No announcement yet.

Severe Weather Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the developement to the south is hindering it from recycling.

Comment

Agreed SB Shock. That hook was Super Nasty but then the storm from behind came up and ate up the rotation basically.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Here is three screenshots of the radar that shows the evolution. The triangle is computer indicated tornado (at least where the rotation is strong enough that the computer thinks it's strong enough to produce a Tornado.

The system was kept cycling until the point where the southern storm exploded (and had it's mesocyclone signature - rotation storm or supercell.

[/url]

Comment

Good write up SB Shock.

Fatalities in OK confirmed

Nice GR2Analyst?

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
            Good write up SB Shock.

Nice GR2Analyst?
            Yes GR2Analyst. Great tool.

I was gonna look at it from Vance AFB to see if showed more detail of what happened to the rotation, but I lost power and all my download radar data to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
              Originally posted by wsushox1
              Good write up SB Shock.

Nice GR2Analyst?
              Yes GR2Analyst. Great tool.

I was gonna look at it from Vance AFB to see if showed more detail of what happened to the rotation, but I lost power and all my download radar data to that point.
              Yea I run GR3 but I was not at home at that time to look at it.

Comment

The hook echo that formed along the Kingman-Sedgwick County line was about an impressive a signature I've ever seen on Wichita doppler radar. That thing was scary ridiculous. As it approached I was convinced that there was a monster on the ground.

Two things:
                1.) No doubt about it, the smaller storms that started going up around the cell killed off any effective rotation as a storm from the southwest went straight north into the meso and killed it off.. just before it hit Mid-Continent. That tiny storm that came up and disrupted the initial storm may have saved a good chunk of central Wichita.
                2.) I think the lack of instability also was a factor as the storm moved east. We saw not one iota of sunshine all day as the warm front virtually cleared us just as the storm was approaching. I think the limited instability also may have played a role in contributing to the break up of the Sedgwick County storm.

Nice images SB. Again, that hook was unbelievable.

A pretty solid day, especially in Oklahoma. Things could have been far worse if the warm front would have retreated north faster.

Looks like things get somewhat interesting by Wednesday again..
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                  The hook echo that formed along the Kingman-Sedgwick County line was about an impressive a signature I've ever seen on Wichita doppler radar. That thing was scary ridiculous. As it approached I was convinced that there was a monster on the ground.

Two things:
                  1.) No doubt about it, the smaller storms that started going up around the cell killed off any effective rotation as a storm from the southwest went straight north into the meso and killed it off.. just before it hit Mid-Continent. That tiny storm that came up and disrupted the initial storm may have saved a good chunk of central Wichita.
                  2.) I think the lack of instability also was a factor as the storm moved east. We saw not one iota of sunshine all day as the warm front virtually cleared us just as the storm was approaching. I think the limited instability also may have played a role in contributing to the break up of the Sedgwick County storm.

A pretty solid day, especially in Oklahoma. Things could have been far worse if the warm front would have retreated north faster.

I agree with everything there. Low Level Clouds did indeed not burn off.

As those storms Entered the Wichita area where, as you said, there was no sunshine and little instability they kind of petered out.

I haven't really looked at Wednesday yet, been to busy with this day. I will do that tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

Two things:

I agree. The rotation was so strong that you could literally see the updraft and possible tornado in the 3-D volume view of GR2A (the screen shot I put out didn't do it justice).

I called my wife up and told her a Tornado Warning was coming and she told me I don't hear the siren - I said you will.

Comment

Tom Skilling (Chicago Meteorologist fame) was chasing in N. OK and S. Kansas has a video report. Here is his video report.

Comment

That storm had pretty strong Gate To Gate Rotation.

Comment

I just wanted to tell you all thanks for the info and images. I like to play armchair meteorologist at home, so all of this information is great.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                            I just wanted to tell you all thanks for the info and images. I like to play armchair meteorologist at home, so all of this information is great.
                            your welcome. It is good to see other share the same geeky interest.

Comment

I see the SPC about went Moderate risk for NW OK and SC KS for today (probably would not have included Wichita) due to the growing Hail/Tornado threat.

These storms tonight will be big hailers where ever they form

Comment

Tornado Watch up, Did not expect this at alll......Elevated stuff was the main storm mode?

Comment

Working...
                                X