No announcement yet.

Chiefs offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have bigger issues right now then linebackers; I would love to see how Hali would do at OLB. We need to address our linemen situation and maybe a receiver. I was expecting a DE after the Zach Thomas signing, let's just hope this doesn't come back to bite us...

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234
      Originally posted by SB Shock
      Originally posted by KC Shox
      Well, I'm disappointed in this pick. I would love to have seen Curry. He could have been our Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. Oh well, perhaps moving Dorsey to his natural position and having Jackson on the end will pay dividends. We will see.
      I didn't find it that exciting either. Not sure it is great value but I guess the Chiefs did their best to trade down and it didn't work. Still think I would rather had Curry.
      Problem is Curry dont fit the 3-4 scheme, 3-4 DE are very rare. You can find ILB later in the draft. Its not a sexy pick, but its a pick that had to be made, it was a patriots type of pick
      Can anyone explain what is different for the personnel for the 3-4 defense and what qualities linemen need to possess to run this defense that is different from the 4-3? I keep hearing over and over that Jackson is a great pick for the 3-4, but he wasn't the top DE available at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
        Originally posted by newshock1234
        Well, I'm disappointed in this pick. I would love to have seen Curry. He could have been our Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. Oh well, perhaps moving Dorsey to his natural position and having Jackson on the end will pay dividends. We will see.
        I didn't find it that exciting either. Not sure it is great value but I guess the Chiefs did their best to trade down and it didn't work. Still think I would rather had Curry.
        Problem is Curry dont fit the 3-4 scheme, 3-4 DE are very rare. You can find ILB later in the draft. Its not a sexy pick, but its a pick that had to be made, it was a patriots type of pick
        Can anyone explain what is different for the personnel for the 3-4 defense and what qualities linemen need to possess to run this defense that is different from the 4-3? I keep hearing over and over that Jackson is a great pick for the 3-4, but he wasn't the top DE available at the time.
        3-4 DE pretty much protect the LB, so we can rush around the tackle. They are generally abour 6'5 and around 290-310. Here is a old article by Michael Smith explaining why 3-4 defense Ends are a must to run the 3-4 defense.

If stats are your thing, then playing defensive line in a 3-4 probably isn't for you.
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
          With the 3-4 you need to have a good tough NT and big DE's. The goal is for D to force lineman into double-team the 3 downlinemen and then that leave your LB's unblocked to stop the run or blitz the passes. I think why they are high on Jackson is he's got good size and is considered a "5-Technique" DE (i.e. he's used to lineup between the OT and TE).

Question is will the Chiefs go for a DT Gilbert to play nose tackle?

Comment

• Thought we would have got an OT but this was a suprise
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• This wasn't a surprise but it thrills nobody I've talked to today.

The biggest head scratcher of the day was Oakland though. Darrius Hayward-Bey over Crabtree? What is Al Davis smoking?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                This wasn't a surprise but it thrills nobody I've talked to today.

The biggest head scratcher of the day was Oakland though. Darrius Hayward-Bey over Crabtree? What is Al Davis smoking?
                When is the last time he made a good move for this franchise? :lol:

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234
                  Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
                  3-4 DE pretty much protect the LB, so we can rush around the tackle. They are generally abour 6'5 and around 290-310. Here is a old article by Michael Smith explaining why 3-4 defense Ends are a must to run the 3-4 defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ael&id=1946758
                  Thanks!

Comment

Isn't medical marijuana legal in California? :)

Al Davis should step down and let someone else be general manager for the sake of the team. However, since I hate the Raiders, this isn't such a bad thing!

Comment

u see their 2nd round pick, and this is no Joke, they took some safety out of Ohio and Maylock from NFL network said he was projected as a 7th rounder

Comment

• Q: What are your emotions right now?

TYSON JACKSON: “Right now I am just so proud that the Kansas City Chiefs selected with the third pick. I have a roller coaster going through my body right now. I am going to come down there and give them everything I possibly have on the football field and in the community and try and make the Kansas City Chiefs a better place.”

Q: How much contact did you have with the Chiefs prior to today?

JACKSON: “I spoke with them a few times at the combine. I came to visit the Chiefs in Missouri. Not too much from there. I just look forward to getting to know all the coaches on the coaching staff and the players.”

Q: Do you have a preference in playing the 3-4 or 4-3?

JACKSON: “I don’t mind. I consider myself a complete football player, so either a 4-3 or a 3-4. I can always get used to that 3-4 and get adjusted to it. Once I learn the playbook it is on. It is nothing but football.”
                        ...Continued Q & A

Notes on Tyson Jackson

Comment

• ESPN John Clayton on the draft:

Denver rookie head coach Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team. He signed three running backs in free agency and drafted another (Knowshon Moreno). And then he sent Denver's first-round choice in 2010 to Seattle for this year's 37th overall choice, which he used to pick cornerback Alphonso Smith. That's bizarre. Mike Shanahan must be laughing at that one.
                          The best move for Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli was not trading defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey to Atlanta. Giving Dorsey and Tony Gonzalez to the Falcons might have made the Falcons the favorites for the Super Bowl. It was no surprise Pioli took a defensive end, Tyson Jackson, in the first round. Like New England, his former employer, Pioli wants to build a strong defensive line.
                          Another article from ESPN on Chiefs

The Chiefs' selection of Tyson Jackson with the third pick overall does not generate buzz, but new GM Scott Pioli hopes time will reveal this was a solid choice, Jeffri Chadiha writes.

There was no mistaking what Scott Pioli wanted to do with his first pick as general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs.

He wasn't looking for a player who would be a sexy pick. He also claims he wasn't looking to enhance his reputation as a master trader on draft day. Instead, Pioli only cared about finding a player who fit the image he has for this team. On Saturday afternoon, Pioli tried convincing everybody that LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson was that guy...

"He's a big, long, strong player who plays sideline to sideline," Haley said. "Those guys don't grow on trees."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan963
                            Q: What are your emotions right now?

TYSON JACKSON: “Right now I am just so proud that the Kansas City Chiefs selected with the third pick. I have a roller coaster going through my body right now. I am going to come down there and give them everything I possibly have on the football field and in the community and try and make the Kansas City Chiefs a better place.”

Q: How much contact did you have with the Chiefs prior to today?

JACKSON: “I spoke with them a few times at the combine. I came to visit the Chiefs in Missouri. Not too much from there. I just look forward to getting to know all the coaches on the coaching staff and the players.”

Q: Do you have a preference in playing the 3-4 or 4-3?

JACKSON: “I don’t mind. I consider myself a complete football player, so either a 4-3 or a 3-4. I can always get used to that 3-4 and get adjusted to it. Once I learn the playbook it is on. It is nothing but football.”
                            ...Continued Q & A

Notes on Tyson Jackson
                            He sounds like a nice respectful person

Comment

• The Chiefs just selected DT Alex McGee from Purdue.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The Chiefs just selected DT Alex McGee from Purdue.
                                another great pick, I like that Pioli is trying to build up that D Line.

Comment

Working...
                                X