

I simply cannot take anything based on that absurd premise seriously.

Comment

So you would agree with his claim in the video, "It used to be that America meant something to all Americans. That kind of common understanding about who we are and what we stand for is dissolving."

I simply cannot take anything based on that absurd premise seriously.
                        If you what is fair know this: I didn't watch the video and don't care; get back to me when you have the book. And then read it.

Comment

and then...

How stupid is that, eh?

Funny I got the exact same thing. 12 on the cert, and then the 13-16 phrase at the bottom.

All the fraternity fellas get to say "yup" to this one: Have you ever lived for at least a year as an adult in an American neighborhood in which the majority of your nearest 50 neighbors probably did not have college degrees?
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Funny I got the exact same thing. 12 on the cert, and then the 13-16 phrase at the bottom.

All the fraternity fellas get to say "yup" to this one: Have you ever lived for at least a year as an adult in an American neighborhood in which the majority of your nearest 50 neighbors probably did not have college degrees?
                            Read the book. but before that read "Losing Ground" - same author. He does good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                              Read the book. but before that read "Losing Ground" - same author. He does good work.
                              Too late! I am going to read Ameritopia which just came in from Amazon this week.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X