• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atxshoxfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Here's an interesting development in paper production that doesn't require cutting down trees. I know in the US most trees cut down for commercial usage have an equal amount of planting going on to make up for it, but I'm a big fan of having choices/alternatives to just about anything.

This Startup Is Using Dead Leaves to Make Paper Without Cutting Trees

Businesses like to talk about the concept of a closed loop or circular economy, but often they’re trying to close small loops. Releaf Paper takes dead leaves from city trees and turns them into paper for bags, office supplies, and more—which is to say they are striving to close one heck of a big loop.

How big? Six billion trees are cut down every year for paper products according to the WWF, producing everything from toilet paper to Amazon boxes to the latest best-selling novels. Meanwhile, the average city produces 8,000 metric tons of leaves every year which clog gutters and sewers, and have to be collected, composted, burned, or dumped in landfills.

In other words, huge supply and huge demand, but Releaf Paper is making cracking progress. They already produce 3 million paper carrier bags per year from 5,000 metric tons of leaves from their headquarters in Paris.

Joining forces with landscapers in sites across Europe, thousands of tonnes of leaves arrive at their facility where a low-water, zero-sulfur/chlorine production process sees the company create paper with much smaller water and carbon footprints.

It is said of the city of Kyiv that one can walk from one side to the other without ever leaving the shade of horse chestnut trees. Whether Ukrainian founders Alexander Sobolenko or Valentyn Frechka of Releaf Paper ever lived or worked in Kyiv, perhaps this preponderance of greenery influenced their thinking while the pair were coming up with the idea in university.

“In a city, it’s a green waste that should be collected. Really, it’s a good solution because we are keeping the balance—we get fiber for making paper and return lignin as a semi-fertilizer for the cities to fertilize the gardens or the trees. So it’s like a win-win model,” Frechka, co-founder and CTO of Releaf Paper, told Euronews.
    There's about a seventy second video at the bottom of the article that gives a brief overview of the concept.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXJOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    3 days of overcast and drizzle, all my water tanks with solar pumps are dry.
    I hope last nights rain helped.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    3 days of overcast and drizzle, all my water tanks with solar pumps are dry.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    This is interesting. I sometimes wonder how people come up with certain ideas.

A Recipe for Zero-Emissions Fuel: Soda Cans, Seawater, and Caffeine

A team from MIT has discovered a fascinating chemical reaction that could allow ships or submarines to power themselves with zero-emissions hydrogen via a combination of aluminum pellets and the seawater through which they sail.

Several clever tweaks allowed for this process to generate a not-insubstantial amount of hydrogen gas—the kind being used as an alternative to fossil fuels in heavy machinery like construction equipment, trains, and planes.

The tweak was, if one can believe it, a dash of coffee grounds, making the whole process tantalizingly sustainable as the aluminum came from old soda cans.

Hydrogen is being tested in all kinds of applications, and is extremely exciting as a potential replacement for diesel because it has completely zero carbon emissions—the only output is hydrogen dioxide—also known as water.

However, hang-ups exist as to the safety of carrying large tanks of hydrogen gas aboard vehicles due to its volatile nature. Aly Kombargi, a Ph.D. student in MIT’s Department of Mechanical Engineering, and his colleagues on the project envisioned using seawater as the hydrogen source, and aluminum pellets as the on-board fuel, a little like how coal was shoveled into steamships once upon a time.

“This is very interesting for maritime applications like boats or underwater vehicles because you wouldn’t have to carry around seawater—it’s readily available,” says Kombargi, lead author on the paper published with the experiment’s results.

The reaction works like this: pure aluminum, when dropped into water, causes a straightforward reaction that generates hydrogen gas. To reduce costs, aluminum soda cans can be used, but only if pretreated with a rare and expensive alloy called gallium indium because the non-pure aluminum in soda cans develops a protective oxide barrier upon exposure to oxygen in the air that prevents the reaction from taking place.
    Somehow there's an ingredient in coffee grounds/caffeine that when mixed in create what's needed so it's no longer crazy expensive.

They estimate that 1 gram of these aluminum pellets would create 1.3 liters of hydrogen in 5 minutes. They believe that 40 pounds of these pellets could power a small underwater craft for about 30 days.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. It could potentially be a way for some to save costs and be cleaner on/in the ocean. Being able to use the seawater as a main source to create the hydrogen needed is pretty genius and it's quite abundant as long as you have the pellets on board.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Also posted this in the movie thread…

Good for Hollywood and director Lee Isaac Chun.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twiste...reach-audience

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Put this in the category of “not shocked” We have covered this story closely and reported on the environmental threat posed by wind turbines. /Vineyard Wind shut down after turbine failure sends "sharp fiberglass shards" onto Nantucket beaches - CBS Boston

image.png

Leave a comment:

• Atxshoxfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Because if you go through the records, there's NEVER been a 4th of July on a Thursday where the temperature was an EXTREME 80+ degrees due to man made global warming while a Democrat was in office and a hurricane was hovering over Cancun while the Chiefs were the reigning Super Bowl champions.

It's never happened!!
    That explains it. How stupid of me!

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    It's LITERALLY never happened.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
    Call me stupid, but how is it record setting if it's happened as bad or worse prior.
    Because if you go through the records, there's NEVER been a 4th of July on a Thursday where the temperature was an EXTREME 80+ degrees due to man made global warming while a Democrat was in office and a hurricane was hovering over Cancun while the Chiefs were the reigning Super Bowl champions.

It's never happened!!

Leave a comment:

• Atxshoxfan
    replied
    I was watching the weather on one of the main stream media national broadcasts the other day when they said that the heatwave was record breaking. Followed by, we haven't seen a heatwave like this in over 18 years.
    Call me stupid, but how is it record setting if it's happened as bad or worse prior.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    I wasn't alive during the dust bowl years, but I'm guessing it was worse then. I know that there were other issues with the land/farming, etc that contributed, but still. I'll take this climate.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC View Post
    I'm really getting fatigued with all of this talk of "unprecedented" heat waves. Some commentators use the word unprecedented at the same time they talk about current temperature highs matching highs in 1912, 1925, 1936, 1955, 1966, 1973, 1980, 1988, etc etc. That is not the proper use of the word UNPRECEDENTED !!!
    Number of 100-degree days for Wichita, 2011 (56 days) and 2012 (36), is the most in back-to-back years. While not consecutive years, 1934 (40) and 1936 (50) totaled 90.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    I'm really getting fatigued with all of this talk of "unprecedented" heat waves. Some commentators use the word unprecedented at the same time they talk about current temperature highs matching highs in 1912, 1925, 1936, 1955, 1966, 1973, 1980, 1988, etc etc. That is not the proper use of the word UNPRECEDENTED !!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X