X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Institutional Racism

Does it exist?

https://thehill.com/homenews/coronav...portionate?amp

Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said Tuesday that he thinks institutional racism has played a role in the disproportionate impact the coronavirus outbreak has had on the Black community in the U.S.

"Obviously the African American community has suffered from racism for a very, very long period of time and I cannot imagine that that has not contributed to the conditions that they find themselves in economically and otherwise," Fauci said while testifying before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
    What the **** is Dr. Fauci talking about here?

Please somebody enlighten me on Institutional Racism.

Affirmative action was introduced through the Employment Equality Act, 55 in 1998, 4 years after the end of apartheid. This act was passed to promote the constitutional right of equality and exercise true democracy.
    22 years of getting a free pass to the front of the line in anything and everything regardless of qualifications. Will another 22 years of the same policies finally erase Institutional Racism?

Help me out please.

T

Systemic racism is a symbolic term. Racism exists in two possible places: It exists in the individual or it exists in the institution.

Institutional racism is policy based. Red-lining, Jim Crow, etc. It is illegal in every form in the US with the exception of college admissions.

Individual racism is different. It is personal beliefs that lead to treating someone unfairly based on their color. These beliefs exist, but they are legal as long as the financial and physical treatment doesn’t differ.

Systemic racism is the idea that symbols and history are racist. How is that even possible? Certainly historic institutional and individual racism lead to bad outcomes that still have some impact, but there is no policy that can fix that. By fighting systemic/symbolic racism, people are rallying against a ghost in the machine. It’s a control tactic.
    Livin the dream

Comment

For Affirmative Action remember that quotas are currently illegal (though there is a push to change that). AA means that you heavily recruit underrepresented groups, then you make a hire based on merit. If merit is equal, then you have to hire the minority. It is a very slight advantage for the underrepresnted, but more importantly, it does stop institutional racism.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        Does it exist?

https://thehill.com/homenews/coronav...portionate?amp

What the **** is Dr. Fauci talking about here?

Please somebody enlighten me on Institutional Racism.

22 years of getting a free pass to the front of the line in anything and everything regardless of qualifications. Will another 22 years of the same policies finally erase Institutional Racism?

Help me out please.

T

He's a card carrying #resister, in case nobody knew that...

No one can possibly be surprised he said something as ignorant as that, could they?

Why would anyone believe just about a-n-y-t-h-in-g this man says is beyond me? Go back to February and read his statements.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          For Affirmative Action remember that quotas are currently illegal (though there is a push to change that). AA means that you heavily recruit underrepresented groups, then you make a hire based on merit. If merit is equal, then you have to hire the minority. It is a very slight advantage for the underrepresnted, but more importantly, it does stop institutional racism.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirm...nd%20women.%22

In the United States, affirmative action included the use of racial quotas until the Supreme Court questioned their constitutionality and mandated more indirect use of race.[10] Affirmative action currently tends to emphasize not specific quotas but rather "targeted goals" to address past discrimination in a particular institution or in broader society through "good-faith efforts ... to identify, select, and train potentially qualified minorities and women."
          I'm fairly certain that quotas exist, particularly in companies with government contracts - of which there are many; e.g., Spirit Aerosystems.

T

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirm...nd%20women.%22

I'm fairly certain that quotas exist, particularly in companies with government contracts - of which there are many; e.g., Spirit Aerosystems.

T

Actual quotas are illegal. Targeted goals are not. It’s still a merit based hiring system. Semantics maybe.
            Livin the dream

Comment

https://cei.org/blog/labor-departmen...eral-contracts

As the Cato Institute's Walter Olson notes, the rules impose quotas in all but name; the director of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
              insists the initiative should not be described as quotas, since contractors falling short will not suffer automatic penalty. Instead, they’ll be thrown into a process of auditing and having their internal procedures put under review and having to demonstrate progress and that sort of thing. Nothing penalty-like about that! Also, if their willingness to go along with this process doesn’t please the federal overseers, they can eventually be debarred from any future contract work, a devastating economic sanction for many firms. Crucially, the feds are applying the regulation to firms’ entire workforce even if only a single divisions has federal contracts, so that if, say, a food company has one line of business that caters to the military, and nineteen others that do no federal contracting whatsoever, all twenty lines must adopt the quot… sorry, benchmarks.

Spirit/Boeing has aggressively aimed for their diversity "targets" over the years, as being a government contractor, they were vulnerable to continual "diversity reviews" and the "non-punitive" consequences that followed.

T

Comment

Try telling Asian Americans that quotas are illegal

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                  Try telling Asian Americans that quotas are illegal
                  Asian Americans suffer from discrimination when applying to elite schools. That was upheld by the Supreme Court as legal.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

FiveThirtyEight weighs in

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-in-policing/
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

FiveThirtyEight assumes that police are interacting with black people because they want to. If that is the case, then yes, this would be a collider bias.

NYC and other major cities strategically disperse their personnel based on reports of crime. If 10% of the crime occurs in area x then area x gets 10% of the police force to patrol that area. One way to check to ensure this isn’t a bias is to see what the percentage of complaints are against a particular race and see what the arrest rate is for that race. Turns out they are statistically the same across all studies.

No one refutes these facts, however the left will usually state that the studies themselves are racist. In order to get to a bias in police overall, you have to start with the premise that the police are biased, then you can claim that this racism results in all of these problems.

Collider bias has already been addressed in numerous studies. Too bad FiveThirtyEight didn’t look at that data.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

I'm going to update my "stated beliefs" on the whole Institutional Racism thing now that I've had a chance to reflect a bit more and read the posts of others.

I stand by my comments earlier that much has been done to level the playing field for African American's in the workforce and higher learning centers. Non-racist folk like myself get annoyed when we are accused of being "part of the problem" when so many racially targeted opportunities exist. I don't know if this is the case any longer, but in the past, the United Negro College Fund had loads of wasted scholarships each and every year. That is a clear cut example of how throwing money at a social problem rarely works.

But... my point in commenting further is to come totally clean on the issue. Most of us in the Midwest have a relative, maybe even a parent, that cracks the racist jokes or continually rants about blacks and their "problems". In fact, you can hear echoes of it on this board. The reality is, America is full of 60+ year old white males who are racist. That age demographic just happens to also align with where most of the power in America is held also. These racists HATE black people and will waste no time telling you so if you spend more than 5 mins talking informally with them. Since these folks are "hidden" across the entire spectrum of American industry and produce an invisible barrier most black folks have to overcome, it could be defined as a systemic issue.

The real question that should be asked is, what to do about it. The answer is there isn't anything you can do about it other than maintaining some checks and balances to ensure equal opportunity, non-confrontational education, and generational turnover (this will have the largest impact). Racism will never totally go away, but it will diminish greatly as blacks continue to move more and more into the middle class and the old racist stalwarts die off. Attempting to force the issue is going to do little more than bring on the "whitelash" that was coined by the CNN Libtard after Trump got elected.

An interesting side-note that I mentioned on here before is the "XXXism" exhibited by Africans towards African-Americans. I don't know if there is a term coined for the issue, but a lot of their comments mirror those of racist whites. It's really crazy to watch. I dated a gal from the Caribbean (technically African) long ago who would just rip on African-Americans non-stop. It was fascinating. My relationship with her also gave me incredible perspective on the issue of blackness in America. Her hatred stemmed from the fact that she was judged AS an African-American (a ghetto low-life in her opinion) when she was highly educated, well-financed, and hailed from a family that had not-insignificant influence in the British government (a lot of Caribbean territories are British). So you see, everybody finds a reason to hate everybody if given enough time to think about it. That being said, she did make a strong argument, and who's going to call HER racist lol?

P.S. Never underestimate the power of the African race. They are as talented intellectually as they are physically. I remember one Econ class I had at WSU where I was in direct competition with an African student for the highest score. He was a machine. For some reason the instructor would post all the test scores and keep a running total then mock all the students who were going to flunk on the board (anonymously via statistics). He and I basically tied somewhere above the 100% mark (extra-credit test questions or something). I busted my ass! And he wasn't going to fade. I talked with him in the library once. Broken english etc. I had all the advantages. He came over to win. God I love African immigrants! I'm going a little long here... but whenever I come across a hardcore racist and have time to talk seriously, I usually bring up my "John Henry" story with the African Econ Machine. Nearly every time I've told the story the remark was, "Bullshit!".

Comment

I'm going to update my "stated beliefs" on the whole Institutional Racism thing now that I've had a chance to reflect a bit more and read the posts of others.

I stand by my comments earlier that much has been done to level the playing field for African American's in the workforce and higher learning centers. Non-racist folk like myself get annoyed when we are accused of being "part of the problem" when so many racially targeted opportunities exist. I don't know if this is the case any longer, but in the past, the United Negro College Fund had loads of wasted scholarships each and every year. That is a clear cut example of how throwing money at a social problem rarely works.

But... my point in commenting further is to come totally clean on the issue. Most of us in the Midwest have a relative, maybe even a parent, that cracks the racist jokes or continually rants about blacks and their "problems". In fact, you can hear echoes of it on this board. The reality is, America is full of 60+ year old white males who are racist. That age demographic just happens to also align with where most of the power in America is held also. These racists HATE black people and will waste no time telling you so if you spend more than 5 mins talking informally with them. Since these folks are "hidden" across the entire spectrum of American industry and produce an invisible barrier most black folks have to overcome, it could be defined as a systemic issue.

The real question that should be asked is, what to do about it. The answer is there isn't anything you can do about it other than maintaining some checks and balances to ensure equal opportunity, non-confrontational education, and generational turnover (this will have the largest impact). Racism will never totally go away, but it will diminish greatly as blacks continue to move more and more into the middle class and the old racist stalwarts die off. Attempting to force the issue is going to do little more than bring on the "whitelash" that was coined by the CNN Libtard after Trump got elected.

An interesting side-note that I mentioned on here before is the "XXXism" exhibited by Africans towards African-Americans. I don't know if there is a term coined for the issue, but a lot of their comments mirror those of racist whites. It's really crazy to watch. I dated a gal from the Caribbean (technically African) long ago who would just rip on African-Americans non-stop. It was fascinating. My relationship with her also gave me incredible perspective on the issue of blackness in America. Her hatred stemmed from the fact that she was judged AS an African-American (a ghetto low-life in her opinion) when she was highly educated, well-financed, and hailed from a family that had not-insignificant influence in the British government (a lot of Caribbean territories are British). So you see, everybody finds a reason to hate everybody if given enough time to think about it. That being said, she did make a strong argument, and who's going to call HER racist lol?

P.S. Never underestimate the power of the African race. They are as talented intellectually as they are physically. I remember one Econ class I had at WSU where I was in direct competition with an African student for the highest score. He was a machine. For some reason the instructor would post all the test scores and keep a running total then mock all the students who were going to flunk on the board (anonymously via statistics). He and I basically tied somewhere above the 100% mark (extra-credit test questions or something). I busted my ass! And he wasn't going to fade. I talked with him in the library once. Broken english etc. I had all the advantages. He came over to win. God I love African immigrants! I'm going a little long here... but whenever I come across a hardcore racist and have time to talk seriously, I usually bring up my "John Henry" story with the African Econ Machine. Nearly every time I've told the story the remark was, "Bullshit!".
                          OMG
                          Livin the dream

Comment

So..........hating low-life gangbangers from the ghetto isn't racist? I never thought so anyway

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              So..........hating low-life gangbangers from the ghetto isn't racist? I never thought so anyway
                              Yeah, she didn't delineate. She hated hip-hop, "the way they talk", the accessories they added to their cars, the ghetto, the poverty, the fingernails, etc. etc. etc. She was one of the most "racist" sounding people I've ever met. It was fascinating to watch. She was no "high-yellow" gal either. 100% legit black girl. But tons of "class". Sexy accent too!

There's been quite a bit of effort over the years at Wichita State to mend the fences of the African and Afro-American community.

Race relations are a complicated issue across the entire globe.

I've even seen segregation behavior (based on color) demonstrated in groups of animals. Maybe it's instinctual that races divide. Maybe it was necessary for survival long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X