This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenWSU
    Anyone think this is related to him not getting much media attention for his help with the sales tax and the new arena ???
    The "Dumb Post of the Day" winner, hands down. Earth to Ben: get a grip, pal.

Comment

I was totally stunned. I got back in town tonight from Topeka, and saw the Eagle Headline and couldn't believe it.

Wichita and WSU lost a great supporter. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences and prayers are with his family.

Comment

Very sad news....The city and the unversity certainly has lost a stalwart supporter and visionary for our community that knew how to "Get it Done". My thoughts and prayers will be with his family.
        1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
          Originally posted by BenWSU
          Anyone think this is related to him not getting much media attention for his help with the sales tax and the new arena ???
          The "Dumb Post of the Day" winner, hands down. Earth to Ben: get a grip, pal.
          I agree, Mr. Fahnestock was one of the greatest people I ever got the chance to met. I am truly honored to call him one of my brothers and know he will be truly missed. BenWSU try to show some respect to his family and those, like me, who were close to him. Think if it was someone who ment a lot to you. Would you like someone to ask you questions like this?

RIP George. I know you are in a better place now. Wichita will truly feel your loss. :cry:
          The Assman

Comment

In Bens defense suicide is always going to raise honest questions as to why. It never makes sense.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and loved ones of George Fahnestock. I always appreciated through the years the passion he had for Shocker basketball and we had some enjoyable discussions on our Shocks. His many efforts in helping our community was awesome!!!!!!!
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                In Bens defense suicide is always going to raise honest questions as to why. It never makes sense.
                Agreed. Especially when from all outward appearances it is counter-intuitive. It's different when someone is known to be mentally ill or a substance abuser. When they seem to have the world by the tail, you can't help but have some questions.

However, I don't think I would have put it the way Ben did.

Comment

It is evident by his actions he was fighting some demons in his life. Let's hope he had been saved and confesses "Jesus as Lord" and was trusting in God grace.

Comment

It is not that Ben asked why but the speculation that a selfless person like George was down about "lack of attention". Dumb Post.

George was a GREAT man. Mr. Wichita AND Mr. Shocker. He is the main guy I remember seeing at every game I went to in the 1990s-supporting the team ALL the way.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      It is evident by his actions he was fighting some demons in his life. Let's hope he had been saved and confesses "Jesus as Lord" and was trusting in God grace.
                      Despite his problems, I do know he was a Godly man. I served with him and his wife on church boards. This truely is a sad day!

God Bless his family and friends.

But, most importantly, God Bless you George!

You will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by shocklight
                        Despite his problems, I do know he was a Godly man.
                        I don't know if I would go that far. Only God knows the inner workings and thoughts of man. We have to rely on our five senses for our observations. We don't know their thoughts.

If it actually was suicide, then God wouldn't consider him a godly man. In humanity's eyes, he might be because of all the good things he did, but not according to God's Laws.

I'm sure a lot of people back in the days of Jesus thought Judas Iscariot was a nice person until he hung himself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                          Despite his problems, I do know he was a Godly man.
                          I don't know if I would go that far. Only God knows the inner workings and thoughts of man. We have to rely on our five senses for our observations. We don't know their thoughts.

If it actually was suicide, then God wouldn't consider him a godly man. In humanity's eyes, he might be because of all the good things he did, but not according to God's Laws.

I'm sure a lot of people back in the days of Jesus thought Judas Iscariot was a nice person until he hung himself.
                          We are all sinners, does God then consider us all to be un-godly?

There is more to this story. However, it will never be made public and shouldn't be made public. I know George believed in God, and it is God who will judge our actions (no matter what they are), not men here on earth. George may have lost his way for a period of time (I don't know this). But, I have to think "Father forgive them, for they not know what they have done", may be the appropriate thought here.

As far as Judas Iscariot, was his suicide the worst sin he did, or betraying the Son of God? I don't think these two examples have the same magnitude and really should not be compared.

No matter what the reasons, it is in God's hands now.

Comment

No matter what the reasons, it is in God's hands now.
                            That was pretty much what I was trying to say.

Comment

I wanted to wait a bit before posting a few of my thoughts due to the sensitivity surrounding the issue of Mr. Fahnestock's passing.

Well here goes:

Something about George committing suicide just doesn't jibe with me. How could a man of his benevolence and selflessness even consider the trade-off of abandoning his teenage daughters for a relief of personal pain. It completely flies in the face of everything he stood for in his life.

This whole deal sounds like a murder made to look like a suicide to me. Does he have any business competitors that would have a motive? How is the relationship with his current wife or children? The son's rather stoic comments about what would be a massively startling event in most family's lives seemed rather odd to me.

It seems like there are always a couple non-fictional murder/mystery programs on at night. The Fahnestock 'suicide' seems like a possible contender for a made-for-tv story if more is discovered.

Comment

The second thing I wanted to comment on is the possibility of a large gift from the Fahnestock estate showing up on WSU's doorstep. GF was a HUGE Shocker supporter and I would think that a person with his passion could certainly have a policy with WSU's name on it.

This would make the whole suicide/murder issue even more important as suicides would certainly nullify some life insurance policies.

Comment

Working...
                                X