Arena Designs - Which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena Designs - Which do you prefer?

Which design for the downtown arena appeals to you most?

Option A - Arial view and facts (PDF) | Front View
    Option B - Arial view and facts (PDF) | Front View
    Option C - Arial view and facts (PDF) | Front View

B-- 100%.

*A is fine, but it looks like everyone else's arena.
    *C looks like a barn. I don't care if it looks like an airplane wing or not, if it looks like that I may never go...
    *B isn't too weird but it's unique enough that would set the Sedgwick Co. arena apart. And if you're looking for a wing, the thing on the near side kinda looks like a cross-section of a wing...

Comment

I also like Option B, it doesn't look like any other arena that I have ever seen. I also like the idea of Option A being on the property at a diagnal (not North/South or East/West), that would also set it apart from everyone elses areanas. But I vote Option B

Comment

Originally posted by bigdotks
        I also like Option B, it doesn't look like any other arena that I have ever seen. I also like the idea of Option A being on the property at a diagnal (not North/South or East/West), that would also set it apart from everyone elses areanas. But I vote Option B
        Maybe they can angle option B in a similar way as option A. Maybe with the big glass entrance facing southwest. Option B was my favorite practically from the start. Looks like a major league arena. Option A looks like a generic arena (though I like the canopy). Option C is the Coliseum in a tuxedo.
        Sloane: What are we going to do?
        Ferris: The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?"

Comment

I like Bs design the best but do like the way A is angled on the lot. Combine those and we're good to go :)
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I do not like Option A at all. Don't know why, but I just don't. I voted for C because it is unlike anything I've ever seen before. It might be too weird though. Option B would be best if we want a style that is being used on many of the new arenas.

Comment

C reminds me a lot of 1960s modern architecture, which not only did not look great at the time, but also ages horribly.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Where is the parking for any of them? I counted maybe 200 parked cars around the designs. Where are the other 6000 cars going to park? The streets ned to be lined with the parking that wil be available. I will never go to the arena if parking is too much hassle. This topic is as important as how it looks and needs to be addressed. Maybe they need the arena built on stilts with the parking underneath or maybe parking on top. If the parking was on top the aerial view would not look good but who sees it from the air anyway other than in an airplane. Maybe it should look like an albatross if the parking situation sucks.

Where is the parking for the Savvis Center in St. Louis? Do most people park elswhere and use the metrolink?

Comment

I always park near the Savvis at one of the many parking areas there. It's not free, but it's not that bad either.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Are there a lot of parking areas? The place sets 20000 so I would think so. I would love to see a layout of the available parking areas around the new arena. I always parked at the hotel and walked or road the metrolink to Savvis.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      C reminds me a lot of 1960s modern architecture, which not only did not look great at the time, but also ages horribly.
                      That was my first impression, too, upon seeing the front entrance view.

Comment

engrshock,
                        There is parking but you have to walk a couple of blocks. I went to OKC and parked in Bricktown to go see a baseball game. I parked and walked 3 blocks to the stadium and I survived. Wichitans need to realize that you can not expect to park at the front door of buildings for events.

Comment

I do not expect to park at the front door. However, I have been downtown for various things and parking is not easy now. To go to an event you need to ahve some idea as to where to go to park. Driving around for an hour with 5000 other drivers to try and find a parking spot is not going to work. When I leave my house I will want to have some reasonable expectation that I can drive to a certain street or lot and find a parking spot. Since you think it will be so easy it should not be a problem for someone to provide a map as to where all of this parking is located.

Comment

Also Bricktown appears to have some thought given as to parking when it was built. Malls, stores and buildings have to provide some basis for parking before they are built. We are well past deciding to build the place and I think it is now the time to address the parking issue. I know that I am not the only person who has wondered about the available parking

Comment

I think the county should provide a map of parking lots around downtown and give it to every household in the county and make them available around the city.

I love how people think there is no parking in downtown. They all want parking garages and big lots. We have torn down plenty of buildings in downtown for parking. There is a huge lot near Protection One that can be used and how about all the parking in the rear of Union Station. Cox is moving out anyways. This city needs to realize that walking is OK. There is a parking garage across from the transit center, a parking garage on William and Market, and the parking lot where the Allis Hotel used to be just to name a few. I just don't think parking is that bad in downtown Wichita. Another idea is to get a trolley system going to cart people to the arena.

Comment

Working...
                              X