Imagine That - What a Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

American Thinker is just a news aggregate site for conservative journalists for their news and opinion articles. Just because you don't like their opinion or perspective doesn't make them fake.
    Same Energy. Not saying you specifically but theres quite a few people who have liked other posts but seem to have skipped over this one.

Comment

As you can see by this site https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ed-by-u-s-law/

I should have checked my fact checker because it was delivered because of a law passed by Congress in 2000.

I wonder what party was in control of the House in 2000???

I think almost all of us are in agreement that it should not have been delivered, but is it wrong for the President to obey the laws that Congress passes and if so is it okay for us to also disobey whatever laws we think are not right?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

American Thinker is just a news aggregate site for conservative journalists for their news and opinion articles. Just because you don't like their opinion or perspective doesn't make them fake.
        And just because you like their opinion or perspective does not make it true

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

I dont know why you're quoting me. Furthermore I dont really give a **** what Pete Buttigieg or Ted Cruz have to say about anything.
          With that said if you'd like my comment on the article - they're both right.

Ted Cruz only mentioned true statements that the writers of the Constitution made. He didn't opine about these statements (only that Buttigieg was ignorant ot the historical facts he stated). You are quoted only because you refuse to acknowledge Buttegieg's stating untrue facts. If he had said that some of our forefathers (mostly from the South) were racist, and wanted to use slavery for their own economic gain, while others (most likely from the North) either were agnostic, or disagreed with slavery, he would have been correct.

Facts are that the Constitutional Convention was made up of men who disagreed on a number of issues. The only issue that ALL men at the Convention agreed upon was that they wanted this fragile UNION of 13 states with competing needs) to continue. If they couldn't come to an agreement (over slavery, etc.), the United States of America was most likely "dead from the beginning", and we would probably now (currently) be having an allegiance to the Queen of England (War of 1812), or speaking French (the French had most of the Americas west of the beginning 13 colonies), whose territories we bought in 1803 (I think) in what is known as the Louisiana Purchase. The times of the Constitutional Convention were complex times and there was more peril and the possibility that we would fail to reach an agreement than we would be successful. Thanks goodness they found a way to Compromise on these issues even as flawed as the final document may seem. If you consider all that was going on, the document is a wonderful document that has stood the tests of time with the changes that we have needed by ending slavery, adding eligible voters, ect.
          Last edited by Shockm; December 31, 2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            You are quoted only because you refuse to acknowledge Buttegieg's stating untrue facts..
            First off - Ive never mentioned that man on this website in any capacity. So there would be nothing for me to acknowledge in the first place.

Secondly, You’re not the person who quoted me. So your explanation as quoted above makes absolutely no sense to me. Perhaps let big boys and girls speak for themselves?

Finally, regarding whatever you wrote that I surely didnt read. As I stated, Theyre both right. We can agree that its a complex issue. What we wont agree on however is that slavery no matter by whom or when, is wrong.
            The disagreement comes in the fact that while there surely were people who were against slavery, they didnt care enough to abolish it from the get go

Comment

What we wont agree on however is that slavery no matter by whom or when, is wrong.
              The disagreement comes in the fact that while there surely were people who were against slavery, they didnt care enough to abolish it from the get go
              You/re statement "we won't agree on that slavery is wrong" is a "totally ignorant" statement.

I can't believe that there is anyone who reads or submits statements on this board who would believe that slavery was ever okay. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

Your lack of knowledge and wisdom also shows on your second statement that those who were against slavery didn't care enough to abolish it. I would imagine that there were some who were offended by others who refused to alter their views of slavery. However, if our weak coalition of states was going to survive, they believed that they had to compromise.

-You (ASM) need to read more about the history of America. There are very good books about our weak coalition of states in 1789 when George Washington became our first President.
              -You probably don't realize that the French Revolution occurred at approximately the same time as the American Revolution.\
              -Free African Americans in the South (Louisiana around New Orleans) also owned black slaves from Africa in the late 1700's-early 1800's.

There are many interesting historical facts that you could benefit from if you cared to educate yourself because you are correct that times were complex and still are. It's too bad, that today, people cannot find the means to compromise to find solutions to issues of disagreement.

Comment

You wrote an English 101 paper only to prove that I was right in what we would disagree on? I see - the space between sentences is throwing you off. Kind of like Ron Burgandy you just read whats on the card. Got it.

Listen here Champ, Slavery is bad. Compromising on slavery is also bad. We agree on the former and as I stated from the get go would disagree on the latter.

Its the holiday season so I'll refrain from letting you know where you can take all that talk about what I need to be doing.

Comment

You wrote an English 101 paper only to prove that I was right in what we would disagree on? I see - the space between sentences is throwing you off. Kind of like Ron Burgandy you just read whats on the card. Got it.

Listen here Champ, Slavery is bad. Compromising on slavery is also bad. We agree on the former and as I stated from the get go would disagree on the latter.

Its the holiday season so I'll refrain from letting you know where you can take all that talk about what I need to be doing.
                  Is compromising on gun control bad? Gender identity? Taxes? Healthcare? Abortion? Immigration? Should we understand that many people have principled arguments, or should we make half the country criminals?
                  Livin the dream

Comment

You’re a stupid idiot. If compromising on any issue was a decision between giving a little and our country being decimated within (gobbled up by ourselves because we refused to give a Little), you’d probably advocate for being a part of Another country. That’s the decision our forefathers faced.

Comment

You’re a stupid idiot. If compromising on any issue was a decision between giving a little and our country being decimated within (gobbled up by ourselves because we refused to give a Little), you’d probably advocate for being a part of Another country. That’s the decision our forefathers faced.
                      Another country that was pro-slavery.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

yOu’Re A sTuPiD iDiOt haha

You poor little baby. At least have the balls to say that you’re perfectly fine with slavery. At least save us both from having to read you’re very poor argument as to why Slavery was ok.

Comment

yOu’Re A sTuPiD iDiOt haha

You poor little baby. At least have the balls to say that you’re perfectly fine with slavery. At least save us both from having to read you’re very poor argument as to why Slavery was ok.
                          You’re creating a straw man because you have lost the plot.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Is compromising on gun control bad? Gender identity? Taxes? Healthcare? Abortion? Immigration? Should we understand that many people have principled arguments, or should we make half the country criminals?
                            And here we are. The part Where someone starts throwing out red herrings in hopes itll take away from the actual conversation being had. But hey however you want to live your life man.

Comment

[QUOTE=wufan;n1208113]

You’re creating a straw man because you have lost the plot. [/QUOTE

You might want to google or even Youtube what a Strawman is.

Comment

And here we are. The part Where someone starts throwing out red herrings in hopes itll take away from the actual conversation being had. But hey however you want to live your life man.

No one is defending slavery. No one is throwing out red herrings. YOU are the one that says anyone that understands context is in favor of slavery. When I ask for your clarification, you cry foul. You are so bad at this, that when all anyone can do is shake their head and call you stupid, you claim victory.

I will ask you to clarify your opinion:

Is it ever okay to compromise on slavery? If not, why not?
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X