Severe Weather Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Weather Season

Just want to take the time to remind people that, yes, this is still severe weather season even though there has been an amazingly low amount of Tornadoes this March.

I would also like to recommend getting a NOAA All-Hazards Radio (weather radio) if you don't have one already. You can program most of them to only alert you for important things such as Tornado Warnings, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, etc.

Lastly, the pattern should start to pick up here soon with this storm set to move in Thursday Night into Friday. This should not be anything widespread but instead set the table for next week. Next week looks as if it could end up being the first real days of Severe Weather across SC KS.

Stay safe out there!
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

And if you see the Discovery's Storm Chaser Caravan with the TIV parked by your house - get your cam corder out :yahoo:

Comment

Looking forward to Vortex2 and the weather channel`s Mike Bettes covering it. I had a link to a webcam he was using last year to broadcast for 2 hours a day online plus sometimes it would get left on & you could watch them traveling across the midwest.

Comment

Seeing how this spring is gonna be a bust for Shocker athletics, this is the one thing I'm really looking forward to.

I've done a great deal of reading to fine-tune my meteorological skills over the winter. It seems like south central Kansas is due for a big one (Greensburg considered SW Kansas..).

Unusual arctic surges and continual cold blasts have scoured the Gulf for a large part of this early Spring. The pattern has been stagnant since October actually. That is the only thing keeping this season from getting going early.

But like you said wsushox, next week may be our first decent opportunity. The timing still needs to be figured out, but if we can get some good moisture return, as its looking like for next week, then look out..
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I just want some moisture. My water bill is going to hurt if Mother Nature continues to treat Kansas like Arizona. This past winter, and spring so far, has been bone dry in the Wichita area. We need a few good frog stranglers, because sprinkler systems can't match the deep watering of a good rain.

Comment

funk that.

if my sons baseball tournament gets canceled there will be hell to pay

Comment

Severe thunderstorm Watch up for SE KS up to KC. Includes Wichita. Storms really getting going north of me in El Dorado. Seems linear storm mode right now.

Could see more super cellular thunderstorms in eastern KS. SPC is so confusing these days. They issue a Mesoscale Discussion saying Tornado Watch likely then they issue STSM Watch instead... Anyways. Stay Safe. Main threat is east of Wichita though as Wichita is right on the dryline.

Comment

What I don't like about KSN is they break in to regular programming to give weather coverage and it's really not even that bad, just some thunderstorms. KAKE and KWCH didn't break in as far as I know.

KSN said they would have continuous coverage on KS22, so unless the severe weather ends soon, we might not get to see too much of the Shockers game against OSU.

Comment

I looked over on KS22 to see what was showing and the Shocker Report was on. So I guess one thing that can trump severe weather coverage is sports coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                    What I don't like about KSN is they break in to regular programming to give weather coverage and it's really not even that bad, just some thunderstorms. KAKE and KWCH didn't break in as far as I know.

KSN said they would have continuous coverage on KS22, so unless the severe weather ends soon, we might not get to see too much of the Shockers game against OSU.
                    Exactly. Anyways my attention has turned to Sumner county where some cumulus is really struggling to get up. IF they could get up then it is likely that storm could become isolated from the main line and become more supercellular. Not sure if they will be able to rise all the way up.

Radar intensities just went up on the cumulus down there. They are getting slowly stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

Unusual arctic surges and continual cold blasts have scoured the Gulf for a large part of this early Spring. The pattern has been stagnant since October actually. That is the only thing keeping this season from getting going early.
                      Exactly. This is what really delayed the start of the season. Sea Surface Temperatures across the gulf were AMAZINGLY low over some parts of the winter. A cooler gulf means less moisture coming up into the Plains.

Comment

Discuss 8)

Comment

Might have a watch for SC Kansas soon.....

I was surprised to see the skies clearing today.

Welcome to Tornado Season Restart.

Also, pay attention to next week as well as an active, potentially even more dynamic system moves through the plains.

Comment

Wichita gets sandwiched between the two episodes (as always). Next week will be interesting, but these storm systems are really staying pretty far south.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1

Welcome to Tornado Season Restart.
                              31 tornadoes today so far on the restart. Previously there had been only 98 to this point in the year. Tomorrow is even looking like a bigger day.

Comment

Working...
                              X