Good Job Supremes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Job Supremes

Most of the conservative and liberal Supremes are rocking on the issue of state seizures disproportionate to the (often only potential) crime committed.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court left little doubt Wednesday that it would rule that the Constitution's ban on excessive fines applies to the states, an outcome that could help an Indiana man recover the $40,000 Land Rover police seized when they arrested him for selling about $400 worth of heroi

Well done Supremes!

No surprise, Roberts is the idiot in this case. I like him less and less and less and less.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Most of the conservative and liberal Supremes are rocking on the issue of state seizures disproportionate to the (often only potential) crime committed.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court left little doubt Wednesday that it would rule that the Constitution's ban on excessive fines applies to the states, an outcome that could help an Indiana man recover the $40,000 Land Rover police seized when they arrested him for selling about $400 worth of heroi

Well done Supremes!

No surprise, Roberts is the idiot in this case. I like him less and less and less and less.
    Could this be a President Bush phenomenon? We should pray that Roberts does not morph into GHWB's Supreme Court appointment of Souter:

GHWB appointed two Justices - Thomas and Souter

GW appointed two Justices - Alito and Roberts

Comment

Civil asset forfeiture is a cancer to society.

The reigns controlling ground-level, everyday law enforcement in this country have to be kept very taut. They're like a junkyard dog; great when they take down a bad guy, not so great when they maul a toddler. Even worse when the toddler gets blamed, and the junkyard dog is able to retreat and hide behind the other dogs.

Comment

It is dangerous to draw assumptions from the comments of and questions of the justices. But by in large, at least we appear to have tangible proof of something that may well bring together both sides of political spectrum at the national/judicial level.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

84% of Americans Oppose Civil Asset Forfeiture

https://www.cato.org/blog/84-america...set-forfeiture

A half-crazy person might say that this is a pretty good indication the American People have lost control of the American Government.

Comment

I don't know the constitutional implications on this issue but my hunch tells me that if you're doing some heavy illegal ****, be ready to have your **** ganked by law enforcement. Running a law enforcement organization is expensive; I don't have much sympathy for criminals. If you're found innocent you'll get your **** back.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I think the concern is that you have shady cops that could be incentivized to get cool ****! This guy did a $400 drug sale in his Range Rover and they took it. He was certainly guilty, but that’s not proportional punishment.

A better punishment would be an appropriate fine, (perhaps 10 times the amount of money that was exchanged in the transaction?), plus any necessary jail time.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                I don't know the constitutional implications on this issue but my hunch tells me that if you're doing some heavy illegal ****, be ready to have your **** ganked by law enforcement. Running a law enforcement organization is expensive; I don't have much sympathy for criminals. If you're found innocent you'll get your **** back.

T

Assets are seized and put on trial, not people. The people in these sort of cases are never charged with anything. Their assets are seized in a "guilty before innocent" (as it relates to assets, not persons) predicament, and people have to prove to the court that their assets aren't from the spoils of crime, when the people are never even charged for a crime.

I mean there will always be the same forfeiture we've always had when the human is convicted and the spoils of the crime are seized, but that's not this issue. This is a chicken before the egg situation, only with no egg, and the government steals your chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Assets are seized and put on trial, not people. The people in these sort of cases are never charged with anything. Their assets are seized in a "guilty before innocent" (as it relates to assets, not persons) predicament, and people have to prove to the court that their assets aren't from the spoils of crime, when the people are never even charged for a crime.

I mean there will always be the same forfeiture we've always had when the human is convicted and the spoils of the crime are seized, but that's not this issue. This is a chicken before the egg situation, only with no egg, and the government steals your chicken.
                  The way I read it is that the forfeiture will no longer occur.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

The way I read it is that the forfeiture will no longer occur.
                    I can't imagine that to be the case. Old school forfeiture for convicted criminals who wouldn't otherwise have X without the crime doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks Explains the problem pretty well.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I watched about a third of that video and found it to be extremely insulting. We've got a Libtard comedian using the police as the punchline to his jokes. I'm utterly disgusted. And regarding the dude at the beginning of the video that lost around 2,500 dollars "his dad gave him" after his car was searched by canine, had assuredly tested positive for drugs in the car. You have to have probable cause to take someone's property. It's no light affair unlike what the Libtard comedian would have you believe.

"Yeah, I'll have all your money and the slurpee in the cup holder."

****in' asshole.

This country is full of gangsters driving around in brand new vehicles flashing cash that could only come from illegal activities. I am 100% against this law being overturned.

If you're stopped by the police and they ask to search your car, tell them NO. If they persist ask them, "am I free to go officer?" They have to charge you with a crime or let you leave. Do not get involved with chit chat. It's all business to them so it should be all business to you.

Smokin' HOT after watching that video. God! Cops never get a break in this Libtard country...

T

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow! I just watched more of that video and it got even worse. And you enjoyed watching that wufan? Fk me that was literally one of the most disrespectful things I have ever witnessed. It was absolutely RIFE with Fake News and fancy editing. These people are dying every night so you can sleep peacefully.

T

• wufan
                        wufan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m not a John Oliver fan, and I am a fan of the police. I can still agree with the premise of the video and that the gov has too much power. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive to me.

I am no fan of Oliver, but all of his points were valid and should concern any American that does not worship at the alter of the State. Civil asset forfeiture is a soulless abomination that should not be tolerated under any circumstance unless and until it has been proven that the person in question is in fact guilty of a crime and then only if confiscating the property is in connection to the crime that they have been found guilty of.

Sadly, way too often, that is nowhere close to the case in how this is handled at any level of government. You have to be one truly soulless bastard to support these kinds of actions.
                      The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

In 2010, there were $2.5 BILLION in asset forfeitures. Can everybody on here agree that the vast majority of those proceeds came from bad actors? If we can agree on that, can we also agree that the rest of the cases (a minority) would be considered collateral damage? If we can agree on that, can we agree that nearly every use of punitive force on the planet from the meter maid to the dude that drops big bombs on terrorists inflict collateral damage? If we can agree on that, can we also agree that Capitalism inflicts collateral damage on the weak? If we can agree on that, can we also agree that Capitalism is the most successful form of economy known to man? If we can agree on that, can we conclude that while civil forfeiture is imperfect, it's a very effective instrument in our law enforcement tool bag for tipping the scales against sophisticated criminals?

If not, what would you propose we do instead? Just let 'em bling out? Maybe we could call it an economic stimulus package because you know the dealers are throwing every nickel they earn straight back into the economy: Rolli's, 'Rrari's, etc...

Of course there's that little problem about your kid buying laced dope and dying on a street corner somewhere.

T

Comment

• mattdalt
                          mattdalt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The kid buying laced dope and dying on a street corner somewhere is not the sole fault of the dealer. Don't buy, don't use, don't die.

It is better to let them guilty men go free than to punish one innocent man.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Perverse incentive. Look it up. Cornerstone of this very issue.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                            C0|dB|00ded commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Do you think the average police officer is corrupt? If you do, the citizenry has a lot more to worry about than having their wads of cash and slurpees stolen. A corrupt police officer has the opportunity to take lives and get away with it.

Do you believe the 2.5 billion taken in 2010 mostly came from honest, law-abiding citizens? If you do then Oliver Libtard's video makes a lot of sense to you with his mockery of police captains speaking about their expenditures OUT OF ***** CONTEXT!

Okay, I'm getting wound up again.

#fakenews

T

Working...
                        X