Pete Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Rose

Apparently some Hall-Of-Famers are advocating Pete Rose being admitted to the Hall of Fame (most notably Hank Aaron), and Commissioner Selig is apparently thinking about it. (All this on Mike and Mike in the Morning)

I am old enough to remember Pete's playing days and Mr. Charlie Hustle was just that. Loved watching him, and hated what happened later. On stats Rose absolutely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but he did violate the rules. There was discussion that if Rose is considered, why not Shoeless Joe and how can you exclude the steroids bunch. I would have to think about this some.

I'd say Shoeless Joe should go in before Rose if they ever really consider letting either in.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

To me, the Hall of Fame means nothing if they are going to embrace cheaters. If they want to acknowledge great achievements that were attained legitimately (like Rose), then include an exhibit that tells the whole story. But don't officially induct him.

Comment

A ‘Cheaters Hall of Shame’ sounds like a great idea to me. Sadly, it might ‘outdraw’ the Cooperstown Hall of Fame. It could be expanded to include non-sports crooks and swindlers. I can’t think of a better location than Vegas.

:D
        SFL is back!

Comment

So is there anyone that you could let in from the past 20 years with all certainty that they didn't cheat?!

Comment

Hell yes let him in. What he did as a player certainly justifies him as an HOF member. Let him in, but omit anything in his credentials regarding his tenure as a manager.

Baseball has been able to go on without any question on whether the game is fixed, (unlike the NBA and its officials), and has not sustained any permanent long term damage from Pete's gambling. Let the guy in. Besides, we got many potential HOF candidates with proven and questionable credentials that really have the MLB bent over.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxtop
              So is there anyone that you could let in from the past 20 years with all certainty that they didn't cheat?!
              Exactly!!!

Rose did nothing to give himself an advantage or to taint his statistics. The Roid boys did do something to give themselves an unfair advantage. If we were to keep people out of HOF for moral reasons, then i'm not sure too many athletes would make it in (Derrick Thomas?). This year will be the 20th anniversary of the lifetime ban he "agreed" too. I say "agreed" too because it was supposed to be a lifetime ban WITH an annual review by the commissioner.

Rose is considered by most people, many of his peers included, to already be a Hall of Famer. I don't see the harm in putting him in there. If they want to say he can no longer manage or coach in baseball, that's fine, but give the man his do. Anyone on their moral high horse needs to take a step back and really think about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCity
                Exactly!!!

Rose did nothing to give himself an advantage or to taint his statistics. The Roid boys did do something to give themselves an unfair advantage. If we were to keep people out of HOF for moral reasons, then i'm not sure too many athletes would make it in (Derrick Thomas?). This year will be the 20th anniversary of the lifetime ban he "agreed" too. I say "agreed" too because it was supposed to be a lifetime ban WITH an annual review by the commissioner.

Rose is considered by most people, many of his peers included, to already be a Hall of Famer. I don't see the harm in putting him in there. If they want to say he can no longer manage or coach in baseball, that's fine, but give the man his do. Anyone on their moral high horse needs to take a step back and really think about this situation.

"Hi Horse!"

SFL is back!

Comment

Hell yes, my favorite baseball player, the man, Ken Griffey Jr. They guy has kept it clean and there is not even one ounce of doubt regarding his stats. The problem with Griffey is that he never worked out very hard and kept in shape.

He simply relied year-in and year-out on his God given ability and that sustained him while he was young, but we all know what happens as you get older, the body gets tight, not as strong, does not rebound from injuries as fast and Griffey's lack of an exercise, strength training regiment cost him when he got into his 30's.

He is the only sure fire player with HOF numbers that I can think of that is a lock other than pitchers like Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Randy Johnson, John Smoltz. I guess Jim Thome is a lock and he has kept his nose clean as well. Omar Vizquel. Roberto Alomar. Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio. Frank Thomas is another one.

Comment

You ‘lefties’ never cease to amaze. :D

SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
                      You ‘lefties’ never cease to amaze. :D

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest ye be judged.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                        Hell yes let him in. What he did as a player certainly justifies him as an HOF member. Let him in, but omit anything in his credentials regarding his tenure as a manager.

Baseball has been able to go on without any question on whether the game is fixed, (unlike the NBA and its officials), and has not sustained any permanent long term damage from Pete's gambling. Let the guy in. Besides, we got many potential HOF candidates with proven and questionable credentials that really have the MLB bent over.
                        :good: :good: :good: Hall is already full of questionable types.

Is Keith Oberman trying to get in too? :D
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                        X