Anthropogenic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

In the end that probably is the solution... plus people have to go to where there is water. Downstream from Lake Mead there are several more dams/ lakes, one of which diverts water to Los Angeles.

The "lost" city of Petra which is in today's Jordan seems to have been a bit like Las Vegas and was indeed fated to bite the dust.
    In the end, yes, but the end is centuries away. There are many alternatives should they have the political will to continue geoengineering.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• “Elephant in the room”: Clean energy’s need for unsustainable minerals -- Our need for minerals may strain supply and lead to environmental issues.

This is the energy mineral rush. People around the world are scrambling, drilling, drying, and sifting to get at a range of metals needed for our energy transition. Renewable energy technologies are central to the fight against climate change, but they’re heavily reliant on minerals—naturally occurring, solid materials made from one or more elements. But extracting and refining them presents humanitarian, environmental, and logistical challenges.

Different technologies require partly overlapping materials. Lithium, nickel, and cobalt are critical to energy storage used in electric vehicles and grid systems, and rare earth elements like neodymium are needed for the permanent magnets used in wind turbines and electric vehicle motors. Meanwhile, copper is a “cornerstone” for electricity-based tech, according to a report last year by the International Energy Agency (IEA).

The report found that to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, overall mineral requirements would need to increase six-fold. In that scenario, the demand for lithium would rise by 90 percent. But those minerals have to come from somewhere, and that often involves harmful sourcing, increased greenhouse gas emissions, and limits on the mineral supply.

The article addresses the following issues: 1)Finite Supply, 2) Upstream Emissions, 3) Harmful Sourcing, 4) More Data, Better Regulation and Less Consumption.

It’s also important to look for solutions beyond these extraction-based challenges: The best way to fight climate change is to massively reduce consumption that causes greenhouse gas emissions.

One word the seems to absent from this article and IEA report is: nuclear

But clean energy does solve one of the Left’s problems: People they don’t like doing things they don’t approve of.

Non-nuclear “clean energy” isn’t about saving the Earth — how could it be, after even its proponents admit how filthy it is?

No, non-nuclear “clean energy” is about forcing people to reduce the energy they use. Just like the return to “organic” farming, which the Biden Administration is using the Ukraine War to nudge farmers into doing, is about reducing crop yields.

From Instapundit earlier on Monday:
      [Obama Administration retread Samantha] Power telling Stephanopoulos that potential food shortages are a way to nudge farmers in a direction the administration wants them to go is akin to their frequent arguments that high gas prices should be encouraged to nudge drivers into electric cars.

Reduce energy production and everyone but the well-connected would be reduced to a pre-industrial lifestyle. Reduce food production and there won’t be enough of the hoi polloi to put up a fuss about it.

Comment

• This company is helping cities breathe by covering walls with moss

Auke Bleij and team pioneer the use of ‘bioreceptive’ concrete, which they say allows for the abundant growth of moss. With rhizoids instead of roots, moss is non-invasive to building facades, they say, and given its dense leaf system, is of potentially great benefit to urban environments.

Moss converts CO2 to oxygen and absorbs and removes other pollutants from water and air; boosts biodiversity by providing habitat on otherwise bare concrete surfaces; and retains water and cools via evapotranspiration and by shielding the surface from sunlight.
        Here's an interesting way to potentially combat some urban pollution and better lives. I don't know all of the science behind it or how well it actually works, but I like the outside the box thinking and how it's not some government boondoggle to force people into poverty. It'll be interesting to follow.

I do like private citizens and companies coming up with potential, non-invasive ways to do things to better our way of life. And who knows where this may lead.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          This company is helping cities breathe by covering walls with moss

Here's an interesting way to potentially combat some urban pollution and better lives. I don't know all of the science behind it or how well it actually works, but I like the outside the box thinking and how it's not some government boondoggle to force people into poverty. It'll be interesting to follow.

I do like private citizens and companies coming up with potential, non-invasive ways to do things to better our way of life. And who knows where this may lead.
          Curious if people will be able to walk on the moss without killing it…Probably slip and trip hazards make this untenable from a liability standpoint.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Curious if people will be able to walk on the moss without killing it…Probably slip and trip hazards make this untenable from a liability standpoint.
            Who's walking on walls?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Who's walking on walls?
              I was planning on growing the moss on the sidewalks. Try and stop me!
              Livin the dream

Comment

I was planning on growing the moss on the sidewalks. Try and stop me!
                You didn't say that directly. Feel free to give it a go.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Would a mold covered shower wall work like moss?

Comment

• Another project that I find interesting to help cut down on garbage/waste and repurpose food scraps.

This Bronx Housing Complex Comes With Giant Machine Stomach to Turn All Food Waste Into Fertilizer

A new community housing development in the Bronx will feature a cool piece of kit: an on-site aerobic digester that can turn 1,100 pounds of food scraps into 220 pounds of high-quality fertilizer every single day.

Built by Harp Renewables, it’s basically a big stomach filled with bacteria that breaks down food scraps and wasted food into their component parts, and in the future could be a standard part of all apartment units as the amount of food waste in American reaches 30% of the total mass of all trash collection.

The Peninsula, organized by Gilbane Development Company, will feature 740 units of affordable housing, 50,000 square-foot light industrial space and equal sized green space, and 15,000 feet of commercial space, all of which will send their castaway comestibles right into the digester.
                    They believe, if this becomes a duplicated project, that this will also cut down on CO2 emissions as places like NYC would no longer need to import massive amounts of fertilizer for parks and community gardens and such.

Again, another relatively small project that could potentially have very valuable results down the road and not require massive changes to the average Joe.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Another project that I find interesting to help cut down on garbage/waste and repurpose food scraps.

This Bronx Housing Complex Comes With Giant Machine Stomach to Turn All Food Waste Into Fertilizer

They believe, if this becomes a duplicated project, that this will also cut down on CO2 emissions as places like NYC would no longer need to import massive amounts of fertilizer for parks and community gardens and such.

Again, another relatively small project that could potentially have very valuable results down the road and not require massive changes to the average Joe.
                      the Joe we have now is below-average

Comment

• A new study links how many hurricanes form worldwide to air pollution levels. Wednesday's study from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says cleaner air in Europe and the United States is helping trigger a dramatic increase in the number of Atlantic hurricanes.

Study finds cleaner air leads to more Atlantic hurricanes

Comment

• So let me get this straight. It takes between 21 to 35 days for a Russian oil tanker to get to US ports to be offloaded.
                          It takes between 35 and 60 days for a tanker from the Middle East to make the same trek.

It takes about 10 hours to load the tanker and up to 24 hours to unload. If it has to wait in port to get to an unloading dock, it can take up to 3 days.

The average tanker burns 2,625 gallons of diesel fuel per hour. 22.38 pounds of CO2 are created from burning 1 gallon of diesel fuel.
                          So, in one hour, a tanker ship hauling oil to a refinery in the US creates 58,757.5 pounds of CO2 per hour. Averaging the travel time of the tankers, that's 27.67 million tons of CO2 per trip.

In comparison, your car creates between 6 and 9 tons per year.

Without going into all the equations of how many tankers come to the US per year, let alone our exports, will someone please explain to me how drilling our own oil and moving it through pipelines, along with importing oil from Canada via pipeline will not be more environmentally "green" for the world.

Please explain to me why buying oil from another country is good for the environment?? Or better yet how buying oil from another country is better than pumping our own oil??

There’s nothing green about this other than these elites are lining their pockets with green.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            So let me get this straight. It takes between 21 to 35 days for a Russian oil tanker to get to US ports to be offloaded.
                            It takes between 35 and 60 days for a tanker from the Middle East to make the same trek.

It takes about 10 hours to load the tanker and up to 24 hours to unload. If it has to wait in port to get to an unloading dock, it can take up to 3 days.

The average tanker burns 2,625 gallons of diesel fuel per hour. 22.38 pounds of CO2 are created from burning 1 gallon of diesel fuel.
                            So, in one hour, a tanker ship hauling oil to a refinery in the US creates 58,757.5 pounds of CO2 per hour. Averaging the travel time of the tankers, that's 27.67 million tons of CO2 per trip.

Without going into all the equations of how many tankers come to the US per year, let alone our exports, will someone please explain to me how drilling our own oil and moving it through pipelines, along with importing oil from Canada via pipeline will not be more environmentally "green" for the world.

Please explain to me why buying oil from another country is good for the environment?? Or better yet how buying oil from another country is better than pumping our own oil??

There’s nothing green about this other than these elites are lining their pockets with green.
                            Pin, didn’t know you had it in you. Solid observations and questions to ponder. Your last sentence sums it up well.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              So let me get this straight. It takes between 21 to 35 days for a Russian oil tanker to get to US ports to be offloaded.

It’s not really about CO2, it’s about power.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

It’s not really about CO2, it’s about power.
                                This. All this. The threat of global warming is just another guise to do their commie stuff without saying they are doing it for commie reasons.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X