Union/Gov't Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union/Gov't Battles

I saw this on TV this morning. Some interesting things happening in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Labor Unrest Could Go National
    Democrats and Unions Badger GOP in Wisconsin

“I've said all along the thousands of people who are storming the capitol have every right to be heard, but I'm not going to let them overshadow the voices of the millions of taxpayers in the state of Wisconsin who deserve to be heard, as well.”

-- Gov. Scott Walker, R-Wisc., “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren”
    The grassroots political operation of President Obama, who on Wednesday denounced the austerity legislation as an “attack on unions,” has swung in behind the government workers. Organizing for America, the activist organizing wing of the Democratic National Committee is helping keep the pressure on Republican lawmakers who plan to pass the legislation today.

Members of the Service Employees International Union, the most influential union in national Democratic circles, have also joined the fray in support of the government workers. The SEIU is helping man an around-the-clock occupation of the central halls of the state capital.

Tea Party groups, meanwhile, have planned a counter demonstration for Saturday at the capitol in support of the measure, raising the prospect of a clash between the activist groups.

Thousands of union activists have tried to shut down the process at the statehouse, which swung to the GOP in the 2010 elections. The efforts to block access to the state Senate and disrupt debates have been described as “mostly peaceful,” though union groups have expanded their protests to the homes of individual lawmakers.

Nine protesters have been arrested so far for disorderly conduct.

The holdup in the vote is due to the fact that the Democratic members of the Senate are on the lam, denying Republicans a quorum and the chance to vote. The Democrats are holed up at a resort just across the Illinois border, putting them beyond the reach of Wisconsin law enforcement agencies that could otherwise compel at least one Democrat to appear in the Senate so a vote could take place.

So far, the hideout seems to be backfiring. Moderate Republicans who had been on the fence over the legislation are denouncing the shutdown as undemocratic.
    The measure would increase the contributions of public employees to their own retirement and medical benefits. The plan, put forward by new Gov. Scott Walker, R-Wisc., would have public workers make equal contributions to their retirement funds (teachers currently contribute $1 for every $56.94 from the state) and increase workers’ share of health insurance premiums to 12.6 percent. Teachers in most districts currently pay less than 5 percent of their insurance costs. The national average for workers is 27 percent.

While the increased contributions are a sore spot, the greatest anger among demonstrators is over the portion of the bill that would strip public workers of the right to bargain for higher wages, benefits and changes to job duties. Pay raises for public workers would be subject to voter approval. Under the law, the state would also stop withholding union dues from government paychecks and make due payments strictly voluntary.
    Wisconsin GOP Senate Leader Sends State Troopers After Missing Top Democrat
    The top Republican in the Wisconsin state Senate has asked Gov. Scott Walker to send state troopers after Democratic leader Mark Miller as Democrats boycott a vote on a bill that would end collective bargaining rights for unionized public employees.

Senate Democrats have been missing from the Capitol for a day and a half. Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald says he has asked Gov. Scott Walker to send two state troopers to Miller's home in Monona. He says he believes the troopers are en route.

The Wisconsin Constitution prohibits police from arresting legislators while they're in session. Fitzgerald says he just wants to send a message to Miller -- if he's even home -- that he must bring his caucus back to Madison.
    Walker, trying to close a $3.6 billion budget gap, fired back on Friday at President Obama, who accused the Republican governor of unleashing "an assault" on unions by pressing the cost-saving legislation.

"I think we're focused on balancing our budget. It would be wise for the president and others in Washington to focus on balancing their budget, which they're a long ways from doing," Walker told Fox News.

In a White House interview with WTMJ-TV on Wednesday, Obama joined the raging budget battle in Wisconsin, taking big labor's side.

"Some of what I've heard coming out of Wisconsin, where you're just making it harder for public employees to collectively bargain generally seems like more of an assault on unions," Obama said. "And I think it's very important for us to understand that public employees, they're our neighbors, they're our friends."

"I think everybody's got to make some adjustments, but I think it's also important to recognize that public employees make enormous contributions to our states and our citizens," he continued.

But Walker said the demands on public employees are "modest" compared with those in the private sector, and are meant to prevent a shutdown, which could result in 6,000 state workers not getting paid.
    Senate Bill 13
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

"I think we're focused on balancing our budget. It would be wise for the president and others in Washington to focus on balancing their budget, which they're a long ways from doing,"
    :good:

Comment

We may not be on the same side of every issue, but I am in awe of his ability to start a public debate about public employee unions.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Veterans object to governor's threatened use of national guard in union dispute

MADISON, WI - Veterans are strongly objecting to Governor Scott Walker's inappropriate threat to activate the National Guard to intimidate state workers, as his administration moves forward with plans to break up workers' unions.

"Maybe the new governor doesn't understand yet - but the National Guard is not his own personal intimidation force to be mobilized to quash political dissent," said Robin Eckstein, a former Wisconsin National Guard member, Iraq War Veteran from Appleton, WI, and member of VoteVets.org. "The Guard is to be used in case of true emergencies and disasters, to help the people of Wisconsin, not to bully political opponents. Considering many veterans and Guard members are union members, it's even more inappropriate to use the Guard in this way. This is a very dangerous line the Governor is about to cross."

Comment

Average WI teacher makes close to 100k with salary+benefits. http://maciverinstitute.com/2010/03/...tops-100kyear/

WI school admins make at minimum 100k in salary alone. http://michellemalkin.com/2011/02/17...nt-you-to-see/

I would serve my country to teach civics and government to young skulls full of mush for that kind of coin.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

We may not be on the same side of every issue, but I am in awe of his ability to start a public debate about public employee unions.
            It's Time to Do the Big Things - Christie this week at AEI

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
              Average WI teacher makes close to 100k with salary+benefits. http://maciverinstitute.com/2010/03/...tops-100kyear/

WI school admins make at minimum 100k in salary alone. http://michellemalkin.com/2011/02/17...nt-you-to-see/

I would serve my country to teach civics and government to young skulls full of mush for that kind of coin.
              I would be curious as to what makes up the some 43,000+ in benefits.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

From my blackberry I will try to be brief. It may seem off topic but I am not certain it is. Unions have had their place and so diverse are the problems that plague man that it unwise to speculate as to their central cause. No cause more elaborated than original sin seems adequate. Even so, let me venture this: The principal problems that face us are the makings of governments in action; for only governments can exercise the leverage necessary to transform individual vices into universal affliction.

It took government to translate Das Kapital into concentration camps; it takes positive action by government to preserve many of the imbalances in our economic system; only government, with it monopoly of force, can perpetuate injustices that individuals, given the freedom do so, would redress. It was long ago understood, in the evolution of political theory, that just about the only intolerable answer to big government was no government.

Government there must be, this side of paradise, so that the challenge is, and always will be, how to restrain and direct that government without out which we can not get on. The facile answer of the last century, when the body of progressive social theorists seized intoxicatingly upon literacy and self rule as the bases of the enlightened and domesticated state, have proved naïve. The insufficiency of democracy against the short comings and abuses of the state is concerted resistance by individuals. That resistance can only issue from an undamaged critical faculty, and moral sense. If the entire thinking class indulges itself in the suppression of the intellect and the conscience, anything can happen: Wars that should not be fought are fought; and wars that should be fought are not fought; human impulses that should be restrained are not restrained, and human impulses that should not be restrained are restrained; and great nations are humbled.

Comment

Would any parents or teachers like to chime in on the following links?

http://www.edreform.com/_upload/CER_JunkFoodDiet.pdf (No this is not really about junk food!)

Comment

Indiana Dems go AWOL
                    With Democrats fleeing Indiana to avoid voting on an anti-union bill in the latest fight over union rights in a Midwest state, Republican leaders were divided on whether to keep the so-called right-to-work legislation alive.

The bill, which would prohibit union representation fees from being a condition of employment, is under a Tuesday procedural deadline for consideration.

Only three of the 40 House Democrats were in the chamber when Republican Speaker Brian Bosma tried to begin Tuesday's session, leaving it with too few members for a quorum. At the same time, hundreds of union members crowded the adjourning hallways in protest of the contentious labor bill.

Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels said the absence of Democrats on Tuesday was a legitimate move and that he would not use state troopers to compel their attendance.

"I trust that people's consciences will bring them back to work and I choose to believe that our friends in the minority will -- having made their point -- will come back and do their duty," Daniels said.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

How is not showing up for work to intentionally stall the business that the legislature is there to do, a legitimate action?

Daniels is being a wuss.

Comment

Decoding the Wisconsin Polls

Comment

Forgive my ignorance....but can someone sharper than I (pretty much everyone) give me the "top sheet" information about the argument here?

I think I understand the fiscal issue: Make the pension contribution 50/50 (still WAY to high for publicly supported pensions, but it's not my state) and change the monthly health care copay from 5% to 12% (roughly) again, not enough considering the average private sector employee is around 25-30% copay. Correct me if I am wrong.

But I don't have a handle on collective bargaining....what is it they are trying to change? Is it that a condition of employment is that you MUST join the union AND pay dues, whether you want to or not? Meaning you cannot be a teacher in Wisconsin unless you pay union dues? It can't be that....because that makes no sense to me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker

I think that article is poorly written. How can a reasonable person justify a tax payer sponsored job that pays 25-50% more than what the private sector demands for the same job?

The simple laws of economics tell us that is a certain path to failure.

This entire discussion has me baffled. Unless I am totally missing the boat, given the FACTUAL details, I can't see more than 2 or 3 out of 10 tax payers supporting the unions position here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Is it that a condition of employment is that you MUST join the union AND pay dues, whether you want to or not? Meaning you cannot be a teacher in Wisconsin unless you pay union dues? It can't be that....because that makes no sense to me.

Thanks
                              The argument is more complicated than what follows and I will get into the weeds if necessary – but not now.

Look - I don’t know about Wisconsin, but sure in some states union dues are extracted from every employee’s paycheck – without their express consent. Where do you think public unions derive their ability to lavishly fund political candidates?

Personally, I don’t think there should be public unions (and FDR, by the way, would have agreed with me - public and private unions are very different). Why? Well, in part, the creation of public unions had nothing to do with improving the life and work environment of the government worker, rather it was a purely political move (I believe it was JFK who nationalized it). Public unions live off the taxpayer dollar and funnel those funds to those they believe support their interests – typically members of the Democratic Party. Awesome, right, that your tax dollars go to support candidates not of your own choosing – whether you are a public employee or not - it is a sweet deal for those that stand to benefit. That is why public unions support higher and higher taxes – they are analogous to a tick; sucking the blood out of our democracy.

They have power because they were allowed to have power, by some, and it should have never happened – and now it should be taken away.

Comment

Working...
                              X