Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTXE you are lower than whale crap laying on the bottom of the ocean.

Comment

Nope. MTXE shouldn't be banned.. :roll:
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by MTXE
        I wanted to wait a bit before posting a few of my thoughts due to the sensitivity surrounding the issue of Mr. Fahnestock's passing.

Well here goes:

Something about George committing suicide just doesn't jibe with me. How could a man of his benevolence and selflessness even consider the trade-off of abandoning his teenage daughters for a relief of personal pain. It completely flies in the face of everything he stood for in his life.

This whole deal sounds like a murder made to look like a suicide to me. Does he have any business competitors that would have a motive? How is the relationship with his current wife or children? The son's rather stoic comments about what would be a massively startling event in most family's lives seemed rather odd to me.

It seems like there are always a couple non-fictional murder/mystery programs on at night. The Fahnestock 'suicide' seems like a possible contender for a made-for-tv story if more is discovered.

Comment

I'll make a couple of comments, MTXE, in general. Please understand that I am in no way making a statement on the specifics of this incident.

1)Most insurance plans DO indeed cover suicide after a certain length of time. Mine does and that was the first thing I asked when purchasing the policy.

2)A person that is depressed, especially if under treatment and has gotten off their medication, doesn't have the same perception of life and death that you do, or anyone that isn't depressed. It can be manifested in a variety of ways. Many people aren't trying to "end the pain" (certainly some are) but most are trying not to remain a burden to others. A person like that doesn't have the balance in what is real and what isn't real that others do.

Most people that have had the level of success that George had do live complicated lives. I doubt George was any different. It is a shame when someone of his abilities is unable to beat the demons that plague his life. I certainly understand his battles and wish he would have won.

Life is precious and fleeting sometimes.....

Comment

I'm hoping for some honest discussion on the points I raised. Let's see if anybody can be honest about their feelings or questions.

I have talked with many people about George's passing and they have all said it doesn't make sense and that murder sounds more believable considering the circumstances and evidence made available to the general public.

Comment

I wanted to wait a bit before posting a few of my thoughts due to the sensitivity surrounding the issue of Mr. Fahnestock's passing.

Well here goes:

Something about George committing suicide just doesn't jibe with me. How could a man of his benevolence and selflessness even consider the trade-off of abandoning his teenage daughters for a relief of personal pain. It completely flies in the face of everything he stood for in his life.

This whole deal sounds like a murder made to look like a suicide to me. Does he have any business competitors that would have a motive? How is the relationship with his current wife or children? The son's rather stoic comments about what would be a massively startling event in most family's lives seemed rather odd to me.

It seems like there are always a couple non-fictional murder/mystery programs on at night. The Fahnestock 'suicide' seems like a possible contender for a made-for-tv story if more is discovered.
              I never met the man (but have never heard anything but good things), but I do know that often people who live with depression or have lived with it for a long time can be pretty good at hiding their true feelings to those around them. It's not a 'logical' thing in any way, so equating it in that way is pointless.

It's actually none of our business what truly happened. The last thing that the family deserves or needs is to have completely unfounded speculation about the man's untimely demise here on Shockernet. People so often try to find some sort of controversy when none exists because the circumstances seem so strange or out of place. Again, these situations don't usually follow any sensible 'logic'. We must trust that the authorities have done all that can be done in all matters regarding this tragedy.

It's about being respectful of what Mr. F. did for our community and Shockerland in general, and having sympathy and respect for what his family surely must be going through. Aside from his family (which again, is none of my business) his legacy is secure as a person who obviously did his fair share of giving and then some. Shockers everywhere will miss his contributions, which can never be 'replaced'.

RIP 'Mr. Shocker'

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                I'll make a couple of comments, MTXE, in general. Please understand that I am in no way making a statement on the specifics of this incident.

1)Most insurance plans DO indeed cover suicide after a certain length of time. Mine does and that was the first thing I asked when purchasing the policy.

2)A person that is depressed, especially if under treatment and has gotten off their medication, doesn't have the same perception of life and death that you do, or anyone that isn't depressed. It can be manifested in a variety of ways. Many people aren't trying to "end the pain" (certainly some are) but most are trying not to remain a burden to others. A person like that doesn't have the balance in what is real and what isn't real that others do.

Most people that have had the level of success that George had do live complicated lives. I doubt George was any different. It is a shame when someone of his abilities is unable to beat the demons that plague his life. I certainly understand his battles and wish he would have won.

Thank you for your honest response.

I am certain that GF's plate was very full. It just seems so odd to me that a person involved with so many charitable endeavors would take this route. In my experience, charity work is the ultimate anti-depressant. If he was a depressed man, he hid it VERY well. :(

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Nicely put Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25

Well here goes:

I never met the man (but have never heard anything but good things), but I do know that often people who live with depression or have lived with it for a long time can be pretty good at hiding their true feelings to those around them. It's not a 'logical' thing in any way, so equating it in that way is pointless.

It's actually none of our business what truly happened. The last thing that the family deserves or needs is to have completely unfounded speculation about the man's untimely demise here on Shockernet. People so often try to find some sort of controversy when none exists because the circumstances seem so strange or out of place. Again, these situations don't usually follow any sensible 'logic'. We must trust that the authorities have done all that can be done in all matters regarding this tragedy.

It's about being respectful of what Mr. F. did for our community and Shockerland in general, and having sympathy and respect for what his family surely must be going through. Aside from his family (which again, is none of my business) his legacy is secure as a person who obviously did his fair share of giving and then some. Shockers everywhere will miss his contributions, which can never be 'replaced'.

RIP 'Mr. Shocker'
                    Thoughtful points. And I want to again apologize to those I offended because I didn't take the status quo on this issue.

I didn't mean to imply that I felt that those who are severely depressed operate logically. It's just that those that are depressed (especially those who are suicidal), usually offer warning signs that seem contrary to GF's life. That's pretty much what I wanted to say in a nutshell. :(

Comment

I'm hoping for some honest discussion on the points I raised. Let's see if anybody can be honest about their feelings or questions.

I have talked with many people about George's passing and they have all said it doesn't make sense and that murder sounds more believable considering the circumstances and evidence made available to the general public.
                      Well with all those circumstances and "evidence", where is the Wichita Police Department?

Seriously, you've crossed the line about 2 hours ago.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

In my experience, charity work is the ultimate anti-depressant.
                        I understand what you are saying, but for someone battling depression (and mind you, I have no idea if that is the case here) I think you would be surprised that involvement in that kind of work often makes the depression even worse. I realize it doesn't make sense.......that's part of the problem in fighting depression.

If he was a depressed man, he hid it VERY well. :(
                        Not some, but most hide it very well. Most don't want the attention and of course that's the most dangerous time. When we talk about it that's a good thing....when it gets quiet, that's as big a red flag as you are going to see, more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

where is the Wichita Police Department?
                          They are pretty quiet as is the media. It all seems very strange to me. It appears respectful but we know the media isn't respectful.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

where is the Wichita Police Department?
                            They are pretty quiet as is the media. It all seems very strange to me. It appears respectful but we know the media isn't respectful.
                            In this case they likely know the reason (s) for the act and don't want to subject the family to further pain and suffering and media attention. I would ‘speculate’ that a note was left behind. I also have a difficult time believing this was a ‘spur of the moment’ decision. :(
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

A lack of tact, sensitivity, knowledge, or common decency doesn't give one an excuse to post such nonsense in an anonymous forum. My family has had dealings with the Fahnestock's and they deserve their privacy and support from an appreciative community that grieves with them.

MTXE, you make me tired.
                              Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Nothing will change the fact that he left us too soon. Nothing will change the great deeds he did in life, and for that we are grateful.

The rest is irrelevant in regards to this forum--in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X