Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Koch Says His Partisanship Was a Mistake

Tweet from https://twitter.com/garyrosenWSJ/sta...97893926055937

Article is at https://www.wsj.com/articles/charles...ke-11605286893 but requires a paid subscription to WSJ. I don't have one so I'm not sure what is covered in the full article.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
    Tweet from https://twitter.com/garyrosenWSJ/sta...97893926055937

Article is at https://www.wsj.com/articles/charles...ke-11605286893 but requires a paid subscription to WSJ. I don't have one so I'm not sure what is covered in the full article.
    It takes a smart man to admit your mistakes and limitations.

That's why he's been so successful.

And I know someone will correct me if I'm misstating, but from what I remember, he wasn't quite on the Trump train as much as he was all-in for John McCain and Mitt Romney.

I appreciate you sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

It takes a smart man to admit your mistakes and limitations.

That's why he's been so successful.
      Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

Proverbs 9:8-10

Comment

"Billionaire sees political winds shifting and wants to be part of the winning team."

I respect the heck out of him for what he's done in the business world, but this strikes me as very different than the supposed principled ideals he stood for.

EDIT: And look at the replies to that tweet. Not exactly accepting, are they?
        Last edited by Kel Varnsen; November 13, 2020, 02:16 PM.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Is this him putting the Biden sign out in front of his yard to ward off the mob?
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            "Billionaire sees political winds shifting and wants to be part of the winning team."

I respect the heck out of him for what he's done in the business world, but this strikes me as very different than the supposed principled ideals he stood for.

EDIT: And look at the replies to that tweet. Not exactly accepting, are they?
            Read the article and then the book. I do not interpret his comments as anything like that. I think he is frustrated with with so much time and energy spent, things haven't changed that much. The Koch network has been working on bipartisan issue for a long time - criminal justice reform, regulations that impact small businesses and start-up because large companies don't want the competition and occupational licensing reform among others.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I appreciate you sharing this.
              You're welcome. I was doing a search on twitter on 'Gregg Marshall' and it popped up because someone had replied to the WSJ tweet and mentioned Marshall in the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Read the article and then the book. I do not interpret his comments as anything like that. I think he is frustrated with with so much time and energy spent, things haven't changed that much. The Koch network has been working on bipartisan issue for a long time - criminal justice reform, regulations that impact small businesses and start-up because large companies don't want the competition and occupational licensing reform among others.
                I gotcha. I’m a little bit cynical with the way things have gone the past nine months (particularly with people I thought shared my political and/or religious beliefs), so you might have to cut me some slack there, haha.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The Wichita Eagle has an article about Koch talking to WSJ - Kansas billionaire Charles Koch tells WSJ he regrets causing political division - https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...247172191.html

I haven't read the WSJ article, so some of the stuff in the Eagle may just be a repeat for those who have read it. Here's an example of something that sounded like it was in the WSJ one:

"Regardless, his spending habits didn’t appear to change much this year. The Wall Street Journal, citing Center for Responsive Politics data, said Koch’s PAC donated $2.8 million to Republican candidates compared to $221,000 for Democrats during the 2020 election cycle."

Comment

Why is donating to 1 of the 2 political parties 'divisive'?

By that logic, every political donation is 'divisive'. But it only gets classified as such when it goes to 1 political party.

I guess I am free to tell my neighbor that donated to Biden's campagn, he is contributing to political division?
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I think the most telling quote is "Because of partisanship we've come to expect too much of politics and too little of ourselves and one another." I believe partisan politics have gone a long way to divide us as a people by accusing the other side for our lot in life rather than looking to ourselves to make our lives better. It's easier to blame someone else about our lot in life than to accept at least some of the responsiblity of where we are.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        I think the most telling quote is "Because of partisanship we've come to expect too much of politics and too little of ourselves and one another." I believe partisan politics have gone a long way to divide us as a people by accusing the other side for our lot in life rather than looking to ourselves to make our lives better. It's easier to blame someone else about our lot in life than to accept at least some of the responsiblity of where we are.
                        Spoken like a true libertarian. Well done sir.

Comment

Working...
                        X